Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what size board??

Options
  • 11-04-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

hey i'm just wonderin, cz im buyin a board this summer but dont know what exact size to get. im 5'4 in height and just over 8st if that matters. ???? any ideas, thanks xxx:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

If you could provide more details it would help.
    This is your first surfboard right?
    Are you athletic, good balance etc....
    Male/Female?
    Your weight and height are very important, you're short and light so you can go with a smaller board and still have loads of float and stability if you're learning. Let us know more and we will look after you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Give your age too

I'd start looking at something around 6'6" or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

yes this is my first board. im female, 21 yrs old, and as i said 5'4" and just over 8st.
    oh i didnt think how athletic you are had anythin to do with what type of board.
    i've pretty good balance on the waves, and yeah im ok in the athletics dept., i wouldnt say im unfit.
    but the only boards i've really used are the Swell hard foam boards (the beginners ones) only used the proper ones a few times, got on pretty ok!
    need anymore info?
    go raibh maith agaibh xx:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

emzolita wrote: »
    yes this is my first board. im female, 21 yrs old, and as i said 5'4" and just over 8st.
    oh i didnt think how athletic you are had anythin to do with what type of board.
    i've pretty good balance on the waves, and yeah im ok in the athletics dept., i wouldnt say im unfit.
    but the only boards i've really used are the Swell hard foam boards (the beginners ones) only used the proper ones a few times, got on pretty ok!
    need anymore info?
    go raibh maith agaibh xx:)

My girlfriend is smaller than you & got a 7'2" NSP last year and initially had some trouble balancing. There's a huge difference between these boards and the big stable foam boards, just look at them side by side and you'll appreciate how much extra bouyancy & balance the foam provides, though with practice you'll be fine.

My recommendation would be consider at least a 7'2 up as far as a 7'6, remember as well that you have to carry it, so make sure you can get your arm around the middle of it - this is another concern when you're small.
    If gonna buy online, at least check a couple of boards in the flesh & make note of the width, then you'll know what to expect when looking online.

Of course the more often you get out on the waves the quicker you will master it, but if its only gonna be infrequently, then aim for a bigger board.

We had the best will in the world when buying our boards last year, but didnt get out in the water as often as we would have liked - hopefully with a nicer summer this year we might get out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 bogfire

Get the biggest board you can handle, the bigger the board, the easier it will be to catch waves and stay balanced on the board. As you become more proficient, you will want to drop down to a shorter more manoeuvrable board. Don’t invest too much in your first board – get a cheap NSP or BIC – I’d say at least over 8’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

I wouldn't necessarily go for the biggest board you can get tbh. The bigger the board the wider it would be in a lot of cases and that's a disaster for someone not so broad i.e. I'm guessing you wouldn't be :D the reason being if it is too wide then you will find it too difficult to paddle as your arms need to go out before they can get into the water and takes more work to move.

7'3" or 7'6" BIC is just the job for you, or the NSP would be fine just needs more care. At your size that will be floaty and maneuverable, I reckon the 7' 3" would be more than enough for you.

Advertisement