Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco TV's

Options
  • 12-04-2008 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

Tesco are selling TVs but none are on display. They must be bought boxed and they will not be refunded if they buyer is not happy with picture/sound/ whatever which would have been obvious if the TV had been on display. Can they do that legally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Yes, retailers are only required to offer refunds\repair\exchange if the product is defective due to a manufacturing defect.

It's up to the customer to research the product before purchase.

Tesco is a grocery store and only sells electrical items as extra items, these are usually sold far cheaper than most other retailers.

If the TV didn't work at all or was obviously faulty, Tesco would have to deal with returns etc.. However, if you but a cheap TV and it's not as good as a more expensive model, that is your problem

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Our local Tesco is huge and all TVs are shown working on display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

It's up to the customer to research the product before purchase.
    How, by reading the box?
    Tesco is a grocery store and only sells electrical items as extra items, these are usually sold far cheaper than most other retailers.
    No matter, Tesco is a business selling TV's. If they sell them as extras or cheaper the buyer still has same rights under SOGSOSA
    However, if you but a cheap TV and it's not as good as a more expensive model, that is your problem
    No that is not the point, no one can see how good it is.I do not mean to compare it with more expensive models but to see if it is, in the buyers opinion, worth the reduced price.I have written to the NCA to ask the situation.

KtK wrote: »
    Our local Tesco is huge and all TVs are shown working on display.
    In the store I looked at the Bush 19 inch LCD i was told none of them were on display

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's the same with Lidl/Aldi when they have specials, none on display, but that doesn't stop the vultures opening up the boxes. Although I've never seen somebody going to the lengths of plugging a tv in :pac:

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    It's the same with Lidl/Aldi when they have specials, none on display, but that doesn't stop the vultures opening up the boxes. Although I've never seen somebody going to the lengths of plugging a tv in :pac:
    Never saw a TV in Aldi/Lidl and would not buy if it was in a box there either

How, by reading the box?

No matter, Tesco is a business selling TV's. If they sell them as extras or cheaper the buyer still has same rights under SOGSOSA

No that is not the point, no one can see how good it is.I do not mean to compare it with more expensive models but to see if it is, in the buyers opinion, worth the reduced price.I have written to the NCA to ask the situation.

You could get the model number and look it up on the internet.

Under SOGSOSA the consumer is entitled to goods that are free from defect and suitable for their purpose. A TV is bought to watch TV or videos or to play video games. If the TV is capable of doing what it was designed to do it is suitable for sale under the Act.

Looking at goods on display in a shop doesn't really display how they work in a home environment. For example, my dad bought a "Media Centre" pc from a large PC reatiler and when we got home it sounded like a jet was about to take off due to all the fans etc.. The computer was on display in the shop, but the noise was not noticable due to the ambient noise etc in the shop.

You could always get the model number from Tesco and then go into an electrical retailer to see the model on display and then buy the tv in Tesco if you were happy with it.

By the way, if you go to a Tesco Extra store, they normally have the TV's on display anyway

jahalpin wrote: »
    You could get the model number and look it up on the internet.
    Can't find much on net
    Under SOGSOSA the consumer is entitled to goods that are free from defect and suitable for their purpose. .
    And how to decide if they are suitable for theor purpose without seeing them in action?
    Looking at goods on display in a shop doesn't really display how they work in a home environment
    Better idea than looking at box.
    You could always get the model number from Tesco and then go into an electrical retailer to see the model on display and then buy the tv in Tesco if you were happy with it
    .Yes I have the model number but not seen it elsewhere yet, cannot find on net either
    By the way, if you go to a Tesco Extra store, they normally have the TV's on display anyway
    In the Tesco I went to there were some on display but not that model. I asked if it would be on display they said no. BTW what do they do with the display models do they sell them off cheap -er?

And how to decide if they are suitable for theor purpose without seeing them in action?

The purpose of a TV is to watch TV signals (which include video and video games). That is the only purpose that a TV as to satisfy in law.

That is the only purpose that a TV as to satisfy in law.
    NCA will confirm what the TV has to satisfy in law and whether Tesco can sell them as they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Can't find much on net--
    Yes I have the model number but not seen it elsewhere yet, cannot find on net either

First DVD player I ever bought was a Warfdale from Tesco, it was exclusive to them and not available anywhere else.

This might be a factor here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

If you wish to compare tv picture/sound quality, go to Currys and the like. If you want cheap tv's, go to Tesco.

You are no more entitled to see it's operation beforehand than you are to taste a DairyMilk before you purchase. You can't return the chocolate after you buy just because you weren't too keen on it; same principle applies to the tv's.

No one is forcing you to purchase a boxed from Tesco. If you are not happy with their service, take your business elsewhere.

Advertisement