Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on crossbows and vermin

Options
  • 11-04-2008 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

This question comes about from a conversation in a shop last week. It wasn't a gun shop but the fella was selling bows, cammo gear etc. I was looking for a cammo net and also was doing the rounds putting up leaflets for a new business. Another guy comes in looking for a crossbow, shop doesn't sell them. Fella wanted it for shooting vermin. Shop owner reckoned that the local Garda station were giving out such permits, I said I thought someone was seriously pulling his leg about that but he was pretty insistant. Since I'd yet to ask him to put up the leaflets I didn't persue it. Anyway I'm 99% sure I'm correct, but have been known to be wrong... (Alright I haven't I'm just being modest :p)

Anyway, does such a permit exist?

I don't think so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You met Ivan?! :eek:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Lol, possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭damo03

Couldnt find it but i thought one of the lads said in another thread you cant hunt any animal in this country with a bow or crossbow. I have a bowtech compound bow myself the only things i shoot with it are bales of straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Who is Ivan may I ask??:confused:
    AFIK ,you cant hunt anything here with them anymore.I used to have one when they were off ticket back in the oul days of the 80s and managed once to shoot one rabbit.Only took a bundle of bolts as well.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Yup, that's what I think myself too. Like I say I was very sure of it, just doesn't pay to split hairs with someone you need a favour of lol.

Thought I would ask more to confirm my own belief than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Thats a new one on me john, i hope its not true if so its a kick in the b*lls to all of us on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Crossbows do need a licence, same as airguns and cartridge firearms. You can't hunt with them. You could shoot vermin with them but (a) it's be like hammering a nail with a screwdriver for a shelf in a fully stocked toolshed, and (b) you could be done for cruelty to animals when someone notices you nailing rats to the floor with quarrels.

As I said, that's what I thought ;) Have to visit that shop again soonish, I'll try to work it into the conversation lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

johngalway wrote: »
    As I said, that's what I thought ;) Have to visit that shop again soonish, I'll try to work it into the conversation lol.

Keep us updated about this one john, i hope its just someone telling tales....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

• Advertisement

Keep us updated about this one john, i hope its just someone telling tales....

It's nonsense is all, nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Always found it weird that Compound Bows and other Bows do not
    require a License yet a Cross Bow Does. More Irish Law madness!!

I got a Compound bow a Safari II and know peeps that make their own arrows etc and do field archery. They all confirm that No hunting is allowed either
    with bow or crossbow.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

bullets wrote: »
    Always found it weird that Compound Bows and other Bows do not
    require a License yet a Cross Bow Does. More Irish Law madness!!

I got a Compound bow a Safari II and know peeps that make their own arrows etc and do field archery. They all confirm that No hunting is allowed either
    with bow or crossbow.

~B

If I remember correctly, the crossbow went on licence after some idiots started misusing them. I'm vague on the details now, but I think it was some time in the eighties.

They're now on the restricted list :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

John, have a look at this. NoNameRanger posted it in another thread and it clearly says shotguns, rifles, traps and poison. No mention of crossbows or longbows.

http://www.npws.ie/en/WildlifePlanningtheLaw/BirdsDirectivederogations/

rrpc wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, the crossbow went on licence after some idiots started misusing them. I'm vague on the details now, but I think it was some time in the eighties.

They're now on the restricted list :eek:

Yup, 1990 a Garda got shot with a homemade bolt from a piostol Xbow.That in itself is an amazing feat.Considering they are no better than toys.
    I reckon somone had watched the Wild Geese or Rambo a couple of times too many and was over awed by the destructive power of Xbows and compound bows.Or this was just amedia planted story to justify knocking the sale of martial arts weaponary,Xbowsand other undesireable stuff on the head under the firearms&offensive weapon sact 1992??

Both are time consuming weapons[in this case ajustified expression as they are not anywhere else classified as firearms except here Xbows that is;.] to learn properly.Cost as much as a good 22 rifle .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    weapons[in this case ajustified expression

Not really...

Weapon implies it's going to be used to harm people. Just because it's not a firearm in the strictest sense, doesn't mean it's alright to call it a weapon either.

So enlighten me what do you call a non explosive based propellant.....????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    So enlighten me what do you call a non explosive based propellant.....????

A catapult, a trebuchet, a bow, a crossbow, a sling, a spear thrower, a blowgun, an airgun, a boomerang, an arm, a head, a foot...... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Sparks wrote: »
    Crossbows do need a license, same as airguns and cartridge firearms. You can't hunt with them. You could shoot vermin with them but (a) it's be like hammering a nail with a screwdriver for a shelf in a fully stocked toolshed, and (b) you could be done for cruelty to animals when someone notices you nailing rats to the floor with quarrels.
    :mad:

What a load of cr*p.....
    Xbow are more powerful than you think. They are powerful enough to kill big game and with good shot placement (range max 40m) they will drop deer quite quickly.
    A one inch broadhead would cut a rat in half.:D

The wildlife act is weak in terms of protection to unprotected animals in Ireland in terms of crossbow hunting,
    The act makes no reference to crossbow hunting being either allowed or not, but if it is allowed it fails to make it known that a broadhead arrow is only suitable for hunting of animals.
    In the USA a broadhead is legally required to be one inch wide, this i hope, you will some day find, is quite good at stopping most creatures weather they be human or otherwise.
    Anyway i would only ever hunt within the meaning of the wildlife act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

In the USA a broadhead is legally required to be one inch wide, this i hope you will some day find, is quite good at stopping most creatures weather they be <snip silliness>
    :eek: WTF?
    Ivan, will you ever have a think about what you're writing before you actually post it?

• Advertisement

They are powerful enough to kill big game and with good shot placement (range max 40m) they will drop deer quite quickly.
    Doesn't matter. You cannot legally hunt game with them in Ireland. End of story.

Doesn't matter. You cannot legally hunt game with them in Ireland. End of story.
    Well you mean it doesnt matter to you.
    I can still hunt rabbits and foxes but to mention a few...

Well you mean it doesnt matter to you..
    No, I mean your opinion on hunting game with crossbows doesn't matter in this jurisdiction, because it's illegal here.

Can someone close or delete this thread please. It was never ment to cause any trouble.

No, I mean your opinion on hunting game with crossbows doesn't matter in this jurisdiction, because it's illegal here.

keep your knickers on:D
    Would you care to enlighten me with the relevant legislation Sparks:pac::pac::pac:

It was already explained to you in full detail on another thread Ivan. I think johngalway's right and this thread should be closed.

It was already explained to you in full detail on another thread Ivan. I think johngalway's right and this thread should be closed.

good enough so....... another notch on the belt for me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

good enough so....... another notch on the belt for me:D

And still the madness goes on!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Empty vessels make most noise

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement