Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 5 series brake fluid

Options
  • 11-04-2008 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi, im trying to top up the brake fluid in a 99 5 series BMW. I have looked in the owners manual but it does not state where the brake fluid can be topped up. I have looked under the bonnet and can see there are places where I could remove the cap and put fluid in but its not clearly marked out. The only things marked out are the oil and windscreen fluid. It says in the manual that you should take it to a BMW garage to get them to top up brake fluid. I was under the impression that it is a straightforward job......Any clues????

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

It's under the drivers side pollen filter. There are two windscreen wash resevoirs which are probably causing you some confusion.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also get the fluid type correct (Dot 4 or whatever). My 97 E39 manual states where the fluid reservoir is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lemonhead77

Hey thanks for the response, ok so i managed to get the pollen filter off and filled up the brake fluid resevoir. Unfortunatly this had not solved my problem the ABS lights are still on on my dash. Anyone else ever experience this problem

ABS light or brake fluid light?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

Hey thanks for the response, ok so i managed to get the pollen filter off and filled up the brake fluid resevoir. Unfortunatly this had not solved my problem the ABS lights are still on on my dash. Anyone else ever experience this problem

If its your ABS light then I'd say brake fluid would have nothing to do with it. It could be, amongst other things, a sensor. It sounds like a diagnostics job to me if it definitely is the ABS light.

• Advertisement

ABS light is on, when i read through the manual it said that the brake fluid might be low but as its obviously not the brake fluid i gueus i should take it in somewhere to have checked out. Does anyone know where I should take it(apart from official BMW garage), im guessing it has to be plugged into some sort on computer and a diognostics check run on it. Im on the northside(dublin).

Thanks for the previous responses

Where are you based?
    Mr. Diagnostic on here may be able to suit (contact via PM) or else try AC cars off Dublin's SCR

I live in howth, but will drive the car wherever it needs to go. who is Mr.Diagnostic??

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭walshe

unless you have a leak you should never top up your brake fluid. as your brakes wear down the fluid level drops accordingly, so that when the brake light comes on on your dash its time to change your brakes. if however you top up your fluid the brake light will not come on and the next thing you know is that you hear a grinding noise when you press the brake pedal meaning you dont just need new pads you now need discs too because the grinding your hearing is the metal backing plate on your pads rubbing off your disc.

moral= brakes are important, if there is a problem bring your car to someone who knows what they are doing

Advertisement