Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boot of VW Golf Mk4 Jammed

Options
  • 12-04-2008 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys it's a 01 Golf (5 door) and the boot is shut now and the key isn't working on it, just rotates and doesn't catch to open it.
    I've got a replacement barrell from a dealer and went to get it fitted today by an independent mechanic. He wasn't able to do it since the boot wouldn't open meaning he couldn't remove the plastic panel to gain access to the lock barrel to replace it with the new one.
    He reckoned the only way he could do it was jimmy the boot :eek: which i wasn't going to allow or to cut out some plastic to gain access. I wasn't keen on that either so took it off him.
    He said the only other thing i could do is take it to a main dealer who might have something that could do it without the need to damage the plastic. Problem is i'd have to wait to get a slot in a dealers for ages, do i have any other options and will a dealer be able to pop it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Just went out into the rain and had a look at my boot.. so i hope your are v appreciative!!
    It looks to me like there is 2 small screws in the grab handles of the interior trim on the boot lid. Take these out and it is a matter of pullin the plastic off the bootlid. It looks like it is held in with the clips.
    Failing that just drill a hole somewhere opposite the look in the trim and grab the lock lever with a pliers.
    Is the central locking not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

you might want to check the pipe that goes to the rear window washer when replacing the lock. Its a common problem that this pipe comes off and causes the boot lock to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Thanks SW hope you didn't get too wet :-)
    I have taken those screws out but doesn't seem like i can remove the panel due to the fact that i can't lift the boot lid.
    I didn;t think i could open the boot without the key to be honest so not sure about the central locking question (i've just bought it)
    VP, yeah i've heard about that thing with the rear washer so will check it out
    thanks

got a hayes manual and still no luck not sure the panel will lift out even with those screws out

I'll see if i get finished at a reasonable time tommorow, if i can get off my boot lid panel.
    Think i hd 1 off before and it is just held in with clips

• Advertisement

Thanks SW, seems pretty stiff to me and didn't want to damage it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bob-GTI_1.8T

I have the same problem, intermitant. boot lid opens and closes, but does notactivate lock, via central locking or key turn. Also, when you slam close the boot lid, it don't catch? used too, with a bit of a flick to the lever on the door itself, but won't catch at all now. From memory, no windscreen wash came out this afternoon as i serviced the car and changed the rear wiper blade. got me pajamas on now, will check it first thing in the morning. any advice.... :)

Welcome to boards.

The pipe for the windscreen wash comes loose or breaks, not sure which, anyway the water that is supposed to go on your rear window goes all over your central locking mechanism instead.

You need to fix the leak and probably repair or replace wires/control units.

Mine leaks, havent got round to doing it, just never use the rear wash.

Builders house is never finished etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

promethius wrote: »
    Hey Guys it's a 01 Golf (5 door) and the boot is shut now and the key isn't working on it, just rotates and doesn't catch to open it.
    I've got a replacement barrell from a dealer and went to get it fitted today by an independent mechanic. He wasn't able to do it since the boot wouldn't open meaning he couldn't remove the plastic panel to gain access to the lock barrel to replace it with the new one.
    He reckoned the only way he could do it was jimmy the boot :eek: which i wasn't going to allow or to cut out some plastic to gain access. I wasn't keen on that either so took it off him.
    He said the only other thing i could do is take it to a main dealer who might have something that could do it without the need to damage the plastic. Problem is i'd have to wait to get a slot in a dealers for ages, do i have any other options and will a dealer be able to pop it?

OP, I've the same car make & model here I'm doing a clutch on tomorrow, I'll go out in the morning and come up with a fix for you (hopefully). I had to do this before with a Mk 4 Golf and I can't remember how I did it but I'll work it out for you and post back up here tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Darragh29 wrote: »
    OP, I've the same car make & model here I'm doing a clutch on tomorrow, I'll go out in the morning and come up with a fix for you (hopefully). I had to do this before with a Mk 4 Golf and I can't remember how I did it but I'll work it out for you and post back up here tomorrow...

Lol, if he hasn't sorted it 8 months later, i pity the OP. What's with all the old threads coming up again

• Advertisement
Advertisement