Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL/CELTA/CELT answers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Hi, first time to post here.

After searching this thread for Argentina and getting only 2 results, I must ask a few questions:

Has anyone on here taught English in Argentina - or in South America for that matter?

Do you need TEFL in order to secure a job there?

[im in the process of doing an MA and looking to head off teaching english once im finished in September and i'd sooner head to South America than anywhere else]

I suggest heading to Dave's ESL and look for the poster called 'naturegirl.' She's a good friend of mine. She taught in South America for a couple of years and has a MA. She's from America but would definitely be able to answer some of your questions.

What is your MA in? If it's education/TESOL etc then you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I suggest heading to Dave's ESL and look for the poster called 'naturegirl.' She's a good friend of mine. She taught in South America for a couple of years and has a MA. She's from America but would definitely be able to answer some of your questions.

What is your MA in? If it's education/TESOL etc then you should be fine.
    No its an MA in Migration studies - human georgraphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Has anyone on here taught English in Argentina - or in South America for that matter?

Do you need TEFL in order to secure a job there?

I'm not able to answer your question exactly, but I did a CELT course in the last couple of months and I asked about working in South America during a careers class as I'm interested in going there at some point. I didn't get an awful lot of advice but apparently having British English rather than American English is a plus as it's seen as a more prestige version of the language. I'd imagine the more qualifications you have, the better, and if your MA is in English or an education-related subject I'd say you're fine. I'd be comfortable going in with my CELT (I also have an English degree).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Almanac

Many thanks to Clonesland and living in Korea for your replies. (Having problems with my laptop so not able to tune in as much).

I noticed the (gargantuan) South Korean thread so possibly this is off-topic but just wanted to ask you both here before I get a chance to take a partial look through it whether or not feedback such as the below

http://blacklist.tokyojon.com/dont_teach_in_korea.html

(a particularly detailed and informative blog piece) from websites such as this

http://blacklist.tokyojon.com/

were discussed.

It seems that many people have extremely negative experiences teaching in South Korea say as compared with Taiwan or Japan. The owner of the website even goes as far as saying that none of the recruiters should be trusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Almanac wrote: »
    Many thanks to Clonesland and living in Korea for your replies. (Having problems with my laptop so not able to tune in as much).

I noticed the (gargantuan) South Korean thread so possibly this is off-topic but just wanted to ask you both here before I get a chance to take a partial look through it whether or not feedback such as the below

http://blacklist.tokyojon.com/dont_teach_in_korea.html

(a particularly detailed and informative blog piece) from websites such as this

http://blacklist.tokyojon.com/

were discussed.

It seems that many people have extremely negative experiences teaching in South Korea say as compared with Taiwan or Japan. The owner of the website even goes as far as saying that none of the recruiters should be trusted.

A lot of people replied to that post in the korea thread, but for those who don't go into that thread, let me give you a brief synopsis.

People like to whinge.

People like to blog.

Join them together and you get a whinging blog by someone who never should have left their hometown.

• Advertisement

lol

cloneslad wrote: »
    A lot of people replied to that post in the korea thread, but for those who don't go into that thread, let me give you a brief synopsis.

People like to whinge.

People like to blog.

Join them together and you get a whinging blog by someone who never should have left their hometown.

Fair enough.

As the saying goes, if you have a good experience you´ll tell 3 people but if you have a bad experience, you´ll tell 30. What concerned me in particular, leaving aside individual grievances, was the US State warning about South Korea and someone mentioning that her binding contract was in Korean - and that this was the only one that counted.

As you say yourself, the more research you do beforehand, the more you minimise the risk. (I´ve noticed quite an amount of warnings about China as well, particularly a variety of unscrupulous recruiters using multiple aliases.)

Going back to the thread subject, have you any experience of the i to i courses or views on them? I know they are looked down on by a lot of people but at the very least they give some sort of preparation for teaching.

Going back to the thread subject, have you any experience of the i to i courses or views on them? I know they are looked down on by a lot of people but at the very least they give some sort of preparation for teaching.

I went with i-to-i and they also did placement for me as well. They gave me a couple of choices and I picked one of them. Since I didn't know the country or anybody there it was a good option. However, now a days the placement is a lot cheaper (and admittedly riskier) if you do it yourself through recruiters/education programs, etc.

Don't know how i-to-i is viewed now but back in 2003 I did their TEFL certificate course and had no trouble getting a pay raise the following year in a public school with that cert. Could be different now of course.

