Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OU BSc Psychology - How long to complete

• 12-04-2008 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I am contemplating starting the OU Psychology degree and im unsure on the best route to take. i.e what modules to take first? How many modules per year?

I would love to hear from anyone who is currently studying for this degree or has in the past, your experiences and any valuable advice you can offer.

The OU website suggests taking 'An introduction to social science' L1 as one of your first courses. Personally I would prefer to take on of the science based courses first. Such as 'Exploring science' or some of the shorter biology Health based courses. Are there any disadvantages in not takin the social courses?

I work full time. However, the work follows a shift pattern where I have 3 days off one week and 4 the next, so I have a good bit of spare time to allow for study. I want to complete the course in 3 years. Is this unrealistic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

Ok. no replies! Can someone please tell me about their own experiences with the OU BSc in Psychology. Any feedback greatly appreciated!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I started mine with DD100 (intro to soc sci). Then I took 2 years off.
    You can't do 120 points in one year if you have a job, because that's equivalent to full time study.

I then did ED209 (child development) and DSE212 (Exploring psychology). These are two 60 point level 2 courses. I did fine in the assignments but I just didn't have enough time to study enough to pass both courses and I ended up having to repeat ED209 and I didn't get a great grade in the DSE212 exam.

The next year I did SD226 (biological psychology), a 30 point level 2 course. This was *very* challenging and I think it should be worth 60 points because I was putting in the amount of work needed for a 60 point course. Then I did DZX222 exploring psychology project. This was a 3 month course where you do a project based on stuff you've learned during DSE212.

So this year I am doing DD307 (social psychology) which is really hard work and there is no way you should do a full length course alongside it. The jump from what's expected of you from level 2 to level 3 is a bit of a shock at first.
    I'm also doing a 2 month 'Applying psychology' course in June. After this, assuming I pass my exam, i'll be awarded a B.Sci Ordinary degree. If you want to do postgrad you need an honours degree so i'll need another 60 point course to get that.

Next year I will do DD303 (cognitive psychology) and then that's me finished.

All in all it will have taken me SIX YEARS from that first course! Having said that, if I had worked harder and not had to repeat an exam I could have done it in 5 years.

There's no way I would have gone back to university. I couldn't afford it. The OU is highly regarded and i've got nothing bad to say about it.

I'd definitely recommend this course over a part time degree such as the one DBS offer. My friend is doing theirs and it's not science oriented at all, there's so much psychoanalysis in it, which is a waste of time if you want to work in clinical or neuropsych like I do. I also like how the OU degree is very clear cut, and you basically just need to do about 7 or 8 modules to get your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

Thanks for the reply Etho. I can see from what you have said and from other research that 3 years to complete this course is totally unrealistic.

Do you think the guidlines on the OU website for study time are accurate. 8hrs per week for 30 point L2 module, 16 for 60 point etc.How many hours per week did you need for each module?

Also I am considering doing one of the science based 10 point courses which start in May to get a feel for the OU. To see whether I will like the format or not. If i do it will be full steam ahead in Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭m4j

Hi,

Having also done the Certificate which gave me 60points I then went on to do the 3yr Diploma in Counselling, other dips in counselling, Social Care etc and followed on with the BSc (Hons) In psychotherapy. I then realised that I wanted to be apart of the PSI, so I did the graduate diploma in psychology with the OU I got previous credit for the other qualifications but still had to do 3 or 4 modules, this took me two years doubling up on each year, this I would not recommend at all, very difficult if you work and have a life.

Yes the OU does reflect acuratly the amount of time required to study, I chanced my arm alot did well on the marked assignments but dreadful on the exams. Realisticly if you do not have a BSc already it will take you 5 years to complete the BSc in Psychology. For me I am now trapped in a way, I have my gradute membership but can't do any of the clinical courses i.e. counselling and clinical psychology as both are full time, I need to work etc. So my advice is to look at exactly were you want to go with your BSc in psychology as although brilliant to have inmany professions if you want to move on you clearly need to be living at home with mum and dad and possibly be very rich.

Great discussion point, any advice or support I can offer just ask and vice a versa I am open to all advice.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 17 minddoodle

Hi M4j
    I am very interested in your experience of OU as I also have a qualification in Counselling & Psychotherapy and have often seriously considered doing the Psychology Graduate diploma course. I would have thought that your best option now would be the Independent route to becoming a Counselling Psychologist. There is info on the BPS website.
    Can you tell me in your opinion, if you were juggling work and family with study, what is the best way to approach the Psych Grad Dip course - is it possible to take 3 or 4 years to do it?
    many thanks.

• Advertisement

Warning - I think the degree in psychotherapy you're talking about is with DBS? Do you know their courses aren't accredited by the BPS? I would not waste my time doing a degree that only had PSI recognition, given the high likelihood you will have to go to the UK to train, your degree will not be recognised and you probably won't be able to get into a masters or phd!!

Goldigga - yeah those recommended study hours sound right, however it's very easy to get into a cramming mentality with the OU, it takes a lot of self discipline to study a bit every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭m4j

The OU is a very good college, but is acedemic and requires alot of reading, for the Grad Dip Conversion you are now required to achieve a 2.2 honours to get accreditation with the BPS, so this is something to consider overall. I did find it very hard but it is possible to finish the Conversion Dip in three years, doing a level two module and level three module each year and then maybe the 30pont module at the end, Very challenging and tiring. I rushed through it myself but if I had taken my time I believe the experience would have been more rewarding. Ensure they tell you in writing exactly what modules are needed, you may even get the DSE212 module off for having you degree if you can show that it included a high level of Psychology.

