Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milford

Options
  • 11-04-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,

I am currently based in Letterkenny but want to buy somewhere about 30 mins drive away. What kind of place is Milford? The houses seem abnormally cheap there for the quality of them.
    Is it a place to raise kids?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 moody cow!

Im from around there originally and if you are alreday from the country you mightn't mind it..Location is very good too and if you already have an established social outlet in L Kenny ur ok. Its very parochial and a real hotbed of gossip down in Milf. Think its not as bad now as it used to be. If u wanna rear kids there make sure that they go to shool in Lkenny!!
    This sounds wrong but even though i went to second level in Milf myself the kids up in Lkenny seem so much better adjusted in every sense to this day. Mayb just stick to extracurricular activiites in milf!!
    Its definitely good value for money and the cost of living is slightly cheaper.
    Doe=wnside is that it will be harder to sell ur house on if it came to it, unless its a palace but even then. For some reason its not easy in Milf!! or anywhere that direction unless portsalon or touristy type areas!

Dont know if this will help!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Shels_Gar

moody cow! wrote: »
    If u wanna rear kids there make sure that they go to shool in Lkenny!!

Why is this? Are there any schools out that way or are they just not good enough?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would rarely be in Milford but from knowing a couple of people from the area I wouldnt share the sentiments expressed above by moody cow.

A lot of things like schools is down to personal opinions and I have certainly heard nothing negative about schools in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Sorry I don't have any specifics but Milford sounds like it might be a very nice place indeed to live. 20 minutes from Letterkenny, and the gateway to the Fanad peninsula. 10 minutes from Kilmacrennan, leading to Dunfanaghy and west Donegal.

My brother moved there about a year ago. He's delighted with the place. Got a good deal on a new house. He'd much rather send his young son to the local school than the larger ones in LK, for his own reasons.

I could ask him if you need to know anything specific.

If I could do it, I'd follow him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its very parochial and a real hotbed of gossip down in Milf.

So, same as every other small town in Ireland :D
    Its definitely good value for money and the cost of living is slightly cheaper.
    Doe=wnside is that it will be harder to sell ur house on if it came to it, unless its a palace but even then. For some reason its not easy in Milf!! or anywhere that direction unless portsalon or touristy type areas!

House prices are very reasonable in Milford and there seems to be a big supply with no demand, so you could get an even better bargain if the seller wants a quick sale.
    I'm currently looking to buy a house outside of Letterkenny, i've look at a few houses in Milford, but i think we'll buy in Kilmacrenan. No real reason other than there are more houses in the specs we want in Kilmacrenan.
    Selling it on will be harder (outside Letterkenny) but in the current market, you should ask yourself, 'will i be happy living in this house for the next 10+years'.
    I think i'd be happier living in Milford, Kilmacrenan or Churchill rather than Letterkenny in 10 years time.

• Advertisement

Thanks alot guys, some good stuff there.
    I was in Milford at the weekend and really like it, it's wile relaxed and at circa €160,000+ for a relatively new three bed semi D it certainly seems like a good place to buy......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

You must ask yourself why houses are so cheap in Milford? Even though it's within 20 minutes of Letterkenny and within minutes of beautiful scenery, beches etc. it was always way cheaper than neighbouring areas. Why would a town with this much going for it be so cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

deadwood wrote: »
    You must ask yourself why houses are so cheap in Milford? Even though it's within 20 minutes of Letterkenny and within minutes of beautiful scenery, beches etc. it was always way cheaper than neighbouring areas. Why would a town with this much going for it be so cheap?

So, what are you getting at? spit it out?

As for why it cheaper than neighboring areas, what areas? Closer to letterkenny is dearer, because its less of a commute for many people. Any direction away from milford leads to the coast, and closer to the sea is dearer again.
    Its not as much a commuter town as Remelton, and there is little of no industry in Milford.

Milford could be a complete hole (for all i know), but i work with a few people from there and they all seem happy to live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Gar, what housing development was it that you saw those prices?

Senna wrote: »
    So, what are you getting at? spit it out?

As for why it cheaper than neighboring areas, what areas? Closer to letterkenny is dearer, because its less of a commute for many people. Any direction away from milford leads to the coast, and closer to the sea is dearer again.
    Its not as much a commuter town as Remelton, and there is little of no industry in Milford.

Milford could be a complete hole (for all i know), but i work with a few people from there and they all seem happy to live there.
    I'm not getting at anything. It's just that I always wondered what was the problem with Milford. It never seemed to be moving on when the rest of the country was (and "development" is not always a good thing - look at Dunfanaghy and Downings).