I went with i-to-i and they also did placement for me as well. They gave me a couple of choices and I picked one of them. Since I didn't know the country or anybody there it was a good option. However, now a days the placement is a lot cheaper (and admittedly riskier) if you do it yourself through recruiters/education programs, etc.

Don't know how i-to-i is viewed now but back in 2003 I did their TEFL certificate course and had no trouble getting a pay raise the following year in a public school with that cert. Could be different now of course.

What was the length of the course you did? 60 hours or more? The prices seem to be on the increase with even the 60 hour course costing over 200 euro (still a fraction of the CELTA / CELT alternatives though). Was it combined with a weekend tutorial?

And what was the content like? I downloaded a brochure but was unable to access it.

What was the length of the course you did? 60 hours or more? The prices seem to be on the increase with even the 60 hour course costing over 200 euro (still a fraction of the CELTA / CELT alternatives though). Was it combined with a weekend tutorial?

And what was the content like? I downloaded a brochure but was unable to access it.

As I was totally new to second language teaching the course content was interesting to me, lots of ideas about teaching but all a bit 'too perfect' for me. Of course, we (myself and other in the class) didn't ask any 'what if?' questions which is what we should have been doing. Everything was presented well but not in a lot of detail. The idea was probably to wet our appetites and make us sign up to the add on courses for more. I started out with the weekend intensive course in Galway and then did the adds on later on (grammar, young learners, business English...). I did pretty much everything I think as I was getting big discounts at the time. I have four separate scrolls with different hours marked on them, one of them being a diploma.

Looking back on the course now, I think it did place too much emphasis on grammar and its role in the class and too much emphasis on games too. I know that in reality most of the people who take their courses (any TEFL/TESOL course to be honest) do not know grammar well enough to teach it but that doesn't mean they have to enforce that again and again in the course. Having said that I did buy a grammar book from them on that weekend I took the course and I still have it on my shelf. I have used it from time to time and if you are going to teach English it is always handy to have a grammar reference book around. A book that will help you explain the grammar to a non-native speaker. We know the grammar as we use correct English all the time (and a lot of incorrect English too!) but we never learned the rules. Definitely invest in a grammar reference book before leaving to teach.

I still have their coursebook with me. I just flicked through it for the first time in years. Pretty light on classroom management which is probably the biggest reason why people leave the teaching profession in the first place. There are some errors too which I wouldn't have noticed earlier either along with some unrealistic lesson plans which are just too vague and pointless. It says not to use phrasal verbs and colloquialisms but that is untrue. You should always use a little of them and besides they are hard to avoid in speech. Your students do not expect you to be a computer. Also, totally disagree with the sentence that Task Based Language Teaching doesn't have any formal teaching, such as explaining a grammar point! That's totally incorrect!

Having said of that I did enjoy the course, I did learn a lot, I did realize that I wanted to be a teacher but the course is only a taster. If you take it as that then you will not be too disappointed and you will learn a lot.

Let me know if you have any further questions. It was a long time ago but I'll try to answer those questions.

• Advertisement

As I was totally new to second language teaching the course content was interesting to me, lots of ideas about teaching but all a bit 'too perfect' for me. Of course, we (myself and other in the class) didn't ask any 'what if?' questions which is what we should have been doing. Everything was presented well but not in a lot of detail. The idea was probably to wet our appetites and make us sign up to the add on courses for more. I started out with the weekend intensive course in Galway and then did the adds on later on (grammar, young learners, business English...). I did pretty much everything I think as I was getting big discounts at the time. I have four separate scrolls with different hours marked on them, one of them being a diploma.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it. Wondering what sort of "what if?" questions you have in mind here... is it in relation to the teaching methods, or classroom situations, or something else?
    Looking back on the course now, I think it did place too much emphasis on grammar and its role in the class and too much emphasis on games too. I know that in reality most of the people who take their courses (any TEFL/TESOL course to be honest) do not know grammar well enough to teach it but that doesn't mean they have to enforce that again and again in the course. Having said that I did buy a grammar book from them on that weekend I took the course and I still have it on my shelf. I have used it from time to time and if you are going to teach English it is always handy to have a grammar reference book around. A book that will help you explain the grammar to a non-native speaker. We know the grammar as we use correct English all the time (and a lot of incorrect English too!) but we never learned the rules. Definitely invest in a grammar reference book before leaving to teach.

That´s interesting. My concern was that there might not be enough grammar or practical tools, such as games, in these less intensive courses. So it´s good to hear the contrary! Certainly though, from what I´ve read, in somewhere like China, for example, it seems as if Chinese teachers handle the technical aspects of the language while the native speaker is simply required to help students with speaking and listening skills. And this seems to be the case in both public and private schools.
    I still have their coursebook with me. I just flicked through it for the first time in years. Pretty light on classroom management which is probably the biggest reason why people leave the teaching profession in the first place. There are some errors too which I wouldn't have noticed earlier either along with some unrealistic lesson plans which are just too vague and pointless. It says not to use phrasal verbs and colloquialisms but that is untrue. You should always use a little of them and besides they are hard to avoid in speech. Your students do not expect you to be a computer. Also, totally disagree with the sentence that Task Based Language Teaching doesn't have any formal teaching, such as explaining a grammar point! That's totally incorrect!

Having said of that I did enjoy the course, I did learn a lot, I did realize that I wanted to be a teacher but the course is only a taster. If you take it as that then you will not be too disappointed and you will learn a lot.

Let me know if you have any further questions. It was a long time ago but I'll try to answer those questions.

Thanks. i to i sounds like what I´m looking for alright. Even though I already have an English degree (it was a good while back - in the mid nineties), I have no more knowledge of the grammatical aspects of the language than the average graduate. If I go for it, the degree in English should help my chances of securing a good enough post while i to i would help with the practical preparation.

As was discussed earlier in the thread, the CELTA / CELT courses are quite expensive and means you are committed before even testing the waters. Also, as was also mentioned, they are quite intimidating in approach (particularly the CELTA).

LiK, did the initial lack of detail you mentioned mean that you were left to your own devices at critical points when you got out there or did the add-on lessons help to cover up the patches?

Have you found classroom management much of a problem yourself?

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it. Wondering what sort of "what if?" questions you have in mind here... is it in relation to the teaching methods, or classroom situations, or something else?

That´s interesting. My concern was that there might not be enough grammar or practical tools, such as games, in these less intensive courses. So it´s good to hear the contrary! Certainly though, from what I´ve read, in somewhere like China, for example, it seems as if Chinese teachers handle the technical aspects of the language while the native speaker is simply required to help students with speaking and listening skills. And this seems to be the case in both public and private schools.

Thanks. i to i sounds like what I´m looking for alright. Even though I already have an English degree (it was a good while back - in the mid nineties), I have no more knowledge of the grammatical aspects of the language than the average graduate. If I go for it, the degree in English should help my chances of securing a good enough post while i to i would help with the practical preparation.

As was discussed earlier in the thread, the CELTA / CELT courses are quite expensive and means you are committed before even testing the waters. Also, as was also mentioned, they are quite intimidating in approach (particularly the CELTA).

The what if questions would have been about classroom management, teaching in general, techniques, pretty much everything if it came to mind at the time. As I said, I was new to it all so was pretty much blank at the time.

The style of teaching among native speaker teachers and non-native speaker teachers varies from school to school. I have experienced co-teachers who section off the lesson plan into 'my part' and 'your part' meaning collaborative teaching is greatly reduced. I always stayed in the class to monitor the students or assist with the ones that had problems while my co-teacher was teaching. Some would leave when I started teaching my part, one would cite 'oh I am so busy with paperwork today' and disappear for hours leaving me to teach on my own. Generally, I have no trouble in teaching on my own but would like to have somebody near by for young kids. Older kids or adults are naturally fine for me.

A certificate program looks good for you. You can also read up on techniques and teaching methods online or in the library before you start. That way you would not be totally dropped in the deep end in class. Fail to prepare and all that.

LiK, did the initial lack of detail you mentioned mean that you were left to your own devices at critical points when you got out there or did the add-on lessons help to cover up the patches?

Have you found classroom management much of a problem yourself?

Yes, I was left pretty much to my own devices in the private schools. I was given the textbook and introduced to the class and that was it. Public schools already had a English teacher, who was Korean and I taught class with them for the most part. That was both helpful and a hindrance depending on their style of teaching, openness, willingness to talk about different aspects of the lesson plan and creativity. One co-teacher wanted me to come up with the idea for the main activity (for the production part of a typical PPP cycle) for the lesson everyday and would for about 90% of the time reject my idea and go with the idea in the teacher's book. It was a power thing I recon but she left after 4 months. If you have a good co-teacher then you will not need to refer to lesson plans or extra activities (be it from the course book or Internet, etc) but in the majority of cases you will be expected to teach on your own at some point so it is best to have a few ideas up to sleeve to pull out at a moment's notice.

