Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interfaces and preamps (upgrading)

Options
  • 11-04-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

hiya,

i'm in the middle of a serious upgrade and have a few queries before i spend more cash.

i want to record the best quality audio possible. what is the best type of interface to use. firewire or PCI?
    i was thinking about a standalone firewire interface for convenience more than anything. one of these maybe:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/motu_828_mk_iii.htm heard good things about these

will the preamps on these type of interfaces give me a good sound or would a decent preamp be advisable. i'm well avare that you very much get what you pay for in this game so i know this could be an expensive addition. that said, if it gives me the results i want then happy days.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/spl_goldmike_9844.htm
    ive heard lots about these too.

i know theyre closer the lower end of the price spectrum but they might be good all the same. having read the thread about berhinger preamps i dont want to cheap out completely so opinions are appreciated.

do you guys always use exteranl preamps when recording? will spending more on a good interface elimintale the need for an external preamp?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

judas101 wrote: »
    hiya,

i want to record the best quality audio possible.

I used to own an 828 mk 2 - they are at best, average, if your stated intention is true!

I've never heard the SPL.

What it really comes down to is how much you want to spend and how far into the future you want to invest for.......

With Mic Pres and Conversion you get exactly what you pay for!

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

I have just sold my Motu 828MkII for exactly the same reasons you mention - to improve my mic pres & the quality of converters.

Short of buying separate pres & converters, the consensus of opinion seems to favour the Apogee Ensemble & Duet closely followed by the RME Fireface 800 & 400s. Metric Halo seem to have a great following in the US but are less common here.

BTW there seems to be lots people having trouble with the 828mK3 - have a look at gearslutz.com

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Thanks for the replier folks.

It's all very confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

The 828 mk 2 another ornament of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

dav nagle wrote: »
    The 828 mk 2 another ornament of mine.

what's youre interface of choice then dav?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

You can't go wrong with the RME fireface 800. It's amazing for the money! I've A/B'ed it with the apogee rosetta 800 the difference was slight considering the price difference.

My next purchase will be the prism opheus but it is very pricey!

The fireface pres aren't that great though, they are useable but not high end. When you are getting a pre amp go for a really good one then you'll never need to replace it. Something like the neve 1073 dpa, a great alrounder and it will be a toy for life.

judas101 wrote: »
    what's youre interface of choice then dav?

My choice is the SE Gemeni 2 >portico 5012> apogee 200 > Digi 002 via Mac pro.

I was warned long ago by a well known audio dealer not to buy equipment that would only slightly improve my recordings. I have made mistakes along the way and not listened and as a consequence my recordings have remained fairly standard. My 828 is a nice unit (96khz and all) but it doesn't do anything special, therefore it is an ornament.

I run a guitar school and thats how I fund the expensive gear. I am not a gear snob. If I had the talent I could be recording on a 4 track and produce something amazing. The point is, I would like to earn a living from my studio and the only way from here is to upgrade and live on sausages and mash. Its a small price to pay if my recordings start to sound pristine. All the professionals who started their own studio must of lived on potatoes and mash at one stage.

Buy whatever you like and maybe you hate my snob tone of writing but as you continue on this journey you will get what I am saying. Remember, I am not preaching but I am in competition with all the studios out there and it hurts like hell when I hear a pristine recording compared to mine. So I have built up the courage to live on smash and get on with getting the gear that the pro's use.

Better recordings = More business = business growth = happy Dav

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

I've got a deposit down on a RME Fireface 800. Have only read great things about it. Should have qualified the Apogee ensemble/duet post yesterday by saying they are presently Mac only.

www.jjvernon.com

JJV wrote: »
    I've got a deposit down on a RME Fireface 800. Have only read great things about it. Should have qualified the Apogee ensemble/duet post yesterday by saying they are presently Mac only.

www.jjvernon.com

Hey JJ,

Nice to hear form you.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

My choice is the SE Gemeni 2 >portico 5012> apogee 200 > Digi 002 via Mac pro.

I was warned long ago by a well known audio dealer not to buy equipment that would only slightly improve my recordings. I have made mistakes along the way and not listened and as a consequence my recordings have remained fairly standard. My 828 is a nice unit (96khz and all) but it doesn't do anything special, therefore it is an ornament.

I run a guitar school and thats how I fund the expensive gear. I am not a gear snob. If I had the talent I could be recording on a 4 track and produce something amazing. The point is, I would like to earn a living from my studio and the only way from here is to upgrade and live on sausages and mash. Its a small price to pay if my recordings start to sound pristine. All the professionals who started their own studio must of lived on potatoes and mash at one stage.

Buy whatever you like and maybe you hate my snob tone of writing but as you continue on this journey you will get what I am saying. Remember, I am not preaching but I am in competition with all the studios out there and it hurts like hell when I hear a pristine recording compared to mine. So I have built up the courage to live on smash and get on with getting the gear that the pro's use.

Better recordings = More business = business growth = happy Dav

Very true Dav! Although the best gear doesn't nessicarily mean the best sound. It takes a long time to delevope an ear and a lot of trial and error before it all gels every time. Heck, I doubt any engineer can claim they know it all and that is the beauty of it.

Give two guitaists the same guitar, same strings, same amp, same settings, same mics in the same position on the cab and same pre amps with the same gain into the same convertors and tell them to play the same riff to the same drum beat, they will sound different!! The point being is that everything changes on a day to day basis, it is only by having a good ear for what is "right" for a song and having the experience to know how to achieve it with the people and the gear you have at hand that guarentees a great sound everytime. Great gear is the best place to start though! It's a long road to get there and I'm still walking it, but atleast it's good fun on the way!!

BTW, I love the gemini, great mic!!! The best mic you can buy for the money IMHO!

• Advertisement

''Very true Dav!''

Totally Brettzy! I am with you all the way . Just to add some flavor to the mix of this wonderful thread I will mention the importance of having a good knack of making people feel warm and comfortable in your studio.

Everybody I meet in this world no matter how big or small, I judge them on their basic generosity. I have met some fantastic engineers with a small amount of generosity. I mean who in Gods name would let their feelings and emotions go in a studio situation with those guys?

The one thing I will always and never forget is my good nature when working with a client . That way the client will give you a good performance in return!

Cheers to that I hear you say Brettzy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

''Very true Dav!''

Totally Brettzy! I am with you all the way . Just to add some flavor to the mix of this wonderful thread I will mention the importance of having a good knack of making people feel warm and comfortable in your studio.

Everybody I meet in this world no matter how big or small, I judge them on their basic generosity. I have met some fantastic engineers with a small amount of generosity. I mean who in Gods name would let their feelings and emotions go in a studio situation with those guys?

The one thing I will always and never forget is my good nature when working with a client . That way the client will give you a good performance in return!

Cheers to that I hear you say Brettzy!

Dav , I'm putting you up for the Nobel Prize for Prose ...

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Dav , I'm putting you up for the Nobel Prize for Prose ...

What is proze?

Oh I see! Nice one!!

Prose is writing distinguished from poetry by its greater variety of rhythm and its closer resemblance to everyday speech.

I could make a good audio salesman ! Just imagine the down to earth electric gravity field of excitement I could shoot down some poor buggers throat! He would buy my gear anyway! CONFIDENCE IS EXCELLENCE, COCKINESS IS COCK

Advertisement