Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL/CELTA/CELT answers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

rentboy wrote: »
    Hey everybody,

For anybody that has successfully completed the CELTA course in International House In Dublin, I was wondering roughly how long it takes from the day you finish the course, to the day you actually physically get your CELTA certificate? I only ask as I want to be heading off to job hunt ( mainland Europe ) as soon as I finish the course, in August but more realistically September! Thanks for your help.

rb

Hey,
    I did it at IH Belfast, but thought this info might be of some use to you anyway. Finished on Friday, got a letter with my interim assessment grade and number of hours attended on the Monday. The certificate followed about 3 weeks later. I think you can use the letter while waiting on the certificate if you want to start job hunting. You should even have a look out for jobs while on the course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 rentboy

Hey,
    I did it at IH Belfast, but thought this info might be of some use to you anyway. Finished on Friday, got a letter with my interim assessment grade and number of hours attended on the Monday. The certificate followed about 3 weeks later. I think you can use the letter while waiting on the certificate if you want to start job hunting. You should even have a look out for jobs while on the course!

Thanks a million catweasel10, really appreciate that. Was just wondering what your initial interview for IH was like, if you had one, of course? I will be called for one soon and am really hoping to get onto the course and was wondering what the interview is like and what they ask.

Thanks again for your reply.

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

I will be called for one soon and am really hoping to get onto the course and was wondering what the interview is like and what they ask.

From what I can remember, it was about 1/2 hour max. They gave me a short grammar "test" to complete and left me alone for a while. Most of the questions were along the lines of what is in the pre-course task (the never checked any of that btw) so just go through that and you'll be fine.

It was more about them telling me how time consuming the course is....no life for 4 weeks etc. and ensuring that the trainees realise what's ahead. It might vary depeding on who interviews you. The person that I dealt with was fine, but a couple of other trainees had a less positive experience with the same person....a bit rude. I think that might have been because they were young and the interviewer tended to be a bit bossy....didn't try that with an oul fella like me;)

They want you as much as you want them, imo. Demonstrate some basic competence of grammar and a bit of enthusiasm and you'll be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cerberos

Can anyone say in their opinion:
    which is the biggest EFL school in Dublin,
    the most prestigious,
    the best,
    the best for trainer courses
    the best for providing work options afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

I hope to travel in the very near future. I would like the option to teach English perhaps however I am not sure if my qualifications can be used/ even recognised.
    Hopefully someone can shed some light...

I am a fully qualified primary school teacher (B.Ed Hons) of three years.
    Before leaving college I did a week long TEFL course in the college and got an ACELS Preparatory TEFL Qualification for State Qualified Teachers. (I have not done the supervised teaching component, I have until the summer to do it...should I do it even?)
    My first teaching post was as an EAL teacher so I have plenty of experience in this area. Also as a mainstream class teacher I have taught children who have English as a second language.

Do you think the above is enough to get me a job abroad? Or should I do CELT or CELTA etc?

Thanking you for taking the time to read this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,318 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hi

I signed up to the 120 hour course and have now completed the 60 hour online course part. They say that I now entitled to get certificate, but I still have the rest of the course to complete.

Just want to know can i now look for jobs even with just this section done and is this the most important section that I have completed?

Thanks all

Thanks a million catweasel10, really appreciate that. Was just wondering what your initial interview for IH was like, if you had one, of course? I will be called for one soon and am really hoping to get onto the course and was wondering what the interview is like and what they ask.

Thanks again for your reply.

rb
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I was given a pre-interview task before I had the interview and had to e-mail it back before being given an interview date/time. It wasn't too different from the pre-course assignment, just much shorter. It seems to be designed to get you thinking about the areas covered in the course, like how to explain what 'a dark horse' is, or identify and name different tenses. There was also a section on why you want to do the course. I'm not sure if Dublin have the same interview style as Belfast, but it really isn't anything to worry about. The interview was grand and the DoS was absolutely lovely and put me at ease immediately. She went through my answers for the pre-interview task, and we had a chat about the course and where you go after it. Basically, I think the interview is designed to let you know how demanding the course is, and that you'll have to dedicate most of your waking hours to it for the four weeks. Some people think that they can work and do the course at the same time- it would be almost impossible! If you don't have someone to look after practical stuff, like having meals ready, during the course, my advice would be to freeze a load of meals. I know it sounds silly, but when you're zonked after a day in school and have an assignment or a lesson plan to prepare, it makes a huge difference to your stress levels. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info, and best of luck! It's a lot of work in a short space of time, but it can be good craic.

