Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap tyres...

Options
  • 11-04-2008 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

hey all.

im just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere I could get relatively cheap tyres in cork or anywhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

i go to Rathcormac Tyre Centre very good and reasonable.:D
    Mondaniel Rathcormac Co Cork Co. Cork(025)36301

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

There is a decent place at the back of the Myler building in Ballincollig, near the White Horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Ballincollig Tyres last Saturday, on the link road, I got 4 X 165's Goodyears for E60 each. Better than the E50 one's I got 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dineel

Andersons in Rosscarbery near Clon

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

kcb wrote: »
    There is a decent place at the back of the Myler building in Ballincollig, near the White Horse.

Thats R&R Tyres 021 4873897

Andersons are good too. I buy mine from uk and get a place to fit them. Normally charged 20 to fit. Works out cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

I'd have to say Andersons at Rowry bridge between Rosscarbery and Glandore. The lowest prices I've come across anywhere!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

*Derek* wrote: »
    I buy mine from uk and get a place to fit them. Normally charged 20 to fit. Works out cheaper.

Is that 20 per tyre or for 4?

It takes between 5 and 10 mins per tyre with no input costs so looks expensive. Even if you've sourced great value in the tyres from the UK I'd shop around for this service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 garimac

dineel wrote: »
    Andersons in Rosscarbery near Clon

Thumbs up for Andersons, and they never seem to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

jimmysull wrote: »
    Is that 20 per tyre or for 4?

It takes between 5 and 10 mins per tyre with no input costs so looks expensive. Even if you've sourced great value in the tyres from the UK I'd shop around for this service!

yeah lad 20 for all 4. I have used them in while thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

garimac wrote: »
    Thumbs up for Andersons, and they never seem to close.

I'll agree with you there, everyone in West Cork knows Andersons. You could go in at 10 o clock on a Friday night and they'd still be working away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

hoping that i dont need to go starting a new thread and somone help me out, living here in the midlands westmeath, Mullingar Athlone and Longford is my local town city, looking to get the best price on 2 sets of tyres = 8 in total for my car & girlfriends car, pireli brand / better.

if i knew a place up north i would drive upo and do some xmas shopping.. eniskillin is only an hour from me, same with Dublin I dont mind going to either place..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

This is the Cork County thread mate you'll have to ask in the ...... Well threads that don't deal with the mighty Rebel county :)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Seeing as this thread has awoken ...

I have found O'Sullivan Tyres in mallow good!
    http://www.goldenpages.ie/detailsSearch.ds?detailsListingId=IE_12327929_9999_1001

The wife got 2 tyres for her Yaris during the week, 100 euros all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mcloran

www.eiretyres.com

that is the cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

giles drake in bandon are very professional, always clean job. Shamrock are terrible, will scratch the crap out of everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 donieD

Guy across from Hosfords Garden Centre on main Clon-Bandon road is very reasonable €100 for 2 van tyres. shamrock best was €150 For same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rmcc

by far the best value in East Cork their number is 086 8310235

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

rmcc wrote: »
    by far the best value in East Cork their number is 086 8310235

Where are they located in Midleton?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rmcc

They're about 2 miles from town. If you drive out the Mill road and take the road to Castle lyons (signposted). They are on the right hand side after about a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Express Tyres Portgate (next to Lumpyland) on the left Hand side as you enter Shanbally on the Ringaskiddy Road are Good value and offer a prompt service.

I used to Go To Kevin Collins in Carrigaline but he has been bumping his prices up lately(two increases in the last six months), presumably to pay for his new premises on the Crosshaven Road. The service has also been slipping a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kaso_Da_Zmok

So i have got Falken tyres from UK.

A summary of the items you ordered is given below.