I found classroom management to be problematic with very young learners, mostly under the age of 10. They can be very excited around somebody new and it takes a great deal of effort to channel that energy into learning English. Also, I did not know Korean at the time so that was going to leave me open to problems. Once I learned some words, mainly swear words then I could manage a lot more effectively. Even though you only speak a couple of words, students, especially kids start to believe that you can understand a lot more and will be more cautious about using bad language around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 moxicano

Hey guys,

I did an I to I course and I went to Milan, Italy and I've been teaching English for over a year now (currently teaching at a language school called the British Institutes). Alls going well but next year I'd like to teach in an international school either here in Milan or in Spain. Problem is, I think you must have various qualifications such a state teaching certificate (hdip in Ireland) and have IB qualifications.
    I have a degree in English and History from UCD but it is only a 2.2- is this insufficient to get into a hdip course? Also, how much is the course?

I would be very grateful if someone could help me out.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scoogie

I was looking at The International TEFL College of Ireland - they award a Graded Teaching Certificate in T.E.F.L, does anyone know is this accreditation any good? It doesn't seem to be CELT/ CELTA...

moxicano wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I did an I to I course and I went to Milan, Italy and I've been teaching English for over a year now (currently teaching at a language school called the British Institutes). Alls going well but next year I'd like to teach in an international school either here in Milan or in Spain. Problem is, I think you must have various qualifications such a state teaching certificate (hdip in Ireland) and have IB qualifications.
    I have a degree in English and History from UCD but it is only a 2.2- is this insufficient to get into a hdip course? Also, how much is the course?

I would be very grateful if someone could help me out.

Cheers

AFAIK, a 2:2 should be more than enough to get into a H Dip.

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=&pcategory=10900&ecategory=19312&sectionpage=12251&language=EN&link=link001&page=1&doc=16914

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Well everyone, I'm looking to head to South Korea to teach english but am wondering what course to do. I have a BA degree and am planning on doing an online tefl course as I don't want to splash out so much for the CELT courses. Is i-to-i a reputable site to use to do TEFL courses through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Hey guys, first of all cheers for giving me twenty pages of good information to sift through, it answered a lot of my questions. I do however have a few more if you would be so kind as to indulge me.

First of all il give you a bit of a background on my situation. Im twenty two years old and without a degree(Although I did spend two years studying English and New Media at U.L.). For the last year I was living in Germany and was even offered an interview for a language teaching school there, now at the time I didnt take it because I had already found a job, but it did put the thought of English language teaching into my head.

Im currently planning to head to Austria in the next few months(Vienna to be precise) and I was thinking about doing a TEFL/TESL/CELTA before I head over. Right now I have three options before me and they are as follows:

1. I to I TEFL course (140 hours) http://www.teflireland.com/tefl-courses/140-hour-combined-course/
    Im a bit weary of this one due to its half online half offline structure. Its price is attracting me towards it but I would see it more as a taste which I can later build on. Im also not quite sure exactly what qualification(if any) I would receive after completing the course.

2. TESOL course with Atlantic School of English and active leisure http://www.atlantic-english.com/courses/teacher-training-cert-tesol/
    This one im not really sure about, I have never heard of this college before in my life but they are the only TESOL certified institute in Ireland apparently. Either way 1500 euro is a lot of cash to sink in, would I be better of with a celta?

3. Celta with UCC http://www.ucc.ie/en/esol/teach-train/
    Some people may tell me its a no brainer and to go with the celta. Its a recognized certificate from a recognized institution. However as I do not have a degree, what worth does a celta have for me? What piece of paper will I actually receive upon completing this course, and is it really worth it? Also if I were to pick up a celta now, and ended up with an English Degree later could I upgrade my celta?

So guys which option would you pick if you were in my situation? Im utterly confused here.

I should probably note that I do not wish to teach English as a career. I want to use the next year to save for college in the Netherlands and I think that English language teaching would be a good way to do that.

Patricide wrote: »
    Hey guys, first of all cheers for giving me twenty pages of good information to sift through, it answered a lot of my questions. I do however have a few more if you would be so kind as to indulge me.

