Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kit for ERU - did I see a HK MP7??

• 11-04-2008 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭

So today started out with the first use of a Taser, but my question is did they get more than just Tasers? Just watching the 9pm news and they had some dodgy bloke being brought to court in Limerick today. The cameraman had a shot of an ERU member outside, but it looks like the Uzi has been replaced by what looks like a HK MP7 :eek:.
    Have they upgraded? If so, good to see there's a bit of money being spent getting rid of all those antiques.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

Last I heard, they had the MP7's but they hadn't been seen in public yet... looks like they have now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Last I heard, they had the MP7's but they hadn't been seen in public yet... looks like they have now!!!

There was pic of an ERU detective w/ MP7 in the Sunday World before Christmas,providing security at a court appearance.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Its about time! (Like a few other things!)
    The UZI's are 60 years old, they are world war II technology! I'm glad to see the MP7's are finally being used, they are a savage piece of equipment in such a small compact design, big penetrative power and accurate. A thoroughly welcomed move!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Looks like I was right. Big pic in today's Independent. Good to see they're kitting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Yeah hey got them. Not only that but the Gardai were one of the first to get the brand new state of the art weapon.

Now thats a rarity! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

Hey, if anyones got any scans or pics of the ERU with their MP7's, stick em up on here..

http://hkpro.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

what will happen to the uzi's? are they fit for the bin or issued to th ddu's?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

DDU have them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

surely the eru had their own supply! will they kkep them or pass them down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nice weapon..

And about time the UZI was replaced, its even a deeply unpopular weapon in Israel.

The guy in the video isnt testing properly. the vests need to be tight against a body or surface to work properly. He had it loose thereby reducing its ability.

Anyone that reads the instructions with their vests will see it says to wear it tight against your torso.

I saw another vid on youtube where a HK instructor said it was capable of penetrating several layers of kevlar from 50m..

eroo wrote: »
    I saw another vid on youtube where a HK instructor said it was capable of penetrating several layers of kevlar from 50m..

With a standard 9mm???? :eek:

My apologies,it was 50 yards.It can penetrate 22 layers of kevlar or kevlar helmet at 50 yards.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk37O80I07M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Nope, it uses special high velocity ammunition - 4.6x30mm, same as HK UCP P46

Mine too, it doesnt fire 9mm like the MP5 but has its own ammunition designed for the weapon and NATO spec which is plenty for police use.

Ireland seems to be one of the few police forces to have adopted the MP7 over its competitor FN P90 which is even stranger when you consider thats what the Rangers use. I suppose this might be down to the fact that its newer so more and more will be adopting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The guy in the video isnt testing properly. the vests need to be tight against a body or surface to work properly. He had it loose thereby reducing its ability.

Anyone that reads the instructions with their vests will see it says to wear it tight against your torso.

Its hard to get someone to wear one while being shot at :eek:

ojewriej wrote: »
    Nope, it uses special high velocity ammunition - 4.6x30mm, same as HK UCP P46

It will penetrate kevlar with a standard 9mm ball round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Are we in danger of getting into tackleberry/ Gareth from The Office territory here? HK this, .475 mm rounds that, kevlar coming out yer ying yang? Do you all subscribe to Guns'n'Ammo?

What's next, "out of my cold dead hand?".
    Maybe i'm missing the point altogether.:confused:

• Advertisement

deadwood wrote: »
    Are we in danger of getting into tackleberry/ Gareth from The Office territory here? HK this, .475 mm rounds that, kevlar coming out yer ying yang? Do you all subscribe to Guns'n'Ammo?

Having a limited knowledge(in my case)of weapons isn't illegal you know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

How do you know that?

deadwood wrote: »

I used to do competitive target shooting, was in Civ Def type of organisations, my dad was an armed copper and brother officer in the army. So I was around weapons my whole life really, and it is one of my interests. What's wrong with that?

Plus this thread is about ERUs new weapon, so it seems to me that you are indeed missing the point altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Faheywitane

The MP7 defiantly doesnt fire 9mm rounds.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_MP7

http://www.hk-usa.com/le_mp7a1_general.html.

Alas,you are correct..I read those 2 pages a month or so ago but I thought the instructor in the video said it is capable of firing 9mm ball!:o My apologies!:)

I had forgotten that it's rounds are unique to MP7!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

So the OP's question is answered then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement