Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dubliner, want to SAVE Liberty Hall!

Options
  • 11-04-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Save Liberty Hall

I always thought there was a general consensus around Dublin that this is a terrible building and should be knocked down.

I have the feeling that the only reason people want to keep it, is the fact that it's been standing so long, not because they like it aesthetically.

Save Liberty Hall 18 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    NevyntuxyBendiBusJoeSchmoeirlirishkevcorDiarmsquidRivetalostexpectationspurioussubwayDrummerboy2Tails142Collie Dcheerioadmiralofthefleetrossie1977cml387 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

No
    ill probably get chastised for this but i think its a good looking building, its just a shame they still havent replaced the broken window facing o connell street. if they want an ugly building to tear down then i would suggest hawkins house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I think the term knocked down is too tame a term to use where liberty hall is concerned. It should be wiped from the face of earth,as should the person who designed it,the one who approved it and any one who recieved a brown envelope. I'd call it grotesk if I could spell it properly.
    Anyone who votes no could also be included in the cull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

+1 to it being "grotesk"! Is it true that Bono owns the top floor? Was told this by a fellow Siptuie but he's a fanticist so I didn't believe him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

If anyone watches the end of Fair City, the angle of the Liffey with Liberty Hall, it looks great. However its a nothing building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

What's a nothing building?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Clink wrote: »
    What's a nothing building?

Liberty Hall is... Try to keep up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Liberty Hall is... Try to keep up.

What does "nothing" building mean?Its not in any grammar book i've ever read..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

ha.. I think only estebancambias can tell us that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

A 'nothing' building is one which despite actually being a phsyical structure offers nothing to nobody. It offers no advantages...Torch it I say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No
    I like Liberty Hall.
    I wish they would replace the windows with the original glazing though - they looked much better (from what I can see in old photos).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

No
    landmark building imo - needs serious refurb though to bring it up to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Tails142 wrote: »
    landmark building imo - needs serious refurb though to bring it up to date

Its so out dated it aint funny. it would probably cost more to fix it than to knock it down and put something else there. I have family friends who worked in there over the last 30 years and they said they building hasnt changed one bit inside and out. It well and truly is old school and most likely is more of a hazard than anything else. It is an eyesore and will serve nobody any purpose in future years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Apparently it looked far better with the original windows - which they never replaced.

Like most buildings it would probably look much nicer if it was maintained properly - and I think part of its problem is how out of place it looks amongst the likes of the Custom House and the low-rise georgian buildings on Eden Quay.

That said I can't imagine any improvements - to it or the surrounding area - that would make it anything more than a tolerable building.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I hafta say i kind of like it,it has s certasin flyblown chic from a more innocent age when money wasnt God.Leave it alonei say and knock down the bono tower whenever it's built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I don't really know what I prefer, it is a bit of an eye soar though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Knock down the GPO & replace it with a huge internet kiosk to send our mail.

GPO - out dated mailing methods & bastions of revolution's have no place in modern, multi-cultural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Knock the GPO??? liberty hall is the subject at hand. GPO is a beautiful building, both in appearance and historical significance.
    Down with that sort of talk.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think it stands too close to the liffey and acts to double underline the iron curtain effect of the railway bridge. A lower building set further back or (god forbid)a green space at that corner would act in opening the city up visually towards the ifsc. It could also create a good scape of busarus (beautiful). Which the archetect obviously had his eye on when he put pen to paper for liberty hall.
    Take it down if the space is going to be utilised correctly. Now that's a hopin. The north city badly needs a green area with playground and scateboard park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

No
    And my yes vote puts the scores neck and neck. I like Liberty Hall for some reason. Now Busáras is only ugly building thta I wouldn't miss. Also as somebody mentioned Hawkins House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

humberklog wrote: »
    Take it down if the space is going to be utilised correctly. Now that's a hopin. The north city badly needs a green area with playground and scateboard park.

There are loads already.
    There's a playground just off Sheriff St and another just by Mountjoy Sq.
    Can't get more central than that.
    Dublin lacks many, many things but parks and green spaces is not one!

Skateboard park? I hear the Central Bank is good ;)

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    There are loads already.
    There's a playground just off Sheriff St and another just by Mountjoy Sq.
    Can't get more central than that.
    Dublin lacks many, many things but parks and green spaces is not one!

Skateboard park? I hear the Central Bank is good ;)
    From O'connell bridge Mountjoy sq.is a schlep with kids (it's an excellent park with well kept amenities). I,like many would find sherrif st. a bit off beaten track and perhaps intimidating. So I'm really struggling here to think of green space with amenities in north city. Skateboard areas breath life into a city.
    As for someone earlier saying that busarus is ugly! It's one of dublin's most beautiful. Philistines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Ugly, very dated looking building - knock it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Liberty Hall has very few redeeming qualities. Should have been blown up by aliens in the movie Independence Day, tbh.

Bard wrote: »
    Liberty Hall has very few redeeming qualities. Should have been blown up by aliens in the movie Independence Day, tbh.
    After all it was erected by aliens after independence day.

Advertisement