Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what book was literally stuck to your hand..ie you couldn't put it down

Options
  • 12-04-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭

At the moment its comac mc carthys' The road in fact I'd nearly say its the best book i ever read

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

The Story of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas. I thought it was great, I really needed to know what happened next.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PonyP

Am always glued to the Alexander McCall Smith books, particularly love the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

mariaalice wrote: »
    At the moment its comac mc carthys' The road in fact I'd nearly say its the best book i ever read

Ive read that i think - its very good

Im reading High Society at the moment and i cant put it down!! its mental what goes on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

whats high society about?

When I was younger I read all of Darren Shans vampire books in one sitting.

Recently I couldn't put down John Higgs' biography of Timothy Leary. An absolutely unbelievable life - Prison escapes, terrorists, LSD, kidnapped by the Black Panthers among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann.

I don't know what it is about the book but I find I regularly pick it up and re-read a few random chapters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jenmcd

Amongst Women by John McGahern and The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. House and kids were totally neglected while I read these.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

I have to confess :o
    I read the last Harry Potter novel in one sitting. 11 hours. Nearly blind by the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Life of Pi by Yan Martel was such a book for me, read it in a day I did. Good stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

There's many, Offhand I guess Life After God by Douglas Coupland, High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. Ditto on Life of Pi. And I've just started Candy Girl by Diablo Cody at the behest of my Girlfriend, and it's got a distinct unputdownable factor ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The Eye of Jade (2008), by Diane Wei Liang is rather engrossing. Read half before I put it down tonight. Cast in present day Beijing, a young woman leaves her secure government job to start a detective agency in a country that doesn't approve of such businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Lord of the Rings the first time I read it as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yup, when I read the Lord of the rings all those years ago, it was unputdownable and is every time I re-read it.

Most recently however it has been Susanna Clarke's "Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell". One of the most novel and interesting books in a long time. Excellently written and a great plot and story to boot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

rules of attraction by bret easton ellis....so easy to read and impossible to close! loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭navin.r.johnson

The Road most definitely. Norweigen Wood was another one sitting job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

American psycho

Spent a week in 97 in Hong Kong on hols and just demolished this book, my girlfriend was a little afraid of the glint in my eye during it,
    gotta go have to return some videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

buck65 wrote: »
    American psycho

Spent a week in 97 in Hong Kong on hols and just demolished this book, my girlfriend was a little afraid of the glint in my eye during it,
    gotta go have to return some videos.

i loved it too! (as most people have realised now im a big B.E.E fan) all of them are so addictive they cant be put down without struggle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

Harry Potter.....

Also The Hobbit. I thought Lord of the Rings was desperately boring at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The da vinci code, chapters were too short. I kept saying "just one more chapter" until i finished it. great book though

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

Am I the only one being driven mad by the title of this thread? I wouldn't complain about bad spelling and bad grammar on the internet, but this bloody title really bugs me.

NO book was LITERALLY stuck to my hand. Plenty of books have been figuratively stuck to my hand, but none have been literally stuck since my Airfix accident of 1987.

I normally wouldn't say anything, but given that we're in the literature section I thought I'd point it out. I have been trying to resist, but it has been here for what seems like ages now, (literally ;) ) driving me mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B by Donleavy had me gripped into the wee hours. Just kept piling on the chapters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

full of LOL moments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

randomguy wrote: »
    Am I the only one being driven mad by the title of this thread? I wouldn't complain about bad spelling and bad grammar on the internet, but this bloody title really bugs me.

NO book was LITERALLY stuck to my hand. Plenty of books have been figuratively stuck to my hand, but none have been literally stuck since my Airfix accident of 1987.

I normally wouldn't say anything, but given that we're in the literature section I thought I'd point it out. I have been trying to resist, but it has been here for what seems like ages now, (literally ;) ) driving me mad.

You need a holiday dude :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

mariaalice wrote: »

Read this recently and I agree 100%. I'll be curious to see the film too.

Another one for me was We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Umbrella Corp

Gearlds Game by Stephen King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

It's the i.e. part that gets me.

Anyhoo, back on topic, I'd have to say A Confederacy Of Dunces. Having been introduced to Ignatius J.Reilly I couldn't close the book until I gleaned everything I could about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Bah, I was just logging in to post "the glue manual" or something... Foiled again.
    RuggieBear wrote: »
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

Also to post this. It's a daunting-looking book sizewise, but I really ploughed through it.

Another would be Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The Summer of Katya by Trevanian

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho ... It has hit me on a personal level being so insightful and meaningful and once you start it just owns you in that anyone can and will take something from the book .. well worth a read IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

I couldn't and didn't. Could anyone suggest why this book was so insightful. It baffled me why this guy is so liberating to so many people. Is there any other books of his that might change my mind.

When it comes to South American literature I've never read anyone better than Borges or Garcia Marquez.

Anyone else I can add to my very limited list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

AJG wrote: »
    I couldn't and didn't. Could anyone suggest why this book was so insightful. It baffled me why this guy is so liberating to so many people. Is there any other books of his that might change my mind.

When it comes to South American literature I've never read anyone better than Borges or Garcia Marquez.

Anyone else I can add to my very limited list.

The Alchemist is about following your dream, no matter what the obstacles ... that to find your path and follow your destiny means happiness, fulfillment, and the ultimate purpose of creation ... in my opinion anyway...

I've read all of his books now at this stage ... maybe you could try Fifth Mountain ... the story attempts to answer the question of why problems and tragedies seem to befall on people when they are at their most secure and confident time of their lives

Advertisement