Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charge without proof ??

Options
  • 12-04-2008 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a problem about ESB bills.
    When I moved in a 1 bedroom flat, I was told that I have a "separate" meter for this flat in addition to an ESB meter for a 2 bedroom flat in the same house, that was fine with me. After 3 months I received a letter from the letting agency that the landlord imposed a 100 Euro "flatrate" for ESB per month. That is far too high, based on my previous months. Since them I refuse to pay this flatrate and demand to see the actual bills for the house.But this is refused. ( the separate meter was removed in the meantime)
    The contract states as my obligation:

"To pay promptly to the authorities or to whomever they are due, local authority, refuse charges and outgoings(including gas, water, electricity...relating to the property) including any which are imposed after the date of this agreement (even if of a novel nature)......."

Any opinions on this ???

I am foreign national, so no experience with Ireland :)

cheers
    supervixen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Sounds very dodgy to me, i would contact the prtb

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

supervixen wrote: »
    After 3 months I received a letter from the letting agency that the landlord imposed a 100 Euro "flatrate" for ESB per month.
    The landlord is trying to unilaterally change the contract - this isn't allowed.
    That is far too high, based on my previous months.
    I agree.
    Since them I refuse to pay this flatrate and demand to see the actual bills for the house.
    Make sure you set aside money to pay.
    But this is refused. ( the separate meter was removed in the meantime)
    Whose name was on the ESB bill? Your's or the landlord's?
    "To pay promptly to the authorities or to whomever they are due, local authority, refuse charges and outgoings(including gas, water, electricity...relating to the property) including any which are imposed after the date of this agreement (even if of a novel nature)......."
    I suspect the landlord might have had this plan all along, but it is hard to prove. You ahve to pay the bills, but not bills that the landlord invents.
    Any opinions on this ??? I am foreign national, so no experience with Ireland :)
    The landlord is trying to exploit you.

Look at www.threashold.ie www.prtb.ie www.oasis.gov.ie and www.esb.ie and think about contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

Victor wrote: »
    Whose name was on the ESB bill? Your's or the landlord's?
    I suspect the landlord might have had this plan all along, but it is hard to prove. You ahve to pay the bills, but not bills that the landlord invents.
    The landlord is trying to exploit you.

Look at www.threashold.ie www.prtb.ie www.oasis.gov.ie and www.esb.ie and think about contacting them.

Hi Victor, thanks for the feedback :-)

The bills are in the landlords name, the newest thing is that the ESB installed a meter for my flat, so I get my own bills, but a heater I guess from the other apartment is wired to it, so I will have to pay for that too. I take it this is the landlords responsibility to have the wiring fixed ?
    And of course the claim of the landlord for the outstanding "flatrate" about 1300 Euro......
    I will try with threshold to get this sorted :)

Cheers
    supervixen

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

That might justify what hes trying to do..... in his own head

dont stand for it eitherway

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I take it this is the landlords responsibility to have the wiring fixed ?
    Yes, charge €1,300 per week for the electricity for that heater. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement