Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to sell my unfixed car

Options
  • 11-04-2008 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

My 00 silver peugot 206 car has a few things wrong with it that i havnt gotten fixed over the years
    it needs a new throttle sensor,
    new mirror,
    new wishbones for the front,
    and new locks for the central locking,
    for the nct,

besides that everything is perfect
    is there anywhere i could sell it the way it is and if so how much would i get for it? eg a dealership for example? im hoping to get 2000 the way it is, is that too much do you think?
    im told it will cost about 1000 to fix everything and i could sell it for about 4,000

the outside of the car looks perfect still shiny looks new

i cant afford to get it fixed up as i have loans to pay as i just bought another car and getting out another loan would really screw me over,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

List it as 'Sold as Seen', 'Weekend Mechanic's Dream', etc... in any motor classified website or print. So if it's worth €4000 and needs €1000 spent on it, list it for €2500 to get it shifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

sell it as needing repairs, name them, ask more that you hope to get, it is always easier to down the price than up it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

All else fails you could try selling it at auction but just be prepared to accept a low price and you then have to pay commission on top of that to the auction house.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Most of that is a DIY jobbie (tracking needed after new wishbones though). Why not fix it yourself and therefore pay less on the repairs and then flog it for more that you would have if it was damaged?
    GSF do Pug parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Mirror (electric RHS): under €50 incl P&P. If you have the top of the old mirror you won't need to get it painted. Link: http://cgi.ebay.ie/PEUGEOT-206-98-PRIMED-ELECTRIC-DOOR-WING-MIRROR-O-S_W0QQitemZ120243104766QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10406QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. Alternatively, you could get DTM, SLR, or M3 type mirrors for the same money on ebay (but if you have electric mirrors, those "styled" ones mightn't work).

Wishbones - Lower Suspension Arm: about €36 + P&P. http://cgi.ebay.ie/PEUGEOT-206-QUALITY-LOWER-SUSPENSION-ARM-WISHBONE-NEW_W0QQitemZ150163098109QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10406QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem. Can't find anything else with wishbone on ebay or GSF. What makes you think it needs replacing?

Central Locking: You could just pull the cables and say there's no central locking, or replace the motors with these: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=12303&criteria=car%20lock&doy=12m4 or http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=12304&criteria=car%20lock&doy=12m4. Wait until you have both the mirrors and the locks, and you'll only have to strip the door once!!! €14-€33.

Or try your local scrapyard; there should be a few '00 206s around at this stage.

Alternatively, tell us where you're based; someone might be able to recommend someone local to you to do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Or if you couldn't be bothered, stick it up on ebay.ie - you'll be able to show it off in all it's glory and the buyer should have a very good idea what they are getting themselves into!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

thanks for all the replies ,
    but the thing is i owe a lot of money from buying my new car and i dont think i cud afford fixing it up,i would do it in a second if i could afford it,
    the outside is perfect u cudnt tell theres anything wrong with it at all till you drive it,
    i have had it cheaked out so i know there isnt much to be done to it besides what i have mentioned,

there is 80,000 miles by the way
    but would a dealership take it in? cause they hve mechanics that can fix it up themselfs saving money i cud sell it for 2,000 they cud fix it up sell it for 4/5 thousand?

well thats what im hoping,
    is it really worth my while putting it up for sale on the internet the way it is? also if i do how much do you think its worth? id be happy with two, could i sell it for more?
    has no nct either by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

would you not put a small reserve on it and run it through an auction?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fey's post was excellent and very informative.

Fixing it will not be expensive.

A couple of hundred € now will yield dividends in the selling prive.

• Advertisement

Fey's post was excellent and very informative.

Fixing it will not be expensive.

A couple of hundred € now will yield dividends in the selling prive.

ya it was accually, but i would have to wait till ive paid back all my loans and such before i can afford to fix it up, which could be after the summer,
    would it be worth my while waiting that long? what do ye think?

an auction sounds good, but what does a small reserve mean?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A reserve is the base price at which you will sell.
    A small reserve is a small base price at which you will sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BlueDragon wrote: »
    i could sell it for about 4,000

Sorry to bring bad news, but there's not a hope it will sell for €4k in a private sale even when everything is fixed

If you are unable / unwilling to fix it yourself, either advertise it with a realistic price (about €2k) or put it up for auction. The latter will not bring you much cash though. A '00 206 1.1 will go for roughly between €1k and €2k depending on condition

:(
    so whats my best bet? action maybe?
    how does it work? and where could i auction it? im down in cork
    does it cost money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

did you drive it needing a throttle sensor and all these issues , also the central locking is an electrical error ( common ) , cheapish fix if you get the local evening mechanic to have a quick glance at the inner workings...

S.I.R wrote: »
    did you drive it needing a throttle sensor and all these issues , also the central locking is an electrical error ( common ) , cheapish fix if you get the local evening mechanic to have a quick glance at the inner workings...
    i sure did,
    thats not what im worried about im worried about the price of fixing the two front wishbones

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

did you say you are in cork? do you be up in dublin at all ?

Advertisement