Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Offensive Football Chants?

• 11-04-2008 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭

Just wondering peoples opinions on a topic i was reading about recently.

It was about reprimanding Everton FC because of their fans chants against Gerrard. (Does anyone know what exactly they were singing about or implying btw? didnt hear it myself)

Also as a Man Utd fan myself, i felt a bit uneasy about witnessing a couple of thousand people chanting about Arsene Wenger being a paedophile.

where do we draw the line?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

What can you do though?

We live (and so do the UK) live in a country of free speech and the only means of policing such would result in big borther style control.

I think football has more pressing issues to deal with than blue chants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Those Gerrard chants were about his child not being his etc.

Generally any chant which is directed to the other team or players I'd consider offensive (if you can sing about the other team, why not sing about your own players?), especially those towards away fans, I cringe every time I hear 'WHO ARE YA' etc.

There's a good campaign here - http://www.reclaimthekop.co.uk/cgi-bin/main.pl?action=campaign

Also I think it's odd the Man U sing derogatory songs about Liverpool, even when they're not playing them (what's the point in that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hmmm.

A tough one.

We were playing Sporting Fingal in the LC recently and they have a player who always gets the following chanted at him.

(re-e-wind
    when the crowd say "bo"
    select-a)

"play-ers name
    when a girl says "no"
    Molest her"

That's pretty funny imo.

Also, some pretty choice stuff about George O'Callaghan too, which is also funny, because it does seem to wind him up.

And, I know this is true, another Cork City player, who had a spell with Shels, and I spent the whole of last seasons Cup game spewing vitriol at from the sideline. He's a winger, and his game was definitely affected, he kept drifting infield away from me. Even the City bench were laughing. Anyway, I met the same lad at the post-Cup Final FAI function then the City function in their hotel later that night, and I reminded him of the day. He remembered alright, asking "What did I do to that guy? Murder his family or something?". When I told him it was me he laughed and shook my hand, so that was fine.

Oh, and on the last day of last season, Pat Dolan was on the bench for Wexford Youths, and I was shouting abuse at him, he turned to me and gave the "wanker" gesture. That was pretty funny too.

Getting back to it though. There was a Drogs player who's wife died of cancer, and some set of fans (either Bohs or Rovers) were singing songs about that. That was wrong.

IMO, direct pisstaking, slagging and abuse is ok, but not when it involves the players' wife/kids/family.

As a United fan myself Im not happy about some of the songs they sing and the general abusive nature of some of the songs. I much prefer when they sing about the United players and about the team.

Free speech means u cant stop them though.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Those Gerrard chants were about his child not being his etc.
    That's very close to, or crossing the line imo.
    Generally any chant which is about the other team I'd consider offensive, especially those towards away fans
    Er...what?

There is nothing better than two sets of fans having pops off each other imo.

, I cringe every time I hear 'WHO ARE YA' etc..
    Yes, that "Who ah ya" chant is fúcking offensive, especially in Croke Park in an English accent :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Also I think it's odd the Man U sing derogatory songs about Liverpool, even when they're not playing them (what's the point in that)
    And on that one, I remember Cork City and Derry City fans in the Brandywell having a love-in one time, with the whole crowd chanting

"If you hate the fúckin' Shelbourne, clap your hands".

Yes, very good lads. Well done.

• Advertisement

I cringe every time I hear 'WHO ARE YA' etc.

Hope u dont plan on watchin the FA Cup Final this year so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The gerrard chant was "The baby's not yours, the baby's not yours. Oh, Steven Gerrard the baby's not yours". But that was nothing compared to the other song they sang that day about Michael Shields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Rule out say, racist chants and songs about dead people thats what I go by. As I mentioned in another thread we're talking about a football match not a cricket or badminton match for feck sake.

Rule out say, racist chants and songs about dead people thats what I go by. As I mentioned in another thread we're talking about a football match not a cricket or badminton match for feck sake.

Yeah, because cricket fans don't have distasteful chants.

:)

Here gav, is the shels forum down for you today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Honestly I believe the time the Celtic fans booed the minute Silence for the death of the Queen of England. The British Press went crazy with that. I felt it was understandable. Iraqi's wouldn't hold a minute silence for George Bush, or his son or his sons son.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    Yeah, because cricket fans don't have distasteful chants.

:)

Here gav, is the shels forum down for you today?

I stand corrected.:D

It is indeed, seems Gareth has forgotten to pay again.:eek:

Honestly I believe the time the Celtic fans booed the minute Silence for the death of the Queen of England. The British Press went crazy with that. I felt it was understandable. Iraqi's wouldn't hold a minute silence for George Bush, or his son or his sons son.

You're talking about two different situations.

Celtic: Scottish (= British) football club - Queen of England

George Bush: American President who invaded Iraqi, killing thousands.

I think its understandable to be annoyed by that booing. Death is death and people should be able to respect that. But apart from that, it just made them look petty and sad tbh. If I was a Celtic supporter I would feel embarrassed by that.

