Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL/CELTA/CELT answers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

sweetthing wrote: »
    Is that CELT only, or do they also accept the CELTA?

When you do the CELTA you can pay an optional extra €40 euro to have your degree checked and the administration done to issue you with a CELT as well. Even though they're essentially the same thing I went for it because, let's be honest, how often do you get a chance to 'buy' a genuine qualification so easily? :p

Most schools in South East Asia would look at a CELT and think it was such a bad photoshop, they forgot the A.. Good for Ireland I suppose though?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

wezmc1985 wrote: »
    hi, just wondering about your background. What education have you done to secure a job teaching English in Thailand? i have two years done in an IT and also plenty of first-aid training, i am looking into doing a TEFL course where i am from and going teaching somewhere, (anywhere!) and looking for advice...
    If i do the tefl course, can i just start applying for jobs and expect to get hired?
    Was it all done via the internet?
    Thanks for any information you can help me with

Yes, all done via the web.
    Not sure where you're thinking of going but in terms of Thailand, I've been told that the success rate for job applications is much higher for those that are already in the country at the time of applying. If applying before you go then an agency might be your only choice. I applied to AYC, heard reasonably good things about them so I'll take the risk, need some experience under my belt.

Education: Arts degree, Lib & Info Studies/History (Major/Minor)
    Diploma in Social Science / Cert in Journalism
    140 hour TEFL online with 2 days of in-class modules including teaching practice.
    Spent 10 years working in a multinational in terms of work experience.

Jobs: I sent off an email to an agency that was advertised on the i to i TEFL jobs board, they replied and asked for a copy of my degree, passport, CV with colour photo, and TEFL cert. Got offered a job two days later, signed the contract and booked the flight. One catch tho, I can nominate a region I want to work in but won't know the exact location until closer to the time. The agency bascially do the hiring, short-list the applicants and then the schools divide them up between themselves, so I could end up anywhere in that region really. I don't mind as I'm looking for some experience plus I know Thailand quite well, been there a good few times before.

Ajarn.com and Thailandteaching.asia have great info for Thailand, a lot of stuff on there that would help you no matter where you end up really.

eslcafe.com has also been mentioned to me, haven't had a chance to look at it tho.

esljobfeed.com looks pretty good too

englishteacherx.com is good for laugh, but there's plenty to be learned on there also, a little more informal in tone (which I kinda like, less BS)

For general info and insights I like this guy's blog:
    teachingenglishinaforeignland.blogspot.ie

Would you consider doing the TEFL over there and going from there? I'm thinking about doing a CELTA course over there at a later stage - I've been looking at ECC, they seem reasonably priced. A CELTA would definitely have more sway than an online TEFL cert: eccthai.com/training

Hope this helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Had my interview for the CELT course in CES starting in March.
    They explained how intensive the 4 weeks would be and the structure of it etc, very interesting.

Excited to get started now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wezmc1985

JayC5,

Yeah that's my issue, no degree but would be really interested in this. I have looked a little into the doing a course over there alright, i might have more of a think about that... I still have a lot to get through in terms of finding things out but would love to go and do it... I wouldn't like to go all the way to do the course and have no job either when I could apply from here and do a course locally, but as you said, being in the country probably helps as well... My work experience isn't all that relevant to this either, primarily Retail and IT.

That TEFL course you have done is the one that I was looking to do... There is one on next weekend locally so I might call up and try get more useful information and advice from tutors...

Thanks for the response anyway, I appreciate it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Bicycle wrote: »
    Hi everyone and thanks for your help regarding the above.

I rang the Galway Cultural Institute this afternoon and they told me that the exams cost €170 or thereabouts each. There are 3 exams to be completed running to approximately €510, making the course a lot more expensive than one was initially lead to believe. And they couldn't guarantee me that I would be able to work in Ireland either. They said some schools might accept the qualification and others might not.

I have a 7 day cooling off period which ends tomorrow. I'm giving serious consideration to ending my agreement.

Hi Bicycle, not sure if you ended your agreement or not, but just to let you know that County Dublin VEC run the module exams at €50 each.

The next TKT test is May 30th with registration deadline of April 8th.

wezmc1985 wrote: »
    JayC5,

Yeah that's my issue, no degree but would be really interested in this. I have looked a little into the doing a course over there alright, i might have more of a think about that... I still have a lot to get through in terms of finding things out but would love to go and do it... I wouldn't like to go all the way to do the course and have no job either when I could apply from here and do a course locally, but as you said, being in the country probably helps as well... My work experience isn't all that relevant to this either, primarily Retail and IT.

That TEFL course you have done is the one that I was looking to do... There is one on next weekend locally so I might call up and try get more useful information and advice from tutors...

Thanks for the response anyway, I appreciate it...

No problem.

From what I've heard you can get work there without a degree if you have a TEFL cert, but you will be working under the table as you won't get a work permit. So, at any stage you could be asked to leave the country if they run a spot-check on the school - I've heard of this happening also. Plus you'll have to do a visa run every few months to extend your tourist visa. A lot of hassle by the sounds of it, but if you're only looking for a few months work you'd probably get away with it - especially if you were out in the sticks. Expect low pay though and F all rights, not that you'll have those anyway in Thailand.

Oh and if you stay there you'll never be allowed own a property (I don't know anything about starting your own business...). I think they'll allow you an apartment and that's it. If you marry you can buy a house in your wife's name but I'd exercise extreme caution with this choice, if you don't know why then I recommend you do some research on Thailand before you go and read up on some of the 'strange' stories - Stickmanbangkok.com is a good starting point, he's also got a good article on teaching english on his site too, covers most of the basic info you'll need.

However, to completely contradict what I've just said:

This is Thailand we are talking about, a country of organised chaos. Nothing is ever as it seems and the rules appear to be 'makey-uppy' at the best of times. Do some research and if it seems doable I'd say go for it - what's the worst that can happen other than being asked to leave, if so just pop next door and work in Cambodia ;) Plus, you won't be on your own, there's plenty of people working unofficially over there, just make sure that you do a good job for the kid's sake if you do end up teaching. While it'll be a paid holiday for you, it's their education you're undermining if you don't man up and do the job you're paid to do. Capiche?

I'm sure you can work in Cambodia without a degree, this wouldn't be a bad option as you'll only be a one hour flight away from Bangkok or a few hours by bus which is pretty cheap, around a tenner or so, maybe even less. I'd check out Phnom Penh if you're interested, not a bad spot and very cheap. If it's the experience you're after and a different lifestyle you would do worse than spending a few months there, a good few westerners floating around also. Good night-life, eye-catching lassies and cheap food. Beats living in the Celtic Dodo by a long shot.

I wouldn't let not having a degree put me off to be honest - if you're out of work in Ireland take the leap and expose yourself to the unknown - ya got nothing to lose fella, take a look at the links below. If I were you I'd hit China or Costa Rica; I can't help you out with any info on these two but I have been to Cambodia and really enjoyed it. Don't expect 'Imperial Leather' soap in the jacks and you'll do just fine! :D

According to their reply in the comments of this article you can teach without a degree (in Thailand) easily, no harm in dropping them an email, maybe even doing your TEFL with them if they have a branch based there - some companies guarantee a job placement if you do your cert with them, might be just what you need!

No degree, no problem

Country chart for teaching ESL

Also, you say that you're experience isn't relevant...? - judging by your username I assume you are in your late twenties? So, you are young, presumably white? (I ask this as Thais are a bit racist to non-white teachers, allegedly... filipino teachers get half what caucasians get) you've been brought up in the affluent western world, you speak fluent English and you have work experience, which also includes IT experience. You have a lot of things going for you there already, especially with the IT aspect. I've seen teachers in my day that couldn't operate a TV/video setup... Are there any other elements that you could use to sell yourself? - did you ever work with kids, sports camps etc? Business experience, such as internships? From what I've read there's a big push to standardise English in South East Asia at the moment or at least up the pace (Thailand are the lowest ranking in terms of English - see here), something to do with the ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) blueprint. I don't know too much about it but it appears to be something similar to our EU with English set as the 'lingua franca' i.e. standard language of business. If anything this will create more openings for teachers over there.

I was talking to one guy on a forum recently that wasn't happy with the salary he got teaching in a local school, so he put on some smart threads, gathered up a few copies of his CV and went and visited all the established hotels in his area offering to teach the staff formal/business English. He got hired by a handful and doubled his money working the same hours and was essentially his own boss. Food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Up-n-atom! wrote: »
    I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in here to see if it will help - I did the DSE 4 week full-time course back in November (so I think I know your friend squeaky duck!). As the original post states, there's not that much difference between CELT and CELTA courses other than the Cambridge association with the latter. Having spoken to people on the course who also did the entry exam for a CELTA course, their opinion was that it was a bit harder than the one for the CELT course.

IMO the CELTA course might be the better option if you want to make a serious career out of tefl (because I get the impression it's slightly more indepth and geared towards teaching the Cambridge system). At the same time, the Cambridge system isn't as dominant as it used to be, and the qualification from the CELT course is more than adequate for jobs working in Ireland and abroad (and, in any case, there's nothing stopping you from persuing a long-term career using this once you get your foot in the door).

Since the course I'm finding it hard to get jobs here, since most of the schools are looking for people with experience rather than newbies. Most of the people from my class who have work in the area are working abroad. I'd say if your interested in working in Ireland, there should be tefl work in language camps in Ireland over the summer - there always seems to be a lack of teachers for these as the work is a bit tougher going than teaching adults in a classroom (which most experienced teachers are used to). Hope this helps!

Yes, very difficult to get any work in Ireland outside of work with the teenage groups in the Summer months. It really is a qualification to use when travelling abroad.

Btw, a friend failed the CELTA course last year in International House--was gutted and lost the fee of course--but passed the CELT course in Dublin,in some training school up near Dorset St

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Btw, a friend failed the CELTA course last year in International House--was gutted and lost the fee of course

Poor guy, was he offered a chance to re-take the course/assessments or was it a case of fail once and you're out?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

I'm starting a part time CELTA course with Kaplan in April. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any books stores that may stock TEFL books? I'm trying to find "Learning Teaching: A guidebook for English language teachers" by Jim Scrivener which is on our book list but I've been unsuccessful in finding it so far. I came across it on Amazon (where I'm getting some grammar books) but it was near £70 +PP which came to over €90 so I thought I'd try track it down over here to save a few quid.
    Any help or information with much much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 piddif

Anyone heading to Vietnam this year? I'm hoping to do CELTA in Hanoi around September. Flights are booked. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'm starting a part time CELTA course with Kaplan in April. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any books stores that may stock TEFL books? I'm trying to find "Learning Teaching: A guidebook for English language teachers" by Jim Scrivener which is on our book list but I've been unsuccessful in finding it so far. I came across it on Amazon (where I'm getting some grammar books) but it was near £70 +PP which came to over €90 so I thought I'd try track it down over here to save a few quid.
    Any help or information with much much appreciated.

There's definitely a bookshop on South Frederick Street that sells them and also one on Westland Row as far as I know. I'm assuming it's Dublin you're located?
    Good luck with the course.

There's definitely a bookshop on South Frederick Street that sells them and also one on Westland Row as far as I know. I'm assuming it's Dublin you're located?
    Good luck with the course.

Yes, I'm in Dublin. Typical that I leave out the most important piece of info!

Many thanks, I'll check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Hi,

What can I expect to be asked in the interview and exam? How can I prepare? I really want to get onto the course and I'm really nervous.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Hi,

What can I expect to be asked in the interview and exam? How can I prepare? I really want to get onto the course and I'm really nervous.

