Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Appealing Penalty Points

Options
  • 11-04-2008 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I just got pulled over for speeding. Doing 86kms in a 60 kms zone. Cop was using a handheld speeding device. Not sure which type. I didn't get shown the speed i was doing or get a printout. I probably was doing the speed to be honest. The garda told me and I quote to "appeal it thats all i'm saying. its my job to stop you but people are getting off all the time. Get onto your solicitor". What should I do about this. Do i have any grounds for appeal??

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Talk to a solicitor. As the garda is implying, it will be your word against his. However, if you are found to have been speeding (a simple question from the judge will address this) then your points return to 4 from 2 and the whole process will have costed you more.
    Others will be on here no doubt saying how "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Dont appeal. Just take it like a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Amazing to hear the garda advised you to appeal his own collar!
    Sandwich wrote: »
    Dont appeal. Just take it like a man.
    Are you being serious or ironic?
    What is this "manly" way of taking points anyway? Does it involve biting down on a pillow? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

IrishRover wrote: »
    What is this "manly" way of taking points anyway? Does it involve biting down on a pillow? :p

No, it involves being brave and being "man" enough to take responsibility for your own actions. It also involves being able to take the consequences of breaking the law.

Who knows, it might even involve making the roads a little bit safer if the guy thinks twice about speeding next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 corkkev

It turns out he was actually in a 100km/h zone when he clocked me and i was about 15 metres from this when I was caught. I was accelerating as i was approaching the changeover of the speed limit. My question is why would the garda tell me to appeal when i never said anything to him about it

• Advertisement
Advertisement