Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT drop on pre-2008 imports after July if CoC available?

Options
  • 11-04-2008 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

OK, I've just bought a 2005 A4 in UK and due to collect it next week (because I was rearended by an uninsured foreign national and my car written off, another story).

If my sister (who lives in UK) registers the car in the UK (she has no car at present), with myself as the insured driver and I then transfer ownership (buy it from her) to myself and register in Ireland in July, AND have a Certificate of Conformity (CoC0 showing the emissions at 149 g/km (under the 150 band)), is there a VRT advantage for me? This would be all legal as far as I understand.

I was originally under the impression there was and vrt would drop from 25% to 20% , saving about e1500 but now I'm not sure since I've read it applies to 2008 cars only but where I'm unclear is whether the CoC would be applicable. I bought the car based on this saving so otherwise my budget is blown.

Also I've noticed CO2 emission are on the Service Book for the car, referencing the VIN. Would this do instead of the CoC, since both come from the same place, the manufacturer?
    I only have until Monday morning to decide about the registration so help appreciated.
    Regards
    Donal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

DonalB wrote: »
    OK, I've just bought a 2005 A4 in UK and due to collect it next week (because I was rearended by an uninsured foreign national and my car written off, another story).

If my sister (who lives in UK) registers the car in the UK (she has no car at present), with myself as the insured driver and I then transfer ownership (buy it from her) to myself and register in Ireland in July, AND have a Certificate of Conformity (CoC0 showing the emissions at 149 g/km (under the 150 band)), is there a VRT advantage for me? This would be all legal as far as I understand.

I was originally under the impression there was and vrt would drop from 25% to 20% , saving about e1500 but now I'm not sure since I've read it applies to 2008 cars only but where I'm unclear is whether the CoC would be applicable. I bought the car based on this saving so otherwise my budget is blown.

Also I've noticed CO2 emission are on the Service Book for the car, referencing the VIN. Would this do instead of the CoC, since both come from the same place, the manufacturer?
    I only have until Monday morning to decide about the registration so help appreciated.
    Regards
    Donal

Only cars going onto an 08 plate are on the new tax, all others are on the old CC based system.

Why add another owner to the car? Only way you could save money would be for your sister to move to Ireland and avail of the VRT exemption, which she can't do till she has owned the car for 6 months and lived outside Ireland for 12 months, then she can't sell the car on for 12 months after the exeption is granted. Legally you can't drive a forgien reg car if you are resident in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I thought that the new emmissions road tax was just for 2008 cars and older cars would be VRT'd under the new emmissions system and taxed under the old cc system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

farva wrote: »
    I thought that the new emissions road tax was just for 2008 cars and older cars would be VRT'd under the new emissions system and taxed under the old cc system?
    You thought right:).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

STiCKY AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

because I was rearended by an uninsured foreign national and my car written off, another story
    Ouch...

Did you get compensation from that insurance body? Did the other driver stick around or skip it back to where ever? Which is where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

First, I did try to read the sticky, I had to wish to double post, but I think even here one can see the confusion around this matter. Yes, I'm planning to "buy" the car from my sister. She's here in Ireland for a few months due to family circumstances, so if I was insured on the UK plates (my insurance is already transferred to it) I could legally drive it here. Then in July, after i buy it from her (for a euro, since I would be "buying" it <for> her initially), i could save a grand or so, but only if the new VRT rates apply to pre-2008 cars.

I understand as a pre 2008 the old motor tax will apply, it is the VRT I don't really understand and it means a difference of about e1400 And while some people say that is the case others still seem to disagree.

As for the insurance, I don't know yet. It was a company car i was due to buy THE NEXT DAY, as I've just been made redundant. Cops took the polish guy away, and I haven't been able to find out any more since. Hibernian registered it the MIBI so that should cover me in the long run...I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

First, I did try to read the sticky, I had to wish to double post, but I think even here one can see the confusion around this matter. Yes, I'm planning to "buy" the car from my sister. She's here in Ireland for a few months due to family circumstances, so if I was insured on the UK plates (my insurance is already transferred to it) I could legally drive it here. Then in July, after i buy it from her (for a euro, since I would be "buying" it <for> her initially), i could save a grand or so, but only if the new VRT rates apply to pre-2008 cars.

It's illegal for an Irish resident to drive a forgien reg car, if the revenue catch you driving they can take it off you. If you are driving and get a ticket you could have issues trying to VRT it in July. You have to pay the VRT within 1 day of landing the car. Even if your sister is the reg'd owner in the UK and you are insured to drive it's still can't drive it (legally), it's only revenue you have to worry about so it's up to you to take the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Del2005 wrote: »
    Only cars going onto an 08 plate are on the new tax, all others are on the old CC based system.

Why add another owner to the car? Only way you could save money would be for your sister to move to Ireland and avail of the VRT exemption, which she can't do till she has owned the car for 6 months and lived outside Ireland for 12 months, then she can't sell the car on for 12 months after the exeption is granted. Legally you can't drive a forgien reg car if you are resident in Ireland.

The information is well explained here :)

http://www.simi.ie/Files/simi_roadtaxvrt.pdf

Donal, watch out for these. They've turned up on this thread already...

119101EKMJ_w.jpg

It's illegal for an Irish resident to drive a forgien reg car
    Proof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

fwiw, I got a letter from Mr Gormley today and it states, quite clearly, that pre-08 (first reg, from new) cars, will be taxed on the cc basis, forever.

New VRTrates coming in on July 1 affect ALL cars.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

It's illegal for an Irish resident to drive a forgien reg car, if the revenue catch you driving they can take it off you. If you are driving and get a ticket you could have issues trying to VRT it in July. You have to pay the VRT within 1 day of landing the car. Even if your sister is the reg'd owner in the UK and you are insured to drive it's still can't drive it (legally), it's only revenue you have to worry about so it's up to you to take the risk.
    I'm a bit sick of people comin on here and trying t scare you into paying the thieving scum the vrt. At least dick turpin wore a mask and used a sword
    Had my car in since last september and had a few cops ask when i got it.
    Standard answer is 3 days ago your gaurdship, was in and tried to clear it but they sent me away as i havent got the log book yet.
    If and i stress IF the customs catch you then they will give you 7 days to clear it and from all the people i know who have been eventually rumbled no one has ever been fined for this. As long as you spin them the yarn that your waiting for the log book and only have it a week you will be grand
    So far i have saved 7 months tax and the vrt has dropped 700 euro. Better in my pocket than theirs. [/rant over]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Invincible

slideways wrote: »
    I'm a bit sick of people comin on here and trying t scare you into paying the thieving scum the vrt. At least dick turpin wore a mask and used a sword
    Had my car in since last september and had a few cops ask when i got it.
    Standard answer is 3 days ago your gaurdship, was in and tried to clear it but they sent me away as i havent got the log book yet.
    If and i stress IF the customs catch you then they will give you 7 days to clear it and from all the people i know who have been eventually rumbled no one has ever been fined for this. As long as you spin them the yarn that your waiting for the log book and only have it a week you will be grand
    So far i have saved 7 months tax and the vrt has dropped 700 euro. Better in my pocket than theirs. [/rant over]

+1, drove for 7 months on a GB plate,no hassle,never stopped.
    After all,we're being charged vrt,even though the government have to pay a fine,because what there doing is'nt legal in the EU !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

JHMEG wrote: »
    Proof?

I'd say this "law" is unique to Ireland and illegal but hey it's Ireland the government have been picking and choosing what parts of EU law we bother with for years.

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/publications/leaflets/infolef7_o.htm
    Private Use
    2. What Conditions Apply
    Any imported vehicle which is owned by or registered in the name of a non-resident person is not required to be registered in Ireland subject to the following conditions:

The vehicle must have been acquired with all the appropriate taxes paid and these must not have been exempted or refunded in any way. The standard registration plates in use in the domestic market of a country are normally accepted as evidence of this.
    The vehicle may not in any circumstances be driven by a State resident.

In this case has the car been "imported"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Certificate of Conformity (CoC0 showing the emissions at 149 g/km (under the 150 band)),

149 g/km would be over the 150 band,

Band A (<=120 grams per km) - €100
    Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - €150
    Band C (141-155 grams per km) - €290
    Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430
    Band E (171-190 grams per km) - €600
    Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000
    Band G (>225 grams per km) - €2,000

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm a bit sick of people comin on here and trying t scare you into paying the thieving scum the vrt.

I'm a bit sick of people coming on here who are evading tax. Import a car, then pay the VRT and tax the car. If you don't the rest of us will have to foot your bill...

I've been legal for long enough...
    Boo hoo, isn't great for ya up in dublin with your smooth roads, i paid road tax for long enough but still have to crawl the last half mile to the house because of a permanent flood the council wont fix and potholes, where is the incentive to tax a car?
    The reason i'm not clearin his car is gormless wants to have his cake and eat it. If you bring a car with a low co2 rating, stuff ya pay the old rate, but if ya bring a feic off fast car and the cc rate of car tax would suit you then he'll tax you on the co2.
    Double standards anyone?
    Oh and unkel im sure you have never avoided/evaded tax..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've been legal for long enough...
    Boo hoo, isn't great for ya up in dublin with your smooth roads, i paid road tax for long enough but still have to crawl the last half mile to the house because of a permanent flood the council wont fix and potholes, where is the incentive to tax a car?
    The reason i'm not clearin his car is gormless wants to have his cake and eat it. If you bring a car with a low co2 rating, stuff ya pay the old rate, but if ya bring a feic off fast car and the cc rate of car tax would suit you then he'll tax you on the co2.
    Double standards anyone?
    Oh and unkel im sure you have never avoided/evaded tax..
    As much as I dislike the man, John Gormley has nothing to do with VRT. He doed not decide the policy, nor does his department implement it.
    Your deliberately evading tax so you now cannot attack the government/local authority over failures to maintain roads (hospitals/schools/etc).
    Your knowledge of Dublin roads is also equally ignorant but I'm not going to bother going into that.
    If you don't like where you live then move but don't start complaining about the services in your area if you won't pay your taxes. You are as hypocritical as U2!

Well i never broke an alloy in a pothole in the 6 months that i lived in tallaght..

There was me thinkin that the road tax was a way of funding the up keep of roads, guess i best put on my 'wrong hat' for the day..
    Im a PAYE employee so if i'm not payin my taxes it's the companys ding dong
    Sorry fot the off topic posting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There was me thinkin that the road tax was a way of funding the up keep of roads, guess i best put on my 'wrong hat' for the day..

This is a very old statement but it still seems to have passed you by. There is no such thing as "Road tax" , it's motor tax, ie a tax to own a motor. The money goes to the whole country not just to a road fund.

Advertisement