Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT BB and 3rd party modem/router

Options
  • 11-04-2008 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭

Hi there...

I have searched the forum to see has this been asked before but I coudln't find the answer... We have BT BB. I recently bought a laptop and want to go both wired and wireless. So I bought a 2wire 2700 HG modem/router. I have hooked it up and everything seems ok but cannot get to internet. I am prompted for a username and password. I've asked BT for this but they tell me they do not support 3rd party HW. I am not asking them to support it.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?, what happened in the end?...

Tks, L91.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the username you need can be found if you use the bt modem they gave you

u/n admin
    p/w 1234 - are the defaults,

search for a username that ends in @btbb it's usually the bill payers name eg. joebloggs@btbb. the password will be blanked out but it should be the bill payers name without the @ btbb, eg. joebloggs.

with this info re-setup your new modem/router box and give this information in remember bt broadband is a PPPoE connection if it asks which i'm sure it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Do as cremo says, then the important settings are :
    Mode: Routing
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplex: LLC
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Beyond this, the username is your own picked name (often your surname) and a password that you also picked when ordering broadband. If you can't remember the password, you can reset it online if you have an account registered on btireland.ie. That's the easiest and quickest way to do it.

If the broadband password is stored in the browser (probably will be, since you have to have set it up) then you can recover it easily enough. If using Firefox then go to Tools -> Options -> Security -> Show passwords to see passwords, it'll be stored under the website 192.168.1.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Many many thanks guys... I owe ya.

OK I have managed to find out what our BTBB username and password are. I have also got 'into' the 2wire modem/router where I can make changes. I have selected the options you have mentioned above but can still not access the net. The DSL connection is perfect.

Any other ideas?... In terms of 'mulitplex' I selected 'routing LLC' and not bridged is this correct?.

It must be something simple now that I have wrong?.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

im not 100% sure that routing LLC is the correct one but bridged is not.

bridge basically means that you want the modem to act as a modem only and connect it to a separate router and let that router do all the routing.

since you've a router/modem combination that isn't for you.

Advertisement