Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what book was literally stuck to your hand..ie you couldn't put it down

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

The Alchemist was an incredible book!!! Veronica decides to die is fairly good too

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

If I ever get through the stack of books I have here I might give one of those a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The Alchemist was an incredible book!!! Veronica decides to die is fairly good too

after you mentioned it i decided to re-read 'Veronika decides to die' and I really appreciate the way against all odds she struggles to live her last few remaining days appreciating every second of her life ... another good read, thanks for mentioning it ... fogot how good it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Only got around to reading it about a month ago after having it for about 2 years. Loved it so much, really great book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

As someone else mentioned, High Fidelity and Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas were two books I couldn't put down.

The only other books I've finished in one sitting were A Million Little Pieces by James Frey and Kingdom Of Fear by Hunter S. Thompson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Life of Pi- but that may have something to so with the fact that i should be studying, so it was a pleasant distraction.

Didn't like the alchemist at all, but I've actually just realised I read it in one go, it's a short book though and I was pretty bored.

"The Alchemist is about following your dream, no matter what the obstacles ... that to find your path and follow your destiny means happiness, fulfillment, and the ultimate purpose of creation ... in my opinion anyway..."

Just your opinion is it, not like he says it about a hundred+ times in the book. Gets old very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭funkycat83

kerry4sam wrote: »
    The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho ... It has hit me on a personal level being so insightful and meaningful and once you start it just owns you in that anyone can and will take something from the book .. well worth a read IMO
    OH MY GOD! i have found another person who realises how brilliant that book was! A true personal favourite and i recommend it to my friends or buy it for a milestone birthday for them.

as for the OP has to be Lord of The Rings, and all the Harry Potters!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Amanda

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by mister Crazy Ken Kesey. I had seen the movie but as is with a lot of books, just doesn't do justice to the read, even though Jack Nicholson does a good job of it, still, read it if you haven't. I was in my first fortnight in Australia it helped the jetlag along nicely. Great book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Low brow i know, but i really enjoy Lee Childs books. They are the die hard of books but I always demolish them in a few hours.
    Leon Uris Trilogy. Remember ready this when i was about 13 and it blew me away, got caught reading it in class instead of Silas Marner(sp?)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Tetra

Ninteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

The world according to Garp. Wowzers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

The Cryptonomicon - neal stephenson . utterly fantastic.
    I've also started the malazan series by steve ericcson and after reading the first one, i bought the next 8 (?) , anyway right up to the current one. Brilliant so far and I'm just about to start the last (most recent rather) book. Up to now I thought the Song of Ice and Fire was the best fantasy series I had read. IMHO, the malazan series leaves it standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I loved Fear and Loathing... by Hunter S. Thompson.

Other books that are undroppable are Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life by Alex Bellos; Back From The Brink by Paul McGrath; Garrincha by Ruy Castro; Amercian Psycho by Brett Easton-Ellis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yup, when I read the Lord of the rings all those years ago, it was unputdownable and is every time I re-read it.

Most recently however it has been Susanna Clarke's "Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell". One of the most novel and interesting books in a long time. Excellently written and a great plot and story to boot. :)

God I absolutely hated that book. I read about 50 pages and couldn't make head nor tale of it. One of the few books I have given up on. The other one I threw away in disgust was My name is Red. I must be a complete Philistine!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

Lizzykins wrote: »
    God I absolutely hated that book. I read about 50 pages and couldn't make head nor tale of it. One of the few books I have given up on. The other one I threw away in disgust was My name is Red. I must be a complete Philistine!

There are very few books i haven't finished, and usually I go back to them and try again. Funnily enough they are two that stand out.

With 'Johnathon Strange and Mr. Norrell' I gave up one-third of the way in, then a few weeks later I went back, and gave it another go, and was sorry I did. Waste of time. Can't see any point to it at all.

With My Name is Red, in one way it seemed intriguing but i just couldn't get into it. I gave up after 20 or so pages. have it sitting on the shelf here and thinking about tackling it again, but I have yet to meet someone who thinks it is worth reading.

Some books are just hard to get into - it took me three or four gos to get past the first 40 pages in "Oscar and Lucinda" but once I did it was fantastic and I couldn't put it down. Not sure if "My Name is Red" is one of those books...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Ullysses had me gripped from beginning to end. It pages flew past. The ony thing I found hard was making time for it.:D Steve Abbott's Holy Terror is a fantastic read also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S. Thompson are absolutely addictive.

Advertisement