At my interview I was asked some questions like: Why I wanted to teach? What would I teach a group of adults in their first class? What problems might one face when teaching adults? There was a couple of other ones in there but nothing too tricky or surprising.
    I was asked three questions regrading grammar. The interviewer put two similar sentences in front of me and I had to describe how one was different from the other (that was the formula for all three questions)
    All three were based around tenses as far as I remember so I'd recommend reading over them.

When you say exam I'm guessing you mean the pre-interview task that the college said they'd send you?
    That's roughly five sections each covers a form of grammar e.g. tenses, verbs, pronunciation. Which might sound a little daunting but you can research your answers and you don't have to know it all, that's why you're looking to do the course! :)

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

At my interview I was asked some questions like: Why I wanted to teach? What would I teach a group of adults in their first class? What problems might one face when teaching adults? There was a couple of other ones in there but nothing too tricky or surprising.
    I was asked three questions regrading grammar. The interviewer put two similar sentences in front of me and I had to describe how one was different from the other (that was the formula for all three questions)
    All three were based around tenses as far as I remember so I'd recommend reading over them.

When you say exam I'm guessing you mean the pre-interview task that the college said they'd send you?
    That's roughly five sections each covers a form of grammar e.g. tenses, verbs, pronunciation. Which might sound a little daunting but you can research your answers and you don't have to know it all, that's why you're looking to do the course! :)

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that's great! No, I have just an hour to do the pre-interview task, just before my interview. I don't have the opportunity to take it home or do research on the spot so I need to prepare for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

Just came across this thread and had a quick scan through it. I've a fairly straight forward question. I'm finishing up an information technology related level 7 degree( ordinary bachelors) this May. Firstly, does this qualify me to get the correct Visa if I were to work in China for example?

Also, would my degree plus a 120 hour TEFL course be enough to achieve decent employment? It's not something I hope to do as a career. Just a year away.

Any input would be appreciated.

Started my 4 week CELT yesterday. Wow, so much information coming at me.
    Have my first teaching practice on Friday, nervous as hell, then another one on Monday and Wednesday.
    We were being taught how to plan lessons etc today.
    Teachers are absolutely excellent, we had a lesson on our first day whereby the teacher had us all communicating in Thai ...without her ever using a word of English. Her goal was to show how it feels for a learner of a foreign language...it worked.

I can really see how it's more beneficial to be learning in a 'in-class" environment as opposed to the online TEFL courses.
    Having to do homework too !!...hard getting back into that after 10 years on not doing it.

Enjoying it so far, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of doing TEFL, to do CELT instead, assuming they have the extra time and money.

I was suprised to hear though that out of the 16 people in my class, I was the only one looking to travel abroad. The rest all plan to teach English as a foreign language in Ireland (which you obviously need the CELT for)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Kinda need a quick answer, whats the cheapest company to send degrees with?

Cheers

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Started my 4 week CELT yesterday. Wow, so much information coming at me.
    Have my first teaching practice on Friday, nervous as hell, then another one on Monday and Wednesday.
    We were being taught how to plan lessons etc today.
    Teachers are absolutely excellent, we had a lesson on our first day whereby the teacher had us all communicating in Thai ...without her ever using a word of English. Her goal was to show how it feels for a learner of a foreign language...it worked.

I can really see how it's more beneficial to be learning in a 'in-class" environment as opposed to the online TEFL courses.
    Having to do homework too !!...hard getting back into that after 10 years on not doing it.

Enjoying it so far, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of doing TEFL, to do CELT instead, assuming they have the extra time and money.

I was suprised to hear though that out of the 16 people in my class, I was the only one looking to travel abroad. The rest all plan to teach English as a foreign language in Ireland (which you obviously need the CELT for)

Best of luck with the CELT Sean, I've been thinking about doing the CELTA myself in the future. Any chance you can give us a brief synopsis of the course, what you found difficult/useful/annoying etc when you get through it?

Cheers :D

• Advertisement

JayC5 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the CELT Sean, I've been thinking about doing the CELTA myself in the future. Any chance you can give us a brief synopsis of the course, what you found difficult/useful/annoying etc when you get through it?

Cheers :D

Well, First week and half done.
    It's pretty intensive.
    If you're unsure about grammar etc, don't worry, they teach you about it on the course....we've been given lessons on the tenses, modal verbs etc etc.

In fact, we had a lesson on Modal verbs on Monday, and then had a 2hr TP on Wednesday. I had never done Modal verbs in my life, as I went to an all Irish school, so was a bit nervous (TP = Teaching practice - you do 1 hr, your partner does the 2nd hour) whereby you had to teach them modal verbs.
    The first teacher had to introduce a topic, set up some activities...which would lead into the grammar, I'd take over, do the grammar, then reinforce through controlled and freer practice.

You are shown how to do all this and plan lessons etc . The course, as before is intensive, but definitely worth the money so far. I came out of the lesson with a real sense of accomplishment.

The lesson was given as a "free lesson" , school normally finishes at 1 or 2 for the students, and then free lessons are offered from 2-4pm for those who wan't to do more, which is where we teach for the first 6 TP's. Our daily schedule is 9-5 for the 4 weeks.
    The 7th TP will be in an actual morning class which they have paid for....so by the end you will have a total for 6hrs actual teaching practice (1+2 = 30mins, 3-7 =60 mins)

Today we analysed some grammar books, new activities to use, and did some practice and analysis of Whiteboard work for grammar presentations.

You are constantly taught how to elicit, drill etc.

My next TP will be a listening practice, I'm the first teacher this time, so I have to set up a general topic and elicit information related to the topic, play the CD for them to scan, see if they managed to guess what the topic CD was about, then go over it again in a more controlled practice for scanning. (I was the 2nd teacher in TP3 , so I had to do the grammar point after the first guy introduced the topic via a written passage on something)

There is also a lot of homework, but...you gotta commit yourself for 4 weeks, it's worth it.
    My class is quite diverse too....ranging from 22-63 yr olds, people of different professions and nationalities too, 16 in my class.
    So if you're unsure that you won't "fit in" ...don't be.

BTW, I am doing my course in CES Dublin on Dame Street. Can't recommend it enough.
    I'll keep you updated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Reminder if you would like to get a forum then you need to express interest here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056769316

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Robmeister2011

Hi guys, just finished my CELT course in the Bridge Mills in Galway about a week ago. They say there's an 8 or so week turnaround for certificates. My problem is that I've been offered a job in Thailand, but they need proof I've taken and finished the course. Does anyone know if there's a way to get digital proof from ACELS before the cert is issued??

Hi guys, just finished my CELT course in the Bridge Mills in Galway about a week ago. They say there's an 8 or so week turnaround for certificates. My problem is that I've been offered a job in Thailand, but they need proof I've taken and finished the course. Does anyone know if there's a way to get digital proof from ACELS before the cert is issued??

You could have your college write up a letter or draft containing results and confirmation that you've completed and passed the course ?
    Having them sign it and stamp it, or have it done on their watermarked paper ?

Sidenote : how did you get the job abroad or where did you look (websites etc) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Robmeister2011

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You could have your college write up a letter or draft containing results and confirmation that you've completed and passed the course ?
    Having them sign it and stamp it, or have it done on their watermarked paper ?

Sidenote : how did you get the job abroad or where did you look (websites etc) ?

Hi Sean,

I'm doing it through a crowd called LoveTEFL. There's also Gone2Korea who deal specifically with South Koreas EPIK programme. TeachAway are also excellent. If you're looking for cold, hard TEFL jobs though, Jobs.ie and TEFL.com are good.