4 of 2254018WFALKR92XL:ZE912[4] FALKEN TYRES / CAR / FALKEN ZE912 ZIEX FALKEN ZE 912 - 225/40R18 92W XL TL Total Price £252.00

4 of 2154517WFALKR91XL:ZE912[4] FALKEN TYRES / CAR / FALKEN ZE912 ZIEX FALKEN ZE 912 - 215/45R17 91W XL TL Total Price £231.20

Carriage .............................. £47.60
    Order Total .......................... £530.80

So i thought :rolleyes: i visit the nearest shop and they will fit it for me.

Drove to the Tyre Shop in Ballincollig near the Flynn Cross (behind White Horse) I think it is the

Murphy Jerry R & R Tyre Services
    Myler Ind Complex Ballincollig Co. Cork

and was told they will not fit tyres not bought there :eek:. OK i was surprised, no other explanation, only that this is their policy. I thought, what a bunch of losers.:confused:

So i rang first Tyre shop i found on Golden Pages,

Ballincollig Tyre Centre Ltd:mad:
    Westpoint Trade Centre Link rd Ballincollig Co. Cork
    • Tel: (021)4860777
    And they said that they have no issues to fit it for me. So i drove there and paid €80 for the job which i consider a rip off :mad:. I think €20 per tyre is 4x times what i would expect.

I also needed to change the tyres on my second car and this shop closed at 6pm so i went to Cork city to:

Dessie's Tyres :mad: Maxol Filling Station Blackpool Co. Cork

Knowing they are opened till 10pm, and the dumb a-holes told me that they will not fit the tyres for me because they don't have insurance to do it :confused:. And were telling me that if they do it and i crash, it will be their fault. I told them it sounds BS and that they just lost customer.

What the hell do the dumb shop owners think? that i want to buy tyres i don't want at price i don't like ?

I paid €618 for the 4 x 18 inch Falken + 4 x 17 inch Falken + delivery

And i am sure these guyz would like to charge me at least 100-130 per tyre and selling me some ****e like SUNNY or KENDA or BCM or FEDERAL other crap that is life threatening and that normal people like on their crappy Toyotas because they are cheap and will kill you on first occasion.

In normal civilized parts of Europe and also in less civilized region it is considered normal to bring your own tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kaso_Da_Zmok

Ballincollig Tyre Centre Ltd
    Westpoint Trade Centre Link rd Ballincollig Co. Cork
    • Tel: (021)4860777
    I was left with no other choice than to go to this shop again and left 100 Euro there. 4x 20 for fitting and balancing the tyres i bought from camskill and 20 for tracking.

They were telling me that they are giving the same price as eiretyres.com where the exact same Falken tyres are 95 euro. so theoretically the same 215/45/ZR17 would cost me 4x95+20=400 euro.
    Including the 225/40/ZR18 from yesterday FALKEN ZIEX ZE-912 "only" €137,40
    ONLY >???

Big Summary:
    4x 215/45/ZR17 + 4x 225/40/ZR18 + delivery to Cork from camskill = 618.50 Euro
    Fitting and tracking for each car was 100 euro that makes this to 818.50 Euro in total

theoretical scenario if i would go strait to the shop and buy from them:
    4x 215/45/ZR17 + 4x 225/40/ZR18 (4x95 + 4x137 + 2x 20 for tracking) = 968 Euro.

That means i saved 149.50 Euro on both cars together. And that is after being charged the 20 euro per tyre in the dumb shop.

I am considering legal action against the shop owners because selling overpriced tyres actually forces people to buy cheap and dangerous tyres and this might be a factor increasing mortality on the roads so people are paying with their health for the well being of the tyre shop owners.

Was this worth this experience? Yes, it was, at least i was doing something.

Delivery from camskill took 2 days and i loaded the tyres directly to the back of each car in front of house and the only problem was to find a shop that is at least a bit normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Andersons back Whest. Fixed my puncture on a Sunday, hardworking boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

heard that some guy in Carrigaline will fit tyres bought off the web - don't know the name though.......

have heard about this new thing where if your tyres haven't got the Euro symbol on them, they'll fail the NCT..................???

Advertisement