Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Fees

Options
  • 11-04-2008 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the fees are per year in DIT. I've done 2 years in another college so will have to pay for my first two years in DIT. So other than the normal government fee, what else will I have to pay. I've tried the DIT website but cant find anything up to date. I'll be doing the Marketing degree.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

The capitation fee is about 800 euro. The best thing to do would be to ring them because the fees vary according to different situations. For example how many modules you are doing, nationality etc.

In my course (computer science) the fee for the entire year is around 10,000 euro, but this only applies to non european nationals. From the info youve given its impossible to say how much it would be so best thing is to ring them.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

strychnine wrote: »
    The capitation fee is about 800 euro. The best thing to do would be to ring them because the fees vary according to different situations. For example how many modules you are doing, nationality etc.

In my course (computer science) the fee for the entire year is around 10,000 euro, but this only applies to non european nationals. From the info youve given its impossible to say how much it would be so best thing is to ring them.

Hope this helps

I repeated a full year in computer science (degree) and it was only €2,250. Suppose I am Irish though! Ash I'd say it would be around €2,500 if you are Irish. Ring the admissions department in aungier st.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

Yup, I'm Irish. Was really relying on a grant to help towards the fees. But I was told today that I cant get a grant for the first 2 years even tho I've never gotten one before. Their logic is really f**ked up, I'm paying fees for the first 2 years, therefore I could really do with a grant. But no, they give it to me the last 2 years of the course. :mad:

ash xxx wrote: »
    Yup, I'm Irish. Was really relying on a grant to help towards the fees. But I was told today that I cant get a grant for the first 2 years even tho I've never gotten one before. Their logic is really f**ked up, I'm paying fees for the first 2 years, therefore I could really do with a grant. But no, they give it to me the last 2 years of the course. :mad:

The logic behind that is that people are more likely to drop out in the first two years than the last two. If someone drops out without repeating the course then the grant money has been wasted. Also, people are in a better position to be able to have part time jobs etc in the early stages of the course than in the latter stages, because the work load is heavier towards the end.

Also remember that if you did two years elsewhere and didnt complete that course they will have taken that into account, since the government was subsidising you in that course with no end result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

well i'm in 3rd year now n they still haven't sent me the bill for 1st year!! doubt that'll last long but it's great while it does. i contacted the accounts office and all they could say it was €x amount 2 years ago, but by the time you do the course it could be more.... also, don't let them tell you you can't get a grant! keep fighting for one no matter what... i stupidly believed them and didn't even apply, turns out i could have gotten one or at least a student assistance fund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Also, if you can't get any kind of grant you might qualify for a tax rebate on the fees. It's capped at about €350, but it's still better than nothing. Don't know what the situation for full students, but I'm parttime and working so have made PAYE payments so I qualify. Just letting you know of another option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

hoping to head to dit this year myself, already done a year in another college in another course but failed miserably so left, i know i can't get a grant in first year, but can reapply in second year...so we've been told anyway, i also heard summit about them taking the money of my original grant back...very odd and not heard any more about it since so i guess the details there were wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

strychnine wrote: »
    The logic behind that is that people are more likely to drop out in the first two years than the last two.

Thunder strikes again. What are you basing that on? They don't refuse to pay you a grant because you're more likely to drop out in the first two years, they just don't pay a grant to repeat students for reasons you and other people have gone into, mainly the fact that you've already wasted government money.

Thunder strikes again. What are you basing that on? They don't refuse to pay you a grant because you're more likely to drop out in the first two years, they just don't pay a grant to repeat students for reasons you and other people have gone into, mainly the fact that you've already wasted government money.

Heres a statistic. In the 2006/07 year there were 80 students admited to DT228. About 20 passed into second year. Im in my final year myself and somehow i doubt in the next 6 weeks 25% of the class are going to call it quits. I think generally if people have come so far they are more likely to stick it out till the end to at least get something.

Advertisement