Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape 2008

Options
  • 12-04-2008 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hi all just wondering are any brave souls signed up to do the Etape this year,if so,share your thoughts please,would like to hear what you think,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'm signed up for it - but I'm trying not to think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Yeah,know how you feel.Are you going with a group?,what kind of training are you doing for it,are you have nightmares about it.I drove up The Tourmalet last year,a steady climb about 7.5%,it feels like you could get a good cadence going,its the length of it thats shocking,it never ends,the descent will be a real challenge as well,as for the Hautcam,that's what really scared me,shorter but the gradient much steeper,anyway good luck,might see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Myself and a friend are doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Signed up as well.
    Training with a group of 7 others also signed up.
    All of them did last years Etape. They reckon this years is not too bad, just need to be careful of the time.
    Last few weeks increased to 5 days, two long spins at the weekend 50-60 miles and 3 fast spins during the week 20 -25 miles.
    The general opion in our group is the distance is not the problem but the time in the saddle. Need to build up to a couple of 6 hour spins to get the head in shape.
    All signed up for the Wicklow 200 as well. This will be a great guage of both fitness and mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Incidentally, is the Etape full, and how would one go about finding out? (There are a lot of operators.) Actually looks marginally more possible this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Freddy,i think your bang on with the training,its the hours in the saddle that will do it,im doing a similar regime,hill work during the week,1 longish spin maybe 100 km midweek,a short club league race for the speed and conditioning then a long club ride, 100 120 kms on the Sunday.
    As far as i know but could be wrong you have to go with some sort of organised group,they wont accept individual entries but am open to correction,anyway good luck to all and The Wicklow will really give us some indication of what level we are at.

blorg,
    If you want to do it you will need to use one of the tour companies. This the only for people not living in France, who have to enter a lottery, to get a place.
    Most of the companies are selling packages, hotel, shuttle buses to and from the airport etc. But you have to arrange the flights yourself.
    Try the irish operators first, you might get a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I want to do this in 2009, how early do i need to sign up??

The organizers usually announce the the route in October, the tour operators will probably need a week or two after that to get their packages sorted.
    So keep an eye out from mid October.

www.letapedutour.com

Advertisement