• Advertisement

The only reason i said that about Milford was that it may not be the best place to school a child that is any way very soft or sensitive!!
    Also i only attended secondary school there..
    Creative types will struggle to develop well..they will never be just left to do their own thing, but that prob not an issue anyhow!!
    We are a very stoic and strong people up that way and not at all into the 'airy fairy stuff' Mind you id say its getting better.

If you move there never ever ever ever ever and i stress ever lose touch wit ur Lkenny connections!! You will aways be a blow in, even when you think you have been accepted!!

I have a cousin though who moved with his wife from ****** (he is Milford originally though) and his kids have ****** accents and they are defo considered blowins! I'll not say where from as its recognisable in a place like Milford... :p

I've lived in a lot of places in this country and i've never found any place as strange as Milford and its more northerly surrounds...
    And by the way im born and bred!

Still very beautiful and lovely place for me to come visit!!

The only reason i said that about Milford was that it may not be the best place to school a child that is any way very soft or sensitive!!
    Also i only attended secondary school there..
    Creative types will struggle to develop well..they will never be just left to do their own thing, but that prob not an issue anyhow!!
    We are a very stoic and strong people up that way and not at all into the 'airy fairy stuff' Mind you id say its getting better.

If you move there never ever ever ever ever and i stress ever lose touch wit ur Lkenny connections!! You will aways be a blow in, even when you think you have been accepted!!

I have a cousin though who moved with his wife from ****** (he is Milford originally though) and his kids have ****** accents and they are defo considered blowins! I'll not say where from as its recognisable in a place like Milford... :p

I've lived in a lot of places in this country and i've never found any place as strange as Milford and its more northerly surrounds...
    And by the way im born and bred!

Still very beautiful and lovely place for me to come visit!!
    I'm with you there, moody cow.
    I know people (me included) who have lived and worked there for 30+ years, are involved in local activities - people who really give something back, but they are still "yer man from x,y or z." This, of course, is a normal small town mentality, but in my time there, a day never passed without someone asking where I was from in a manner suggesting I didn't belong.
    Then again, as a non - Donegal native, I never adjusted to the county as a whole.
    Still, Milford has some great people in it and like a lot of places, people who don't stray too far from the norm (i.e. g.a.a./polyester english and celtic soccer shirts/anti english/newest car possible/ nothing too arty with sub-titles/satellite dish/wkd swilling) will get on fine.:D

Don't get me wrong folks. This is common for every town here and abroad. You have to try different places to se what suits. Milford wasn't for me because I had nothing in common with the majority there. Travel a few miles away and the atmosphere is completely different. Again, one mans meat.....

deadwood wrote: »
    I'm with you there, moody cow.
    I know people (me included) who have lived and worked there for 30+ years, are involved in local activities - people who really give something back, but they are still "yer man from x,y or z." This, of course, is a normal small town mentality, but in my time there, a day never passed without someone asking where I was from in a manner suggesting I didn't belong.
    Then again, as a non - Donegal native, I never adjusted to the county as a whole.
    Still, Milford has some great people in it and like a lot of places, people who don't stray too far from the norm (i.e. g.a.a./polyester english and celtic soccer shirts/anti english/newest car possible/ nothing too arty with sub-titles/satellite dish/wkd swilling) will get on fine.:D

Don't get me wrong folks. This is common for every town here and abroad. You have to try different places to se what suits. Milford wasn't for me because I had nothing in common with the majority there. Travel a few miles away and the atmosphere is completely different. Again, one mans meat.....
    Its fairly obvious why you were here in Donegal (for 30 years you say). Its a pity that you havent a more positive attitude to Milford and perhaps Donegal in general but then again a lot of Donegal people dont have have a very high regard for people in certain jobs. And would you really blame them?

Quite honestly I find your remarks offensive but we are well used to that type of thing down the years.

muffler wrote: »
    Its fairly obvious why you were here in Donegal (for 30 years you say). Its a pity that you havent a more positive attitude to Milford and perhaps Donegal in general but then again a lot of Donegal people dont have have a very high regard for people in certain jobs. And would you really blame them?

Quite honestly I find your remarks offensive but we are well used to that type of thing down the years.

Muffler, I clearly stated that these traits are common to every place. You point out that you were rarely there. I was there for six years, I didn't mean to imply I was there for thirty. Don't be so defensive!

No thing about this area is that the real local (well majority of) have so much kindness in a very nosy way!!:D You will never be stuck for a mate as long as you have hot gossip and a devious nature!! Mind games galore!!:D:rolleyes:

when you're truly in need you'll never be stuck for help... social responsibility is ingrained in a place where every one is related to everyone in a distant way :) They look after one another, in a very suffocating kind of way.

Have you anything positive to say about the area or do you live in utopia?