Just saw that the question had already been answered! Oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Dam i'm finding this all quite confusing.

could anyone that knows tell me what the main difference qualification and recognition wise with these courses?

Is the main difference just different names for basically the same thing?

so if I done the celt 160 hour course in dun laoghaire would that be recognised in other countries as a good qualification?

or are one of the other ones better?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

wonton wrote: »
    Dam i'm finding this all quite confusing.

could anyone that knows tell me what the main difference qualification and recognition wise with these courses?

Is the main difference just different names for basically the same thing?

so if I done the celt 160 hour course in dun laoghaire would that be recognised in other countries as a good qualification?

or are one of the other ones better?

The CELTA and CELT courses are very similar, but the CELTA is more recognised internationally.

Wonton,

As far as I know, the CELT is fairly similar to the CELTA content wise. The CELTA is the better known of the two, so if you did the CELT, you may have to explain the qualification to prospective employers. The main difference, from what I've gathered, is that the awarding bodies are different.

• Advertisement

if you did the CELT, you may have to explain the qualification to prospective employers.

That's if you even get that far! A lot of places abroad won't even consider you unless you have a CELTA. Especially in Australia and some parts of Europe and Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

E.E.T wrote: »
    I hope to travel in the very near future. I would like the option to teach English perhaps however I am not sure if my qualifications can be used/ even recognised.
    Hopefully someone can shed some light...

Before leaving college I did a week long TEFL course in the college and got an ACELS Preparatory TEFL Qualification for State Qualified Teachers. (I have not done the supervised teaching component, I have until the summer to do it...should I do it even?)
    My first teaching post was as an EAL teacher so I have plenty of experience in this area. Also as a mainstream class teacher I have taught children who have English as a second language.

Do you think the above is enough to get me a job abroad? Or should I do CELT or CELTA etc?

Bump! Anyone have any ideas?

Bump! Anyone have any ideas?

I know a few qualified teachers who taught abroad without a CELTA, but this was a few years ago. I think it might depend on the school. Maybe you could send out a few CVs to test the waters?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

I think you're more than qualified. As a licenced teacher, you should easily be able to secure a job teaching at an International School (schools in foreign countries that educate locals and immigrants through English), so you wouldn't necessarily have to just consider TEFL.

If you would prefer to just teach English, then you're still in a good position I think. You have your teaching licence and some experience which would get you a job in a flash in Korea, probably slightly better paid with your credentials. Here in Korea, all you need is a degree really for a basic job so you could get better or even look in other countries. Your B.Ed places you well ahead of 95% of TEFLers out there, so exploit it.

If the supervised teaching component of your ACELS cert is all you have left to do for the full qualification, then I say do it. Then you have everthing you need for teaching abroad; degree (and an Education degree at that), genuine classroom experience and a good quality cert with observed teaching practice (a stipulation for most of the better TEFL jobs out there).

So you're in a great position overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

You've got a good lot of information already. Some prospective language schools in Europe would take you over someone unqualified but someone with a full CELTA/CELT would be taken ahead of you - especially for dealing with adults or business English.

PS I'm personally jealous of your breadth of experience btw, it's just that in non-English speaking countries here isn't much EAL and places aiming at the business market may see experience with kids as a disadvantage in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mossanova

Thanks squeakyduck.

Im currently undecided between the CELTA course in International House and the CELT course in DSE.

There is a considerable difference in price, wondering if the extra 700euro would be worth it with the CELTA. In terms of getting a job in Ireland for a while and then abroad.

Both are held in August so that is good for me!

2 friends of mine did the CELT course and are now teaching abroad, I'm pretty sure they did the course in Bray, if that's any use? here is there link, http://www.languagecollegeireland.com/tefl-training.html
    best of luck with the degree, hope this helps

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the late notice but have an interview coming up for International House Dublin, CELTA course. That really cheap and affordable one ;) Was just wondering can anybody give me some last minute tips, anything whatsoever. The receptionist stated that it would last for approximately an hour.