First of all il give you a bit of a background on my situation. Im twenty two years old and without a degree(Although I did spend two years studying English and New Media at U.L.). For the last year I was living in Germany and was even offered an interview for a language teaching school there, now at the time I didnt take it because I had already found a job, but it did put the thought of English language teaching into my head.

Im currently planning to head to Austria in the next few months(Vienna to be precise) and I was thinking about doing a TEFL/TESL/CELTA before I head over. Right now I have three options before me and they are as follows:

1. I to I TEFL course (140 hours) http://www.teflireland.com/tefl-courses/140-hour-combined-course/
    Im a bit weary of this one due to its half online half offline structure. Its price is attracting me towards it but I would see it more as a taste which I can later build on. Im also not quite sure exactly what qualification(if any) I would receive after completing the course.

2. TESOL course with Atlantic School of English and active leisure http://www.atlantic-english.com/courses/teacher-training-cert-tesol/
    This one im not really sure about, I have never heard of this college before in my life but they are the only TESOL certified institute in Ireland apparently. Either way 1500 euro is a lot of cash to sink in, would I be better of with a celta?

3. Celta with UCC http://www.ucc.ie/en/esol/teach-train/
    Some people may tell me its a no brainer and to go with the celta. Its a recognized certificate from a recognized institution. However as I do not have a degree, what worth does a celta have for me? What piece of paper will I actually receive upon completing this course, and is it really worth it? Also if I were to pick up a celta now, and ended up with an English Degree later could I upgrade my celta?

So guys which option would you pick if you were in my situation? Im utterly confused here.

I should probably note that I do not wish to teach English as a career. I want to use the next year to save for college in the Netherlands and I think that English language teaching would be a good way to do that.

The CELTA is the most internationally recognised. Many places will demand a degree and CELTA or its equivalents. Some places, such as South Korea and China, only accept those with a degree. Much of the rest of the world is more flexible. For example, in Eastern Europe the emphasis is primarily on being a native speaker. Some of these latter places will accept the online version of TEFL. I believe it should be possible to get work in Germany at least without either the degree or the TEFL. I know someone who was teaching for a year in Germany part time and has neither and mentioned that there are plenty of opportunities there.

I considered doing the i to i but, in the end, decided that it would be a waste. Indeed I got offered a job (which later fell through for different reasons) without it. The people offering were just very anxious for a native speaker.

The comments on the i to i 'infomercial' review here I found helpful:

http://www.teflcoursereview.com/i-to-i-tefl/

I don't know much about TESOL but it appears regularly on ads as a requirement so I imagine it's fairly highly esteemed, but a google or wiki search should confirm that.

• Advertisement

Well everyone, I'm looking to head to South Korea to teach english but am wondering what course to do. I have a BA degree and am planning on doing an online tefl course as I don't want to splash out so much for the CELT courses. Is i-to-i a reputable site to use to do TEFL courses through?

My impression is that, although it is cheap, it still probably isn't worth the money. See above comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

The CELTA is the most internationally recognised. Many places will demand a degree and CELTA or its equivalents. Some places, such as South Korea and China, only accept those with a degree. Much of the rest of the world is more flexible. For example, in Eastern Europe the emphasis is primarily on being a native speaker. Some of these latter places will accept the online version of TEFL. I believe it should be possible to get work in Germany at least without either the degree or the TEFL. I know someone who was teaching for a year in Germany part time and has neither and mentioned that there are plenty of opportunities there.

I considered doing the i to i but, in the end, decided that it would be a waste. Indeed I got offered a job (which later fell through for different reasons) without it. The people offering were just very anxious for a native speaker.

The comments on the i to i 'infomercial' review here I found helpful:

http://www.teflcoursereview.com/i-to-i-tefl/

I don't know much about TESOL but it appears regularly on ads as a requirement so I imagine it's fairly highly esteemed, but a google or wiki search should confirm that.
    Yeah, im actually going to Austria(im just back from Germany) but id imagine the same points would apply?

Where did you head off to where you were offered a job with no qualification?

Also do you have any advice on where I can look for TEFL type jobs in a selected area?

Thanks.

Patricide wrote: »
    Yeah, im actually going to Austria(im just back from Germany) but id imagine the same points would apply?

Where did you head off to where you were offered a job with no qualification?

Also do you have any advice on where I can look for TEFL type jobs in a selected area?

Thanks.

I assume so as regards Austria. I was going to write 'Germany and Austria' but only know of southern Germany for certain.

I myself was going to go to Eastern Europe. (Still not quite sure what happened but I suspect they wanted someone more convenient to themselves as it involved bringing and accommodating both myself and my wife).

