Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settle a silly bet

• 12-04-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Can any one settle a bet between myself and a cousin.Are gardai allowed to use phones whilst driving and on duty?He says they are and i say they are subject to same laws as everyone else.(Can you please state if you are a garda when replying)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I do belive that they are permitted to use them while on duty. There given them in some stations for the purpose of using it instead of the walkie-talkie which in unsecure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

No they're exempt from the law (i do believe if they were subject to it they couldnt use radio eighter). As far as I'm aware they can use state phones for offical use, ie they cant use personal phone to ring the missus but can use job phone to pass on sensitive info which they dont want to pass over the radio cause anyone with a cheap oul scanner can listen in

Other ES are exempt too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

darren254 wrote: »
    Can any one settle a bet between myself and a cousin.Are gardai allowed to use phones whilst driving and on duty?He says they are and i say they are subject to same laws as everyone else.

Your wrong on this one. Any member of An Garda Siochana, the HSE National Ambulance Service or any of the local authority fire & rescue services are exempt from this.

"The Road Traffic Act 2006 has created a new offence of holding a mobile phone while driving a vehicle in a public place. The law was introduced to eliminate the common practice of drivers using mobile phones while driving and thereby not concentrating fully on their driving. The offence is holding a mobile phone and does not require the driver to be making or receiving a call but merely holding the phone.

A number of people are exempt from the offence. For example, members of the Gardai, the ambulance service or the fire brigade service if they are acting in the course of their duty and holding the mobile phone in relation to the performance of their duty. Hold in relation to a mobile phone, means holding the phone by hand or supporting it or cradling it with another part of the body. Hands-free phone kits or Bluetooth technology is not now illegal and is outside the definition of mobile-phone."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Civilians are also exempt when using their mobile to contact any emergency service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

TheNog wrote: »
    Civilians are also exempt when using their mobile to contact any emergency service.

Surely only when stopping is unreasonable such as rushing to hospital? Life in danger sort of thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Surely only when stopping is unreasonable such as rushing to hospital? Life in danger sort of thing?

exactly.

also reporting drunk driver, crime committed and following scrotes and when your driving along and suddenly realise you've no brakes :D

Advertisement