Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Marketing Degree

Options
  • 11-04-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Just looking for a bit of info on the above course, Its my number 1 on the CAO. In general, is it a good course and what are the modules and lecturers like? Also, I'll be 21 by the time I get there, does there be many people that aren't fresh out of secondary school? I've been told that the language option is only French or German, I did French in school and did really well but feel that I've lost a lot of it in the 3 years I've been out of school. Is is possible to do one of those short courses offered by the School of languages in something like Italian?? Sorry for the long winded post. Any info would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Hey Ash, im a veteran of the course (just finishing 4th year) so i should be able to shed some light on those issues....

The lecturers are all good, some are great and you will get on famously with them, others are somewhat lacking....but you are going to get that anywhere.

Modules are ok....if it hasnt changed since i was in first year, you do alot of general business subjects like management, law, quantitative methods and of course, marketing...some people complained that they didnt see the point to some of these, but they do give you a good grounding in business theory and are not that bad in terms of subject material and exams.

With regards to the language, i can only speak from my year, but there were barely enough people to keep the french option going, so im not too sure how likely it is that you could swing an Italian module...... it could happen but i wouldnt bet on it

I will note that the best thing about this course is the erasmus period in 3rd year. the two years leading up to this are worth it if you can get a good country (there are no bad countries btw).

Otherwise i have gathered that there are the same ups and downs as in most other colleges

There will be a few above the age of 18, but again, this depends on the year. it shouldnt make too much of a difference tho.

Any more questions, please ask away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

Thanks. Yeah the Erasmus semester seems like a really good opportunity. Where did you go for yours? What are the assignments like? Is it more CA or exams?

I went to Arnhem in Holland and loved every minute of it.

Its a pretty even balance of CA and exams. Exams are typically worth 30-40% of the total year with most subjects having 2-3 CAs over the year. Nothing you wouldnt be able to handle. It is mostly group work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

Do you need to buy much books for the course? And if so, which ones are the most useful? Think I want to buy a couple before I start.

Dont buy any books till fourth year. Use the library instead. Aungier st library is the best one in DIT, and is especially good for marketing students. If you really want one for before you start you will probably be using Kotler et al in 1st year. He is a marketing big wig. The book is called principles of marketing. But again, you really dont need to buy it, nor do you need to look at it in any great detail before you start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement