Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for next year?

Options
  • 11-04-2008 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Word homies.

I was just wondering what everyones hopes and dreams are for the future. Its another end of another year, my third in UCD and on this forum and Im very close to graduating ( once i dont have a crazy frat party and sleep with the presidents daughter with resulting hilartiy and hijinx or something). I was just wondering what all those people who are graduating or just leaving are planning on doing with the rest of their lives

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Postgrad.

Msc/Phd or and MBS. I've yet to decide, but i'm staying in UCD that much I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Been here 3 years as well. Next year I'll still be at UCD. And the year after that. And the year after that. Still doing my undergrad. People on this forum will eventually begin to refer to me as 'Grandad.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Ah ickle baby....

God degrees are long these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Grimes wrote: »
    I was just wondering what all those people who are graduating or just leaving are planning on doing with the rest of their lives

Anything that involves never setting foot in a university again. Move in with the gf, eat sleep, enjoy life etc. nothing fancy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Erasmus. Even in a year's time I definitely won't be ready to be finished a degree, so I'm putting it off as long as I can. The "real world" can wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Next year I'll be in my final year... Will make it a miserable year by studying all the time from day 1 and try to leave college with a half decent qualification. After that it's straight to Oz/Asia/US for a year at least! Then come home and find some stupid job to keep me busy and pay the rent (hopefully won't have to live with the folks at this stage) while I get myself into a better position to get into the fire service (doing courses, joining organisations, etc). Then hopefully get in and start being an adult..... Big plans.... big plans....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Finishing my MA in September... looks like it's the end of the line for me full-time-education-wise. I'll probably have to get some kind of McJob and move out of my parent's house... Find some new wall to smoke at.

*cries*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Fingers crossed for an Masters here. Getting on that road to a PHD some day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

like every other Arts graduate i'm hitting the dole queue! (lol, hopefully not er, ehem er....)

i'm just not making concrete plans at this stage, whatever will be will be, enjoy life more, try new things etc. etc.

if i do have a 'plan' i may work for most of the next year (if there is any decent jobs left in this country by then :confused:) and then based on that experience decide to carry on working or do an MA in something in 2009. if things dont go that way i might aswell take the opportunity to piss off travelling or move out of Ireland for good. Britain, Germany and Canada are very appealing destinations to me

all thats definite is i wont be in education or UCD next year, my head cannot take any more lectures, essays, exams and the usual final year sh!t. if you see me still out here studying next year you have permission to shoot me, 4 years in this place is just far too long! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

if you see me still out here studying next year you have permission to shoot me, 4 years in this place is just far too long! :)

And yet not nearly long enough.
    *sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

4 years in this place is just far too long! :)
    Well for some :rolleyes:

I've just realised I'm going to graduate at the same time as many people who haven't even sat the Leaving Cert. yet. :eek:

Off to Canada for the year for a foreign exchange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hope you get it, would be fucking weird not having you around. Bad enough that pretty*monster is moving onto greener pastures.

I'll be in 3rd year. I forsee this being similar to second year, albeit with (hopefully) better attendance on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

hehe not much plans you can make for an undergraute student :Dgot an excellent job in the summer hope that turn out well!
    while everytime i look at those 8 core modules i willl have in 3th yr,my feelling is complicated,they look so cool,in fact they looked too cool for a kid like me to handle!exciting but abit scary!that's the ride i m really lookin forward!:D

*god Grimes is same year as us?!!i always think you are older,no i mean wiser than us!*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

seraphimvc wrote: »
    god Grimes is same year as us?!!i always think you are older,no i mean wiser than us!*

Aw cheers. Im older alright, after dropping out of law after 2 years and dropping out of being a restaurant manager after 2 years Im determined not to drop out anymore :) I like to think I have brought a bit of the university of loife to here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Grimes wrote: »
    Aw cheers. Im older alright, after dropping out of law after 2 years and dropping out of being a restaurant manager after 2 years Im determined not to drop out anymore :) I like to think I have brought a bit of the university of loife to here :D
    ahha ,that explains alot...i am now not merely admire your wisdom ,you won my respcect of being a Master of Drop Out too...MDO eh?wikipedia is genius

/salute/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

Moving to London! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

masters in politics i hope, still not ready to face the real world yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Dunno.
    Maybe move to London, get a season ticket for Crystal Palace, then save up for an eventual MA in Journalism perhaps... Alternatively get a job in Services and continue to essentially hunker down in UCD for the rest of my days...

The first option is less depressing. Unfortunately it is also much less likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

PhD in good 'ol UCD...wonder how I'll feel about the place after another 4 years here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

ghostchant wrote: »
    PhD in good 'ol UCD...wonder how I'll feel about the place after another 4 years here...
    Don't do it, for the love of God! You have so much to live for!:eek:

Sorry about that, it's just after 5 years around this place ya get a little... institutionalised, if that's the correct word...

Bloody hell, I definitely couldn't stomach going straight into a PhD anyway, I'd go insane. As in literally 100% batsh*t loco.

Good luck tho:D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I've applied for a Masters in Management Science. However, this got renamed while my application was in the post, so I'll hopefully be studying a MSc. in Business Analytics.

Unless I got confused by the names, and there are in fact two highly similar degrees with different names... and the same links on the website. So probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm trying not to think about what on earth I'm going to do in September.
    I at least have my massively useful masters in art history. I kid.
    I'm not sure whether to start looking for work in gallerys etc or whether to do teaching like I had planned or to try and go on with art history although I'm fairly sure I'm nowhere near smart enough / have the stamina to a Phd.
    Sigh. Made worse by the fact that I'm still the only one finished college of my friends. Stupid short arts degree.

Advertisement