Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding more Ram - compatability

Options
  • 11-04-2008 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭

i was installing some audio software and an external soundcard today and i fell 200MB or so short of the Ram requirments to run the software, So I need a little upgrade but not sure which is compatable or which to get...

its a Compaq presario AMD athlon 64 processor 3200+ 1.99GHz, 448MB of Ram

and i checked the bios in the startup settings and got this...

Memory location: 512MB PC3200
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 512MB/DDR SDRAM
    Memory location: Empty

i take it i can add another 512 one in there to bump it up over the requirements needed

i don't know that much about this stuff but hopefully the info u got there will suffice, ill head up today and get it if i can get a quick answer! theres nothing worse than getting something new and not being able to use it, its like forgetting batteries at christmas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yep, should take another three modules if needed. If you go to either memoryc.com or crucial, they have memory configurators that will tell you the exact type of RAM that will work with your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

That crucial.com site is pretty cool, i couldnt find my exact model no anywhere, v handy indeed thx it was a.... HP - Compaq Presario SR1619UK desktop and can go up to 4gb with each memory slot which can hold DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot...

does cramming the ram up to the max really really increase the effeciancy of the computer, or will i just put a 512 or 1gb one in beside it and be grand, is it necessary to get a kit instead of just one, they all seem to be coming in pairs on the site

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1217244562.1207945357@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgfadedklmlhmgcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=ProductList&category_oid=-28001&show_all=true

any of those work? what about the different bus clock rates, i take it the hogher the better?

+ where did that installer install itself too!? so many q's sry

-=al=- wrote: »
    does cramming the ram up to the max really really increase the efficiency of the computer
    Yes and no. Depending on your system spec, adding RAM up to the max might be a waste, because your processor/graphics card might be the bottleneck in the system. Also some OS's would have a limit on the maximum RAM it can utilise. Generally for XP, 1 Gb is sufficient, with anything more than 2Gb a waste.

Yeah I read that about Xp being grand wth 1Gb, So I figure ill just add another 512 one in there, or even a 1Gb but 512 sounds like it will do the job grand.

one last thing,

are they the right ones I selected on the Pc world link -

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1396359233.1207949639@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgfadedklmlhmgcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&show_all=true&category_oid=-28001&page=ProductList

The only difference in them is the different Bus Clock Rate which is at 266MHz, 333MHz and 400MHz, Does it make much a difference?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1396359233.1207949639@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgfadedklmlhmgcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=658360&category_oid=

That one seems to tick all the boxes compared to the one at the crucual site//

Crucial

Module Size: 512MB
    Package: 184-pin DIMM
    Feature: DDR PC3200
    Specs: DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 64Meg x 64

Pcworld

512MB Memory Module
    DDR DIMM for Desktops
    400MHz Bus Clock Rate
    184 pin Configuration
    Non-ECC
    10 Year Manufacturer Warranty

That will work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shop4memory.com, a place based in Celbridge, Co. Kildare, and which ships free to anywhere in Ireland sells 1GB for €50. Something to keep in mind when you pop into PC World. Oh, and most of them are sales people I've found, so do keep that in mind when they start throwing stuff at you which may speed up your PC.

Thx for ur help Irlrobins

I think I used shop4memory before, a few years back for a 256MB MMC card for my phone! i think it was 30eu for it, hah seems so long ago, before the mp3/video boom on phones took off...

anyways im only down the road from Celbridge, do they have an actual shop or is it an office or something? it will save my goin to liffey valley + ive worked in dixons before i know the sale people deal :p i didnt wana order it on the net, save me using the credit card and kinda want it now!

does the manafacture make much of a difference? theres GeIL, G.Skill and A-data

I think if you ring them before hand they might let you pick up in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

anyways im only down the road from Celbridge, do they have an actual shop or is it an office or something?
    shop4emory wrote:
    Customers are also welcome to collect orders from us Monday-Friday between 9am-5.30pm. Please indicate on your order that you wish to collect the order from our premises and we will have it ready for collection.
    does the manafacture make much of a difference? theres GeIL, G.Skill and A-data
    Unless you plan to overclock it, or use it as part of a high end system, I don't find much of a difference. I'm using 2GB's of value pack RAM, and it runs everything grand.

Cool thanks ill try n find out tomorrow, and pick one up + ive 448MB of Ram the grapahics card must take up the other 64MB of Ram! but ill add a 1gb one 2mo for good measure

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement

I got it there today in pc world, it was 60 for 1gb, works aok and i could see the improvements in the performance immediatly, its a bit smoother and faster, ive 1.5Gb in there now and i installed the soundcard and softare aok, after much hassle but its in and done now

Advertisement