EDIT: This kinda reminded me of watching the Bernard Dunne fight when all the fans were booing God Save The Queen. I was truly ashamed to be Irish that night. The inbred fools that were booing are probably the same clowns who associate supporting Celtic with fighting for a united Ireland, even though they probably have fcuk all clue about the history of this country.

I think its understandable to be annoyed by that booing. Death is death and people should be able to respect that. But apart from that, it just made them look petty and sad tbh. If I was a Celtic supporter I would feel embarrassed by that.

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Actually, If you were a Celtic supporter you would have been delighted with that. :D

deisedevil wrote: »
    Actually, If you were a Celtic supporter you would have been delighted with that. :D

Despite the common perception, I am sure there are some 'true celtic' supporters who support the team purely out of footballing reasons, nothing else. I would imagine that they aren't too chuffed to be associated with such narrow-minded folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm paraphrasing, but wasn't there one recently at about Eduardo that went something like 'he had silky skills, now he walks like Heather Mills'. One half of me found it funny, but the other half felt a bit bad.

The chants about Sol Campbell a few years back were pretty bad though.

You're talking about two different situations.

Celtic: Scottish (= British) football club - Queen of England

George Bush: American President who invaded Iraqi, killing thousands.

I don't recall seeing Bush killing anyone

Many historians accept that more should have been done for the Irish. They gave little aid, instead Native Indians helped out, and Jamacians.

The fact is her family had a massive influence on destroying many people in Ireland's lives. It wasn't Genocide but it shows the evils of the British Monarchy. For the record I have nothing for or against English people but I do hate the Crown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What about the Kanu one?

"He's big, he's black
    He's had a heart attack"

Now on first view it would be deemed both racist and a poor jibe at the man's health, yet it's sung to him by his own fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

What can you do though?

We live (and so do the UK) live in a country of free speech and the only means of policing such would result in big borther style control.

I think football has more pressing issues to deal with than blue chants.

Why do you say we have freedom of speech in thsi country?,
    where does it say that?
    our constitution only offers freedom of expression,
    go somewhere else with your lies.

• Advertisement

ok.............

Yes I am aware that under the constitution we have free expression, this in turn means that not only do we have freedom of speech, but the freedom to communicate our views and opinions is not limited to aural means.

However, this does not mean we don't have freedom of speech. It means we have free speech and then some.

There are plenty of better places to troll on boards, move on son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Getting back to it though. There was a Drogs player who's wife died of cancer, and some set of fans (either Bohs or Rovers) were singing songs about that. That was wrong.

IMO, direct pisstaking, slagging and abuse is ok, but not when it involves the players' wife/kids/family.

Simon Webb is still well liked by everyone in Dalymount, certainly wasnt Bohs fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't recall seeing Bush killing anyone

I saw him riding into Bagdad, straddling the barrel of a tank , lobbing grenades into the crowd. :D

Dead/sick/dieing/illegitmate family members/friends/supporters aside, chanting is fair game imo.

Nothign better than a bit of back and forth chanting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

But that was nothing compared to the other song they sang that day about Michael Shields.

whilst not on the same level, my mate (who was at the last pool/manu game, pool fan) told me that they sang:

he's blind, in jail
    He's never up for bail,
    Kyle Dillon, Kyle Dillon

event wrote: »
    whilst not on the same level, my mate (who was at the last pool/manu game, pool fan) told me that they sang:

he's blind, in jail
    He's never up for bail,
    Kyle Dillon, Kyle Dillon

Wonder of they're the same fans who get tetchy when songs are sung about Michael Shields.
    The gerrard chant was "The baby's not yours, the baby's not yours. Oh, Steven Gerrard the baby's not yours". But that was nothing compared to the other song they sang that day about Michael Shields.

In fairness Michael Shields isnt mother theresa lets be objective. He's in jail for slamming a brick on a guys head. He was ID'd by the guy who got hit with the brick. Im not saying its tasteful to sing songs about these idiots but at the same time it wouldnt exactly elicit the saem outrage as the racist songs or songs about Gerrards child being someone elses or the sh*t that beckham had sang at him after WC 98.

As for the Celtic fans boo'ing the minutes silence - frankly Id be embarrassed about that if I were a Celtic fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

"Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

As for the Celtic fans boo'ing GSTQ - frankly Id be embarrassed about that if I were a Celtic fan. I remember GSTQ at croker for the rugby, it made me so proud when we respected it and then sang the best Amhrann na bhFiann Ive ever witnessed.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mistake, i only woke up from an evening nap, got confussed!!

Agreed. Anyway wasn't that the match where the Irish fans basically sang GSTQ?

''We moved on. like we're so wealthy now like, we don't care about our heritage, our ancestors, our history, it doesn't matter as long as we have our short term economic boom thats all the matters''

Ok, so that is great if you find 'respecting' GSTQ great, but what is wrong about booing it? Actually for EVERY Irish person it makes sense to boo the damn thing.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Anyway wasn't that the match where the Irish fans basically sang GSTQ?

''We moved on. like we're so wealthy now like, we don't care about our heritage, our ancestors, our history, it doesn't matter as long as we have our short term economic boom thats all the matters''

Ok, so that is great if you find 'respecting' GSTQ great, but what is wrong about booing it? Actually for EVERY Irish person it makes sense to boo the damn thing.
    No.

Nobody sang GSTQ. We sang Amhrann na bhFiann. If the people there didnt care they wouldnt have sang OUR anthem now would they. Boo it? yea great, make us look like a bunch of bitter cnts to everyone else.....great stuff. Nobody forgot about the history of the day. Were you outside in your celtic jersey with your sign by any chance?

No.

''O Lord, our God, arise,
    Scatter her enemies,
    And make them fall.

Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On Thee our hopes we fix,
    God save us all. ''

:rolleyes:

I think I'll boo this as much as I want.

''If the people there didnt care they wouldnt have sang OUR anthem now would they?''

Fair point.

And I don't own a Celtic Jersey, but I do respect them as a club. Actually other than Barcelona, their history is of most interest to me.

''O Lord, our God, arise,
    Scatter her enemies,
    And make them fall.

Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On Thee our hopes we fix,
    God save us all. ''

:rolleyes:

I think I'll boo this as much as I want.

''If the people there didnt care they wouldnt have sang OUR anthem now would they?''

Fair point.

And I don't own a Celtic Jersey, but I do respect them as a club. Actually other than Barcelona, their history is of most interest to me.
    I just think it'd have been embarrassing bearing in mind how much of a big deal was made of it by the press leading up to it.

I was jokin bout that idiot who got photographed with the "No To Foreign Games" banner while wearing his Celtic jersey.

I think your right. In a way it makes us look smart and intelligent people as a collective. What was booing their anthem going to do?

You sort of won the whole discussion when you said the fans belted out Amhran na Bhfiann.

(Yeah that picture is class...LOL)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Hmmm.

A tough one.

We were playing Sporting Fingal in the LC recently and they have a player who always gets the following chanted at him.

(re-e-wind
    when the crowd say "bo"
    select-a)

"play-ers name
    when a girl says "no"
    Molest her"

That's pretty funny imo.

Also, some pretty choice stuff about George O'Callaghan too, which is also funny, because it does seem to wind him up.

And, I know this is true, another Cork City player, who had a spell with Shels, and I spent the whole of last seasons Cup game spewing vitriol at from the sideline. He's a winger, and his game was definitely affected, he kept drifting infield away from me. Even the City bench were laughing. Anyway, I met the same lad at the post-Cup Final FAI function then the City function in their hotel later that night, and I reminded him of the day. He remembered alright, asking "What did I do to that guy? Murder his family or something?". When I told him it was me he laughed and shook my hand, so that was fine.

Oh, and on the last day of last season, Pat Dolan was on the bench for Wexford Youths, and I was shouting abuse at him, he turned to me and gave the "wanker" gesture. That was pretty funny too.

That chant was originally sang as van-per-sie when he was arrested for rape last summer

The only thing I would call off limits is things like the Simon Webb one

Was that Liam Kearney by any chance? He just seems to be the easiest player in the league to wind up, I was at a match in the RSC in Waterford a few years ago when Kearney was in great form coming up to it, think he was in the u21 squad at the time, a big fella in the front roared at him literally for the whole 90 mins (yes he did switch sides) and he had a terrible game

There is nothing wrong with chants like this
    Frank Lampard Lampard, he can't touch Steve Gerrard, he's small and a f*ckin tard, who's Frank Lampard.

Also, footballers such as Ashley Cole should be abused at every opportunity for obvious reasons (like the infamous quote from his book)

And
    Have you ever seen Sol Campbell with a woman?

That chant was originally sang as van-per-sie when he was arrested for rape last summer
    Not last summer surely, that chant was being used for the LoI player when Shels were still in the Premier.

Yeah, I knew it was stolen from the VP thing.
    Was that Liam Kearney by any chance? He just seems to be the easiest player in the league to wind up, I was at a match in the RSC in Waterford a few years ago when Kearney was in great form coming up to it, think he was in the u21 squad at the time, a big fella in the front roared at him literally for the whole 90 mins (yes he did switch sides) and he had a terrible game
    Indeed it was. :)

And here we are on the night in question. He wouldn't kiss my damn Shels crest :D

• Advertisement

maybe it was 2 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What about the Kanu one?

"He's big, he's black
    He's had a heart attack"

Now on first view it would be deemed both racist and a poor jibe at the man's health, yet it's sung to him by his own fans!

On that note, isn't there a song Utd fans sing about Park which mentions that he eats dogs?

Doesn't really matter if it's coming from your own fans, I'm sure the players in question find it offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Exit wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter if it's coming from your own fans, I'm sure the players in question find it offensive.

How do you know? Maybe they arent hyper-sensitive members of the Pc brigade and just see it for what it is, a show of support and the fans having a laugh.

Elizabeth died.Did she?

Exit wrote: »
    On that note, isn't there a song Utd fans sing about Park which mentions that he eats dogs?

Park, Park, wherever you may be,
    You eat dogs in your home country!
    It could be worse, you could be Scouse,
    Eating rats in your council house!

:D

• Advertisement

Gary Neville where's your badge, where's your badge

Advertisement