Many Thanks,
    rb.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roisin24

Can anyone tell me if you can get the Back To Education Allowance while doing a full-time 4 week CELT course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Seamo87

Has anyone done the CELT course in the Cork Language Centre http://www.corklanguagecentre.ie/ ?

If so, could you just tell me if it's any good/worthwhile? Are they a good provider of the CELT course.

Thanks in advance...

• Advertisement

Hey,

Does anybody know if Social Welfare recognize/acknowledge the CELTA course in International House? Not 'do they fund it', rather, can one still be in receipt of the dole whilst doing the course? Grateful if anybody could shed a little light on this concern.

Thanks a million,
    RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Hey all,

Am thinking of doing A TEFL course, both for travelling, and because it will put some meat on my CV, but am undecided between the CELT and the CELTA options. There's a cost difference of almost €800 between them, which is a fair amount, but I'd pay it no problem if I thought there was any extra prestige/recognition inherent in the latter. I don't intend TEFL as a career; rather as something I can turn to now and then, but I don't want a situation where I lose out to other applicants because they have CELTA qualifications. So is there really a qualitative difference between the two, and is it worth stumping up almost a grand extra?

Also, have people taught in Europe, particularly France, and if so, what was it like?

Thanks.

A CELTA will give you more options, and usually better pay. If you can afford the extra, I'd say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭simonsez

cloneslad wrote: »
    A lot of people replied to that post in the korea thread, but for those who don't go into that thread, let me give you a brief synopsis.

People like to whinge.

People like to blog.

Join them together and you get a whinging blog by someone who never should have left their hometown.

i agree. however south korea can be much tougher than japan or china. speaking from experience.
    with south korea it is best to contact previous teachers and take note of tangible issues like living arrangements, contract hours and payment. anything else is whinge. ignore things like 'oh my students were noisy , my room was not a certain shade of blue, sometimes the weather was cold and sometimes it was hot blah blah etc etc.

ss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scoogie

Are CELTA Courses ACELS accredited?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nutshell84

KevinDublin
    thankyou for that information but i have one further question, i cant find anyone else to answer it
    i am about to pay & start a CELT course here in Dublin BUT ive read that without a Degree i must sign a "waiver" it does not state exactly what this is but from my reading it seems it STOPS me being able to look for work in ireland!!!
    so, if this is the case then i might as well pay less for the i-to-i TEFL course because i cant teach in ireland anyway, or am i incorrect? i hope i am wrong as this seriously narrows my chances...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

nutshell84 wrote: »
    KevinDublin
    thankyou for that information but i have one further question, i cant find anyone else to answer it
    i am about to pay & start a CELT course here in Dublin BUT ive read that without a Degree i must sign a "waiver" it does not state exactly what this is but from my reading it seems it STOPS me being able to look for work in ireland!!!
    so, if this is the case then i might as well pay less for the i-to-i TEFL course because i cant teach in ireland anyway, or am i incorrect? i hope i am wrong as this seriously narrows my chances...

I'm curious about this also, if anyone's got any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

nutshell84 wrote: »
    KevinDublin
    The I to I wont be recognised in a lot places abroad, plus it will cut your chances if your going up against anyone with a celta-celt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 projectvv

Hi, does anyone know is it better to do a CELT or CELTA for the middle east. As people have noted, there is about 700 in the difference in price? obviously UK is better recognised than Ireland in these places so is this the price we pay for our independence??
    also anyone know about the english academy in O Connell st who do the CELTA is it
    good?? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Just to chime in hear as someone who did a CELT course and is now teaching successful abroad (Switzerland)..

The CELT is a very good qualification and equal in quality to the CELTA. Any school worth working for should be able to recognise this. Most schools will ask for 'CELTA or equivalent'. The extra you pay for the CELTA course is, from what I gather, due to the fees Cambridge impose on institute that offer the course. Like many things in life price does not equal quality. A glance thorough the syllabi for the two course will so you how similar they are.

Furthermore, as CELT and CELTA sounds so similar, it often doesn't even register with schools that there is a difference. Don't bother highlighting the difference on your CV. If they do query it with you, simply tell them it's the Irish version of the CELTA as award by the Irish Dept of Education.

Good luck with the job applications!

Advertisement