There are certainly opportunities there- Poland, for example, is constantly on the look out for native speakers- the salaries though low by western European standards are much higher than what other teachers are paid. Also the cost of living is much lower. This means that, in practical terms, you are getting more than you would for most equivalent jobs here in Ireland.

The best places to search are on online job sites within the country itself; this bypasses the TEFL agents, who profit by placing you in positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 rentboy

Just wondering can anybody please help and advise me on what are the best regarded and intensive/comprehensive T.E.F.L courses that can be done in Dublin. I do not have a degree and am 27. I am well educated though and would like to teach in either France or Spain. Thank you for any advice whatsoever. Note, I am thinking of doing the 450 euro month long weekend course by Merrion Square in the 'International TEFL College of Ireland'. It is 9-5 Saturdays and Sundays for a month. Is this sufficient for teaching in say Spain, France, Germany, Czech Rep., Austria etc? for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭The Black Pearl

rentboy wrote: »
    Just wondering can anybody please help and advise me on what are the best regarded and intensive/comprehensive T.E.F.L courses that can be done in Dublin. I do not have a degree and am 27. I am well educated though and would like to teach in either France or Spain. Thank you for any advice whatsoever. Note, I am thinking of doing the 450 euro month long weekend course by Merrion Square in the 'International TEFL College of Ireland'. It is 9-5 Saturdays and Sundays for a month. Is this sufficient for teaching in say Spain, France, Germany, Czech Rep., Austria etc? for a year.

Identical situation to this one. Ive heard the above course would be enough to secure a job is Lisbon although Im a little unsure personally....any thoughts?

Hi there 'The Black Pearl',

Cheers for your reply. Yeah you see I do think that the course in Westland Row I mentioned above is actually fine. I am just a bit fussy as I want to get the best possible TEFL considering I don't yet have a degree. My friend actually done this month long weekend course in ITCI and he said that it is actually fine. My only concern is how will it be viewed abroad and will its status reflect pay etc.

I have been doing a bit of research on other alternatives and I stumbled upon what I believe to be the best course to do and you do not necessarily need a degree. It just means you cannot teach in Ireland. It is a CELT course and a good few schools around Dublin offer these courses which cost approximately €1,000 or a bit extra. This is probably what I will do even though it is quite pricey. These courses are Internationally recognised and are ACELS approved. Here is the link to the ACELS site which gives a list of all the legit schools and courses in Ireland.

http://acels.ie.somedomain.ie/Search.aspx?location=Dublin

(I, myself, might do the one in The Swan School on Grafton Street or the one in Bray.)

Note also that I am not sure that all of these schools offer teacher training courses and that I think when doing such courses without actually holding a degree you must sign a waiver precluding you from working in Ireland whilst allowing you to work abroad. As far as I can surmise, this is the best possible avenue for our wee 'situation'! I hope this helps you. Feel free to ask anymore questions. Cheers.

Identical situation to this one. Ive heard the above course would be enough to secure a job is Lisbon although Im a little unsure personally....any thoughts?

See what you think of this link.

http://learnenglishireland-swan.com/Teacher%20Training.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm off to do a CELT course with Dublin School of English. It's 980 for the full and part time ones. My best friend who is in Switzerland at the moment did this around November time and basically got a job immediately :)

I'm starting my course on the 28th of March and it runs until the 12th of May roughly, about 6 weeks. 6.00 till 9.30 at night mon to Thurs and 10-4ish on Saturday.

I'm off to do a CELT course with Dublin School of English. It's 980 for the full and part time ones. My best friend who is in Switzerland at the moment did this around November time and basically got a job immediately :)

I'm starting my course on the 28th of March and it runs until the 12th of May roughly, about 6 weeks. 6.00 till 9.30 at night mon to Thurs and 10-4ish on Saturday.

Hi Squeaky Duck,

That sounds brilliant, thanks for the heads up. I might look into that myself actually. Does it matter if you have a degree or not?

Thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I think you would have a degree in general or the likes. Especially if you wanted to teach around the world.

I have a BA in History and English and a MA in English as well.

I would get on to DSE quickly to see if you can get a place for the 28th of March, 200e deposit and the remainder 2 weeks before to course. They had me take a little test to see that I could actually speak the language (it was really hard, stuff you don't learn in school and college) but I got a place! :) They are really nice in there too! :)

Advertisement