I think I shall simply have to pursue ACELS on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Having read quite a few threads in this topic and researched a little I think CELT as opposed to CELTA, or even Trinity TESOL, is the way to go. Both are very similar from what I can make out the added plus being that CELT is much cheaper, in Galway from about €900, in Dublin from about €1000 and in Cork from about €1200. Guess you pay extra for da Cork charm like. CELTA might have the snob factor but CELT is just as good from what I can see. That said, for about a grand you can do CELTA in Wroclaw or Katowice in Poland (through Cactus TEFL or something - they're on the net), throw in about €250 for accommodation provided by the school. Cheap Wizz or Ryanair flights for about €100 rtn. Works out similar to Cork prices. Wroclaw's nice enough, was there in 2012, Katowice is a bit dreary and industrial but not too bad, taught English in a city near there years ago.

About 10 years ago I used http://tefl.com to find a job in Poland, had a phone interview, they were asking me about tenses and crap like that, didn't have a notion, got the job anyway. Poor, poor Poles. But the teaching method was called the Callan Method, a lazy way to teach English basically, a bit of a rip off for students I think, it teaches students to speak, and only to speak, "some" English through repetition, and it does your head in within a week........I stuck it for about a month. Vodka and repeatedly banging your head against the wall can help you get through it though. Left a bad impression of teaching English for me. But I think I probably just have the wrong impression as I never taught English in the "proper", structured way. So thinking, just thinking, of trying my hand at a CELT certification over the coming summer.

Thing is I don't graduate with a primary degree, a BA, until Jan 2014 (I study by distance) so not quite sure how that will work re: ACELS and potentially working in Ireland? Not sure how it works if you sign the "I Won't Teach in Ireland" waiver and then graduate a few months later, suppose you just inform ACELS (who never answer their phone!) and they register you or whatever? Anyway, unless you're considering CELTA in Poland (and many people would feel more comfortable studying at home than abroad), CELT is the way to go imho.

Btw, this is a list of schools in the Republic that have CELT courses http://acels.ie/SchoolList1.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kleine_schwein

I am doing a 140 hour Master Tefl course on www.TEFLINK.com at the moment and if I sit my TKT KAL exam will I be ok to teach abroad? (without doing the more expensive CELT course).

I know that some TEFL courses aren't regarded as being very good but once you have the Cambridge cert, you should find a job abroad right?

Quick answer would reaaally be appreciated as the deadline to register for the Cambridge TKT KAL exam I want to do is today at 4pm!!

Edit: Ok,well I've went and registered for the exam anyways!!. Would still appreciate anyone's advice on this teflink.com course. It is quite intense and I hope I'm not working my ar$e off for nothing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

This page I found gives a bit of clarity on what the difference between CELT and CELTA is, seems there isn't much really when it's all boiled down

http://www.selt.ie/tefl-course-dublin-celt-course-dublin-acels-approved/

• Registered Users Posts: 39 woodstock1708

I'm seriously considering doing a CELTA course and I am looking at the International House and The English Academy. I'm more swayed by the latter at the moment and was wondering if anyone has completed a CELTA course there? If so, would you recommend it?
    Also would anyone be able to tell me if I completed the CELTA course at either college could I apply for English teaching jobs here?
    Thanks.

You've probably already made your decision by now, but I did the CELTA course at International House Dublin in April 2011 and was really pleased with it.

I already had a lot of teaching experience and was doing it just to get a certification, but I learned a ton and came out a much better teacher four weeks later. Alison and Suzie were our tutors, but I know the other ones, Patricia in particular, are excellent as well.

The input sessions are in the morning, Monday - Friday, and in the afternoons you teach. If I remember correctly, I taught every third day, but I honestly can't remember now. Then there are assignments, which I found to be easy, but other people struggled with.

You need to put in a lot of time on this course, but it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Anyone looking to do some short term, small scale tefl work around South Dublin for the Summer, drop me a pm. There's a few positions going.

Mods I hope you don't have a problem with this.

Advertisement