Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Employer's Letter - Avoid 6 months wait?

Options
  • 11-04-2008 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Does anybody know whether a letter from your employer would be able to bypass the 6 month wait on the learners permit??

Im guessing it wont but it used to work to jump up the queues back in the good old days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

Hi there,

I think the letter does bypass the waiting time....unfortunately I didn't think it would so I never bothered asking....

I applied for my test at the end of October last year, called RSA two weeks ago and they told me they were processing applications received during last week in October. Fair enough, I was told I would get a letter in the next two weeks....
    I didn't get anything..

Called them again two days ago, after 15 minutes waiting time I get an answer, that my application is going to be dealt with in the next batch, sometime during the next couple of weeks....I forgot to ask about the letter from the employer...so I dial the number again... another 15 minutes waiting on the phone, I get a nice lady, ask her about the letter, say will it make a difference, I get the answer No, it won't....next batch in about 4 weeks....I insist again...she says hold on, I have to get your file, she turns up with a date for Monday week....cannot believe it...by the time I make up my mind, the appointment is gone....(matter of minutes)...so she offers me Saturday the 3rd of May....and I take it...no mention of the letter from the employer, all done on the phone....

So that's my story...I do think a letter from the employer is gonna get you an appointment before the 6 months waiting time.

BTW, I applied for Limerick. And yes, I received the letter confirming the appointment by post today...So all I need now is to pass the test....

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Magic

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rmurf wrote: »
    Does anybody know whether a letter from your employer would be able to bypass the 6 month wait on the learners permit?
    No.

A letter from an employer may speed up waiting times for those with Provisional Licences but those with a Learner Permit are legally required to have had the Learner Permit for at least 6 months on the day of the test.

magicEye wrote: »
    I think the letter does bypass the waiting time....unfortunately I didn't think it would so I never bothered asking
    Read the OP's question again Magic! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

You're right, Wishbone....My mistake. Guess I was so thrilled with my appointment, I forgot to read the question....

Cheers,
    Magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 delicious

Yes, I no my bro used a letter. Cnt remember how quickly he got his test but diff worked 4em.. just got his employer to write a letter saying he needed the car/van for work I think...

That wasnt that long ago(couple of minths maybe) so, yeh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Worked for me about 10 years ago.
    Employer wrote a letter saying id be fired if i didnt get a driving license within 1 month and a week later i was called for my test.

This was after 3 months waiting when the ususal witing time was 11 months

delicious wrote: »
    Yes, I no my bro used a letter. Cnt remember how quickly he got his test but diff worked 4em.. just got his employer to write a letter saying he needed the car/van for work I think...

That wasnt that long ago(couple of minths maybe) so, yeh!
    Worked for me about 10 years ago.
    Employer wrote a letter saying id be fired if i didnt get a driving license within 1 month and a week later i was called for my test.

This was after 3 months waiting when the ususal witing time was 11 months
    The OP is not asking if a letter from an employer speeds up the waiting time.

He/she is asking if a letter from an employer, for those on a 1st Learner Permit, can avoid the statutory requirement to have held the Learner Permit for 6 months on the day of the test.

The answer is 'NO'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

So what happens if you applied for a test on your leraner permit and they give you a test within 6 months?

Also what happens if you pass your test after June 30th?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rmurf

i got called by sgs before my 6 months and i just gave them a ring and they checked it all out and said that they wud put my account on hold and to give them another ring when its coming up to the 6 months

The onus is on the applicant to inform them that they cannot do a test before a specific date - "Any other relevant information" section! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

As in what are the new rules with regards to passing test, Ive heard that you need to be acompanied by some one still for 2 years and that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So under new laws that came in December 2007 you must have a learners permit for a min of 6 months before you can sit a test, my question is is there anyway around this.

Will a letter from work or something allow a learner permit holder to do the test sooner?

Cabaal wrote: »
    So under new laws that came in December 2007 you must have a learners permit for a min of 6 months before you can sit a test, my question is is there anyway around this.

Will a letter from work or something allow a learner permit holder to do the test sooner?
    No - it's a statutory requirement.

(That question comes up regularly - please use search function ;)).

Threads merged.

Advertisement