Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memory upgrade

• 12-04-2008 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Bit of a novice so do not laugh too much,

Want to add memory to my old computer,ther are two types available the only difference is one has "parity" and the other is "ECC"

I know I cannot mix the two but how do I find out what is in my computer now. Took off the side panel but cannot read the current chips at this angle,should I power down and just remove one memory bank and read it or is it that simple,can I just do that without hurting the computer?

Thanks for any help realise it is a bit low tech for most here but we all start somewhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

yeah just turn it off, flick out the little white tabs at either end and pull it out. sometimes they can be a bit stuck but they come out and it won't damage your pc. You should make sure to ground yourself first by touching some exposed metal on the case to discharge any static from you.

What kind of pc is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

A Dell dimensions XPS T series with a pentium 3.The Dell site offers both types of memory,ECC and Parity on a kingston 256MB but I read that I shouldnt mix and I dont know the difference.
    I have 3 slots one with a 128 and one with a 256 I was going to put 3 x 256 just to eke another year or two out of it,it is already 8 yrs old but does me.

Advertisement