I dont think the route you are talking about in receiving my Clinical Registration as a Counselling Psychologist is available in Ireland? but would love to hear more about it if you had time.

Hope this brief insight helps, I am writing as I run out the door so forgive me if its rushed.

Warm Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Hi
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but its relevant to my question

A college in Kilkenny is running the OU BSc Psychology thhis October

over 3 years, with actual physical classes once a fortnight

That I could do it in 3 years is Very tempting to me, especially as its possible my work will switch to only parttime

But does nto seem realistic time frame based on other people's posts ?

ALso am not in that field and not entirely interested in pursuing psyche as profession, more to get a degree which I'm told I will nneed in the future to continue tutoring (FETAC), But I have a real interest in community and adult education and I think there is at least a bit of cross over

However I am very interested in psychology, have texts at home etc

Any opinions would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kitkat.3b4t

Hi
    I studied with OU and graduated in 2006. Studying psychology is very hard. If you're not really interested in psyc why not just do a BA in Adult Education.

DCU offer a 3 year level 6 degree in adult ed, part-time. If you still want to study psychology after that you should be able to get circa 120 points towards a BSc with OU which would mean that you could get 2 degrees in 7 years. Sounds like a long time!

Anyway if you're just interested in adult ed the course at DCU is much easier. UCD also offer a certificate in adult ed and many colleges offer part time courses in this subject. Maynooth offer courses in community studies. Look at your options and think of job opportunities etc before making any choices!!

Hi thanks for the reply but DCU is not an option, the benefit of this OU option is there is support in kilkenny

did NUIM cert in community ed already. only other real option degree locally is ba in socil studies i think its called, and guidance counsellor did not recommend it as she gave me the impression it was not highly regarded and limited

dunno what to do

I want a degree, for a multitude of reasons,, not least that i'm pretty intelligent yet my brain is never exercised, yet i have work and family commitmentsthagt limit options

some time back i would of leapt at possibility of doing a psyche degree locally

ah i don't know grrr

• Advertisement

Hi
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but its relevant to my question

A college in Kilkenny is running the OU BSc Psychology thhis October

over 3 years, with actual physical classes once a fortnight

That sounds unlikely, unless it's full-time?
    Here's a breakdown of what I studied:
    DD100 (social science), 60 points, ran Feb-Oct
    DSE212 (intro to psych), 60 points, ran Jan-Oct
    DXR222 (exploring psych project), 15 points, June-Oct
    ED209 (child/developmental) psych, 60 points, Jan-Oct
    DSE232 (applying psychology), 15 points, June-Oct
    SD226 (biological psych), 30 points, feb-oct
    DD307 (social psych), 60 points, Jan-Oct
    DD303 (cognitive psych), 60 points, Jan-Oct (with a 1 week residential school)

I can't see how you could do this in three years, it's taken me 5 years as it's so tough to do alongside working full-time, and the OU won't allow you to take more than 90 points in a year unless you are not working or have a very good reason for doing >90 points.

As a matter of interest, what college is it and how much is it costing?
    The reason I ask is that the OU is pretty expensive for students in Ireland as it's not subsidised by the govt, and I can't imagine the OU would allow a physical college to offer THEIR courses, and charge students more on top of the OU course fee to study their degree!

Hi its Empower

Instead of a link I've attached an outline they forwarded to me - if thats OK ?

also some detail from their email
    Just to explain exactly how the course is run, it is in conjunction with The Open University, who offer courses on a distance learning basis. The course is awarded by them. The course is recognised in Ireland by the PSI and also in the UK. We at Empower Colleges are going to offer this course to students who are interested and capable of completing the degree as a taught programme but using distance learning materials.

We have also organised a number of very exiting and innovative workshops to run throughout the duration of the course on very cutting edge topics that will be of significant interest to anyone studying psychology. For example looking at the whole area of Neuro Linguistic Programming & Coaching among others. We will also be covering topics such as behavioural studies within the course which will give you FETAC Accreditation in conjunction with your Degree.

While there will be an element of self-discipline required to complete the course work on your own time the classes each fortnight will really assist you with your core learning’s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

Empower are offering the programme as a full-time option - 120pts per year in the same was as Bray College of FE do. I know the students in Bray apply to the VEC for a grant to pay the fees.

Essentially it's a collaborative programme with the OU - all above board.

The OU fees will be the same as if you were an ordinary part-time student, if they are offering other courses wrapped round the degree e.g. FETAC to bring study hours up the FT equivalent to meet grant criteria, there may be additional costs.

Here is the Bray scheme, Empower seem to be offering the same.

http://www.bife.ie/courses/openuniversity/

EMPOWER COLLEGE IS NOT ABOVE BOARD - THE OU ARE *NOT* WORKING WITH THEM.

I emailed the OU about them last month as I found empower's course plan ridiculous - the amount of courses you do in year two is simply impossible to study part-time.

Here's the reply I got from the OU:

"We have managed to find out further information regarding a website that you advised us about in Kilkenny, Ireland.

It has been confirmed that it is definitely NOT the case that a psychology BSc, recognised by the BPS, can be studied jointly through Empower Colleges (Empower Training Newtown Manor, New Orchard Road, Kilkenny) and the Open University. The suggestion that the degree is jointly presented is incorrect. Apparently Empower approached the OU about using Empower venues for OU tutorials but the connection is no more than that.

We have now contacted Empower to ensure that they correctly update their website. I apologise for the delay in getting back to you regarding this query and thank you for alerting us to this information."

Advertisement