Keep trolling and you will need to find another forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Your home is were you make it, I live in Milford but keep myself to myself know very few people there. I like the place, if you think its for you go for it. There are worst places to live

Bligh wrote: »
    Your home is were you make it, I live in Milford but keep myself to myself know very few people there. I like the place, if you think its for you go for it. There are worst places to live
    Well said.

Thanks for all your input guys.....I didn't mean to start a heated debate but what the hey....
    It seems the whole small town mentality thing is in every town in ireland.
    I'm a Dub but have lived up here on and off for the last eight years and still get funny looks at my accent.
    I keep myself to myself and would not want to piss people off with my actions when I move to an area but I'm totally prepared for the reactions and the great donegal thing of having a good ole stare at 'the new buck wi the funny hair'....(I have dreadlocks):).

Whoever was asking - The houses I saw were in a development on the Ramelton side of the town...about 160,000ish maybe a wee bit more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Whatever you decide the best of luck and if I see a "bleedin jackeen" with dredlocks in Milford I'll make sure I stop and have a good auld stare, I'll be the one wearing the t shirt sayin I shot JR and telling the local Priest "father I killed a Man" :D

All the best with the move

Shels_Gar wrote: »
    Thanks for all your input guys.....I didn't mean to start a heated debate but what the hey....
    It seems the whole small town mentality thing is in every town in ireland.
    I'm a Dub but have lived up here on and off for the last eight years and still get funny looks at my accent.
    I keep myself to myself and would not want to piss people off with my actions when I move to an area but I'm totally prepared for the reactions and the great donegal thing of having a good ole stare at 'the new buck wi the funny hair'....(I have dreadlocks):).

Whoever was asking - The houses I saw were in a development on the Ramelton side of the town...about 160,000ish maybe a wee bit more...
    No matter who you are or where you're from or where you move to you are always going to get the stares and the whispers from the locals. Give it a bit of time and it will get better thats if it is ever bad to start with and I dont think it will be.

The trick is not to isolate yourself from the local community. If you take a drink well talk to a few of the locals and maybe even buy the odd pint. Get involved in some local voluntary or community activities - soccer, gaelic football, athletics etc. Offer to help out with a bit of coaching or stewarding or fund raising.

Donegal folk are one of the (if not the most) friendliest and welcoming communities in the country. Why do you think Gay Byrne took up residence here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mr Kite

Hi Shels Gar, pm in the post for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mcbads08

Bit of a delayed reaction to this post... but here's my two cent anyway!

As a Milford native (although have lived away from home for about 10 years!) and someone who grew up in Milford I would totally recommend it as a place to bring up kids and live a pretty good life!
    Shel Gar here's my pro's and con's to the area... some of which have already been discussed but shur here goes anyway ;)

Pro's:
    • fantastic location - near lkenny for commuting or shopping but far enough out of the suburbs to have great house prices
    • brilliant community (although it has some cons) especially great for kids who are into sport, loadsa people in the community give up so much of their time to help youngsters!
    • pretty safe area - i heard it went through a bit of a patch there a few years back where there was a bit of a rough crowd but it seems to have passed again in recent years!
    • teh scenery - only when i moved away did i realise how lucky we are to be on the shores of the beautiful mulroy and only a quick spin away from amazing beaches (mind you a decent summer to take advantage of them would be handy!!!)
    • great schools - i know some stuff about the schools in milford was mentioned in an earlier post but to fair both the convent and tech have been rebuilt in the last 5 years with top class facilities - hardly a bad selection considering the size of the area!
    • the craic! - there's been alot of talk about always being seen as a 'blow in' to be fair maybe as a native i'm biased but i know loads of people who have moved into the area and become part of the community - i think it's fair to say that you get back from the town what you put into it - if you keep to yourself then people will let you but if you make an effort to get involved i'd be really suprised to hear you weren't 'accepted' (i'm making it sound like a cult LOL! :D)
    Cons
    • It is a small town and everybody does know everybody's business - it's a pro and a con - if you're having a bad time you can be sure people will rally around you, but if you have any skeletons then be prepared for it to be public knowledge!
    • facilities could be better, the sport culture is brilliant but if you're not into sports there isn't a whole pile to do!
    There you go, hope it helps a bit and best of luck with the move... wherever you end up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Hi Shels gar, Dub here as well in Donegal Town, just about completed my first year and would live nowhere else. Lovely people great way of life and peace and quiet. But...ssssh, dont tell anyone else from Dublin!! ;)

bohsboy wrote: »
    Hi Shels gar, Dub here as well in Donegal Town, just about completed my first year and would live nowhere else. Lovely people great way of life and peace and quiet. But...ssssh, dont tell anyone else from Dublin!! ;)
    Christ we are being overrun by the Dubs :D.

Delighted to hear you have settled in well and like the county.

Advertisement