Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs Arsenal

• 11-04-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

United Fan here; wanted a seperate thread from the weekend thread...

It's the battle of the greatest(no offence) but it would be interesting to see who wins...
    I think Park should be in the line up he's been playing really well of late...

Arsenal have a lot to fight for, especially after Anfield....

Who will win? 79 votes

Arsenal Win
    0%
    United Win
    17%
    zAbbomachiavellianmeVillainjesus_thats_grekeano_afcwardiemayordenisMalicexabilpool2k05~Marky~ThrillpatrickcPride Fighter 14 votes
    Arsenal Win (Arsenal Fans)
    34%
    Thanx 4 The FishBounty Huntermike65TuskyGuanYinGuy:IncognitocruiserweightRoarChardee MacDennisJazzyJonny Arson[Deleted User]Mr MagnoliaRudolph ClausCharliewalshkiBeans_OnleninbenjaminGrid.dsmythy 27 votes
    United Win (United Fans)
    5%
    wanabecashback[Deleted User]OPENROAD 4 votes
    Draw
    43%
    Jimi-SpandexPHBMossy MonkChongbucks73T-b0n3smemonlordgoatIagobennyx_obestyUnearthlyBrian017Mr.Nice Guyd22ontourRedorDeadCutie18Irelandandrewiefish fingersMad_Max 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

MIN2511 wrote: »
    United Fan here; wanted a seperate thread from the weekend thread...

It's the battle of the greatest(no offence) but it would be interesting to see who wins...

Arsenal have a lot to fight for, especially after Anfield....

Battle of the greatest lol :D

i think united have too much for them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Draw
    4-0

Rooney, Fletcher(2) and Nani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I would like to see

VDS
    Crusty
    Snoop
    Pickachu
    Paddy
    Hardy Harg

Micky Rock
    Ginger Legend---
    -Viper
    Ji---
    Wazza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Draw
    Arsenal are a wounded animal now and I'm quite concerned about this game. I think it will be a close match and I reckon United will just edge it. I expect a few scares though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Draw
    Thing that scares me is that last season before this fixture Man Utd were in great form, and Arsenal had not even won a game that season, but they outplayed Man Utd and won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Draw
    I totally agree, especially after Anfield(they played well but Lpool had the upper hand).... I see a few yellow cards and maybe a red....
    United might have an advantage playing at home and i think they have a stronger(IMO) team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Arsenal are a wounded animal now and I'm quite concerned about this game. I think it will be a close match and I reckon United will just edge it. I expect a few scares though.
    People call teams "wounded animals" as if its a good thing. Now Pigheads no wildlife expert but if I were in the jungle and there was a Tiger chasing me I'd much prefer it if he were wounded rather than fully fit.

Fair enough if the wounds a superficial one on his face it wouldn't make too much difference to the Tigers ability to chase, catch and maim you but if the wound were a 12" deep gash on his back leg which severley hindered his ability to run then to be perfectly honest I wouldn't be scared in the slightest. There would be no running away, it'd be a swaggering stroll all the way.

And lets be honest about this, Arsenals wounds aren't superficial, they're deep 12" gashy ones that are gonna hinder their ability to play to their best. I expect some swaggering from Utd on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pighead wrote: »
    People call teams "wounded animals" as if its a good thing. Now Pigheads no wildlife expert but if I were in the jungle and there was a Tiger chasing me I'd much prefer it if he were wounded rather than fully fit.

Fair enough if the wounds a superficial one on his face it wouldn't make too much difference to the Tigers ability to chase, catch and maim you but if the wound were a 12" deep gash on his back leg which severley hindered his ability to run then to be perfectly honest I wouldn't be scared in the slightest. There would be no running away, it'd be a swaggering stroll all the way.

And lets be honest about this, Arsenals wounds aren't superficial, they're deep 12" gashy ones that are gonna hinder their ability to play to their best. I expect some swaggering from Utd on Sunday.

Post of the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

United Win

What if that wounded tiger gets an early swipe and wounds you right back? I know who'll be finishing his dinner then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Draw
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Poll?

Added in.

As for the game the game, each first choice 11 vs. each other, perfectly fit, I think the tie could go either way.

However, I'm pretty confident of a United victory for a couple of reasons.

We're at home

Sagna and Flamini are out injuried. That means either Senderos or Hoyte has to play. Huge defensive weakness to be exploited (I'm hoping Hoyte plays)

Fabregas is utterly exhausted. Really really tired. I think his lack of being rotated is why his form has dropped, and it showed against Liverpool where he was a shadow of his former self. I hope that continues.

United have rested their big stars, Ronaldo, Rooney, Evra, Scholes all fully fresh. Also so many of Uniteds players seem to be finding form, especially our central midfielders.

I expect United to line up like this

VDS
    --Brown---Ferdinand--Pique----Evra----
    Carrick--Scholes
    --Ronaldo
    Anderson
    Park (Nani if fit)-
    Rooney

I think that should be enough to see us through, but I'm very worried about it. Huge game for United and Arsenal. IMO, both sides really need to win. United can afford to draw/lose, but it'd be a huge blow to their title credentials. I don't want to have to go to Stamford Bridge needing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

a repeat of the 6-1 romp a few years ago would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Draw

Definitely agree with this.

Utds record when Park starts is astonishing. The win over Roma was his 17th start in the last two seasons – and we have won every one of those games.
    In his nine starts since the turn of the year, United have scored 18 goals and conceded none....so yeah, Parks got to start!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

United Win
    Arsenal are going to win this. Tis the perfect game to bounce back from a disappointing few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

United aint all that especially when expectations are high. if Sagan makes it we have a chance, otherwise yee will exploit ous again and could do damage..

We can a pull performances out when least expected and Boro showed just how dodgy yee are without Vidic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Arsenal fan, but I can't see past United on Sunday...we're looking very tired, in poor form with no luck and missing players. United on the other hand, while they aren't exactly firing on all cylinders, they don't look tired in the slightest and even with Vidic out and Ferdinand not fully fit, I think that will make all the differene!

Obviously hope I'm wrong by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Man U better win because Chelsea are ready to pounce! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Draw
    PHB wrote: »

I expect United to line up like this

VDS
    --Brown---Ferdinand--Pique----Evra----
    Carrick--Scholes
    --Ronaldo
    Anderson
    Park (Nani if fit)-
    Rooney

Would love to see tevez start instead of anderson and us go 4-4-2 but i think you may be close with the above.

Tevez is a big game player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Draw
    It will be a close game but with Arsenals injury problems and United having a fresh Rooney and Ronaldo I think it will swing it in Uniteds favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Draw
    As much as it pains me to say it I do not see Arsenal winning this Sunday. Too tired.

Blast, I was supposed to pick Arsenal Win (Arsenal Fans). I picked the United Fans option. i am tired too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Were you watching tv on Tuesday evening? I think MU will win it but I hope Arsenal get a draw to keep the race interesting for neutrals, or that Arsenal win because their football deserves a trophy, however unlikely that is.

From a partisan viewpoint, it's good for Liverpool if Chelsea have a good chance of winning the league in their game with MU in between our CL ties. Hoping for a good game, I'm sure the greatest won't disappoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

United Win
    I hope Arsenal win. It will be some achievement if they manage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Nunu wrote: »
    Definitely agree with this.

Utds record when Park starts is astonishing. The win over Roma was his 17th start in the last two seasons – and we have won every one of those games.
    In his nine starts since the turn of the year, United have scored 18 goals and conceded none....so yeah, Parks got to start!:D

+1

Parks a fantastic player when fit. i'd have him in my team everyday of the week ahead of Giggs and Nani.

edit: can't see past a United victory tbh. although i'd much rather Arsenal to win, i'd say the best they can get at this stage is a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Man Utd to win this with room to spare, Wenger to literally explode on Sky Sport live.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Draw
    mike65 wrote: »
    Man Utd to win this with room to spare, Wenger to literally explode on Sky Sport live.

Mike.
    And Liam Brady cancels his Sky subscription because he never would have ordered it if he knew Sky were going to show Wenger explode. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Draw
    I hope United go for 442... I'd be confident we'll win if we go for that.

VDS
    Brown----Rio
    Pique---Evra

Carrick
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Park

Rooney---Tevez

=win

Didn't realise Sagna is out... great news really, he's a fantastic defender. I'd say Paddy Evra will run riot down the left now. If we had a fit Nani, I'd have him on instead of Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

United Win
    Bacary Sagna
    Bacary Sagna (ankle) will be absent for the trip to Old Trafford. The French defender has been out since the Premier League clash with Chelsea. Arsène Wenger had suggested that Sagna could be fit in time for the clash in Manchester but on Thursday the manager revealed that the game has come to soon.

as well as flamini. all not good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

expect it to be a tight game, probably a draw imo, this is a make or break game for arsenal while manu know that a draw would be suffiecent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

a draw is not sufficient for us, we need to win, we cant go to chelsea needing to get a result, it will give them all the impetus they need to make me vomit all over my beautiful widescreen!!!!

if united play with 2 up top, (rooney,tevez) i think we will win. if we go the other route it will take a couple of really big performances to seal it.

i voted draw because i can see us not scoring more then once and i fancy the arse to nick one aswell

if we got an early goal i think we would win comfortably, but if we go out with the 4231 yoke then i dont see it happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

man utd with room to spare, arsenal have won one league game since Feb 11th and 2 games in total in that time (the other was the win in milan), that wounded animal is nearly dead at this stage :eek:

why are arsenal not winning?? perhaps rotation is to blame or maybe zonal marking or maybe over-reliance on star players :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

rossie1977 wrote: »
    why are arsenal not winning?? perhaps rotation is to blame or maybe zonal marking or maybe over-reliance on star players :rolleyes:

Hardly, the squad is to thin and they've had way too many injuries, the players look absolutely wrecked because Wenger didn't get a chance to rotate properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

To quote Keegan either team could win or it could be a draw. Why hasn't he said things like that since he came back?

Seriously I hope for otherwise but most likely is a reasonably comfy utd win (2-0 maybe). I think the big variable is Arsenals confidence more so than utds formation. Arsenal were brilliant on Tuesday for 30 minutes and dropped after Hyypia's goal. Its all confidence with them at the moment. If they can't put together a confident and consistent performance they'll almost certainly lose regardless of utds line up.

One thing they have to do is put Toure and Gallas back together at centre back - better to have a weakness at right back than centre back - maybe put Eboue at right back and Walcott at right midfield. After that we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

United Win
    And Liam Brady cancels his Sky subscription because he never would have ordered it if he knew Sky were going to show Wenger explode. :)
    :D
    One thing they have to do is put Toure and Gallas back together at centre back - better to have a weakness at right back than centre back - maybe put Eboue at right back and Walcott at right midfield. After that we'll see.
    That's a good idea. Anything that prevents Senderos getting on the pitch!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I expect Utd beat Arsenal by a couple of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Draw
    There is a weaknesses in Arsenals defence, I'm hoping United can exploit it.

Ultimately, I think the reason Arsenal have fell off is because their best players are just exhuasted. Fabregas looks absolutely wrecked to be honest, and I think thats why he'll get overrun over the 90 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Draw
    Arsene Wenger: The team that makes the best passes wins

Just heard that on Champions league review. Lol, Sorry Arsene but the teams the SCORES the most wins.

That being said i'm quietly confident of a Utd win tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

but i thought resting or rotating your best players in even one league game was WRONG, at least thats what the media people had me believe. YOU MUST PLAY YOUR BEST TEAM EVERY GAME........... Just like alex ferguson always does..... oh wait :pac:

players don't need a rest, thats what i have been taught to believe by SKY and the Sun etc. Fabregas didn't look tried 2 weeks ago in Milan in the last 5 minutes; a match that took place smack bang in the middle of this bad run :)

the truth is arsenal have hit their bad patch (a patch all teams go through at some point in the season). When you enter that patch and how long you remain is crucial to ones overall season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

This is one Arsenal fan that sees United taking 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Depends.

If it's Senderos CB, Toure RB and Eboue RW, then United at a canter.

If it's Toure CB, Eboue RB and Walcott RW, then I expect a close game.

Still, I'm going for a United win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I think United will have too much for Arsenal.

• Advertisement

United Win (United Fans)
    There is a litlle question of revenge after the last time we played man u. Our season was f*cked after that loss to man u. I don't think it'll be enough though and can't see anything but a man u win :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Mad_Max wrote: »
    That being said i'm quietly confident of a Utd win tomorrow.

not very quiet- you posted it on baords!! :pac:

im on the fence about this one, i dont know what way it could go, more than likely i thine we'l l see a draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

United Win (United Fans)
    Arsenal to score early. Too early. United to prey on their tiredness.
    As an Arsenal fan, I'm hoping for the best obviously.

Would love to see Senderos on the bench, Toure and Gallas in middle, Eboue RB and Theo on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

cashback wrote: »
    Would love to see Senderos on the bench,

I'd love to see Senderos on the plane back to Switzerland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Draw
    Lehman

Toure
    Song
    Gallas
    Clichy

Eboue
    Gilberto
    Fabregas
    Hleb

Van Persie
    Adebayor

vs

GK: VDS

RB: Brown
    CB: Ferdinand
    CB: Pique
    LB: Evra

RM: Ronaldo
    CM: Carrick
    CM: Scholes
    CM: Hargreaves
    LM: Park

CF: Rooney

Subs: PIG, O'Shea, Anderson, Giggs, Tevez

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Draw
    Lehman back in, what do arsenal fans make of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

United Win
    lordgoat wrote: »
    Lehman back in, what do arsenal fans make of that?

not impressed personally, after out last thrashing by utd, when he was in goal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

United Win

the idea of the anology is that it's like it's been punched not shot, its a little hurt and angry but not really affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

patrickc wrote: »
    not impressed personally, after out last thrashing by utd, when he was in goal.

Whats the alternative?(genuine question)

I assume Almunia is injured today? I havnt seen the names outside the first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

dive by Ronaldo...

• Advertisement
Advertisement