Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GTI insurance at 22?

Options
  • 12-04-2008 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

I'm 22 and would love to buy a golf GTI, probably a 2006 worth about €25,000.... But as usual insurance is the problem! I've got 3 years named driver experience, 1 years NCB in my name and a full licience for nearly 2 years. I've tried a few insurance companies and Hibernian won't quote me on anything bigger than a 1.6, FBD won't quote me until I'm 25 and I got a quote from Britton for €3,200 but that if FAR too much! I've seen a good few young guys(maybe not quite as young as me) driving MK5 GTIs, how are they insured!?!? Does anyone know a company/broker that would give me a decent rate on a GTI? I wouldn't use XS direct.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Try britton or insure.ie. From what I've heard though gti is a no-no! Wonder what the insurance is like on a skoda octavia vrs though since its the same engine. Keep looking around and try all the different brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MAKE MY DAY

farva wrote: »
    I'm 22 and would love to buy a golf GTI, probably a 2006 worth about €25,000.... But as usual insurance is the problem! I've got 3 years named driver experience, 1 years NCB in my name and a full licience for nearly 2 years. I've tried a few insurance companies and Hibernian won't quote me on anything bigger than a 1.6, FBD won't quote me until I'm 25 and I got a quote from Britton for €3,200 but that if FAR too much! I've seen a good few young guys(maybe not quite as young as me) driving MK5 GTIs, how are they insured!?!? Does anyone know a company/broker that would give me a decent rate on a GTI? I wouldn't use XS direct.

Thanks.

In lots of these cases they are only named drivers you will see quite a few driving on Mammys policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

In lots of these cases they are only named drivers you will see quite a few driving on Mammys policy.

Yeah, that'd be my thinking too.
    My advice, wait till your nearer 30! €580 for myself on a MKV GTI ;)

There will be a big catch or two if you manage to get a half-reasonable quote (massive excess, no claims protection...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

If you have a girlfriend, put her on it and it might bring the quote down. Also see if you can stick your parents on the policy because I hear that works the same too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

The GTI is loaded for insurance.

Did you try quinn direct?

Can I make a suggestion... you have 25k to spend, I've just entered my details into the quinn direct site for this: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/320/Ci-M/979930/ my details are very similar to yours, i am a year younger than you though.

and it came out at: €1,370.53 TP and €1,663.34 fully comp.

It wouldnt quote me for a GTI.

Just an interesting thought, still sporty like the GTI but seems like reasonable insurance for it. A lot of car for the money, rear wheel drive, and the GTI is very common these days too!

Maybe your set on a GTI, but its just a thought of what you could get for similar cash.

Your young man, go nuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Cj Mac

I've seen a good few young guys(maybe not quite as young as me) driving MK5 GTIs, how are they insured!?!? Does anyone know a company/broker that would give me a decent rate on a GTI? I wouldn't use XS direct.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they obviously have more money !

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jayj224

Id try insure.ie but ring them im 18 with a full lisence and they are they were the best for me. Also Seat leon Cupra thats similar to the golf gti imagine prices will be the same for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Damn that's a great car to have at 22.

Anyways, Quinn IMHO is the best one, atleast when I was looking for an insurance company it was, but it doesn't give you quotes for cars like GTI, Type R Civic. You have to ring them.

EDIT: Oh, insure doesn't give quotes for cars of that type either as I know, and they are very similar to Quinn with "normal" cars.

As for whoever asked for how do these young guys drive cars like that....... 1. They/their parents are rich. 2. They/Their parents have car related business, I know a guy whose father owns a garage and he used to drive very expensive cars and he was insured by the garage insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Cheers for the replies and suggestions guys. The only place that I got to actually quote me is Britton and they were something like €3200, which I am not willing to pay! They quoted €3500 or something like that for the 170bhp 2.0 Diesel GT, but I rang FBD ages ago about the diesel 170bhp and they came out suprisingly cheap(I can't quite recall what it was). So I might look into buying a 2.0 170bhp diesel. FBD quoted me under €1100 for a 2006 A4 2.0 TDI 170 BHP S-Line a couple of months back, so I cant imagine the same engined golf being more expensive. I'd love a GTI but looks like I cant get insured at a reasonable price!

@Paulkk, thats actually a really good suggestion and a nice car, but I've got connections in the UK car trade for a good few brands and BMW isnt one of them, so I'm going to import a car at a discount from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Must be nice to have 25k knocking around for a car when you're 22! Not to mention the other couple of grand for the insurance.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies and suggestions guys. The only place that I got to actually quote me is Britton and they were something like €3200, which I am not willing to pay! They quoted €3500 or something like that for the 170bhp 2.0 Diesel GT, but I rang FBD ages ago about the diesel 170bhp and they came out suprisingly cheap(I can't quite recall what it was). So I might look into buying a 2.0 170bhp diesel. FBD quoted me under €1100 for a 2006 A4 2.0 TDI 170 BHP S-Line a couple of months back, so I cant imagine the same engined golf being more expensive. I'd love a GTI but looks like I cant get insured at a reasonable price!

@Paulkk, thats actually a really good suggestion and a nice car, but I've got connections in the UK car trade for a good few brands and BMW isnt one of them, so I'm going to import a car at a discount from the UK.

What a bunch of crap, seriously, how unfair, not being able to get a car, not because you can't pay for the car itself, but because you can't pay for the insurance......... bull****!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

The problem is your NCB/NCD,you cant use both named expierence and no claims in your own name on the same policy.What might be likely happening is there quoting you on the basis of 3years named expierence whereas 1 year in your own name would work out at a better discount.

Try ringing and just quoting 1year NCB and forget about your named expierence

Also in saying that the car is also most likely loaded by the companies too so there could be a few other factors against you,mainly age id say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Cool man, no probs. Maybe a good idea then would be to go for a diesel as you mentioned.. maybe a 2.0TDI 170bhp? You can take advantage of lower VRT in July etc also. Theres some beautiful UK A4s floating around and they all seem well specced. You could still get the golf with that engine if your set on one either, and you could always get a remap for extra ommph and bring you close to GTI performance.

Personally I'd go for an A4 as i'm no longer a hatchback fan and those factory kitted UK ones look sweet ;)

BTW, 25k on a car at 22, i'm very jealous :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

CyberGhost wrote: »
    What a bunch of crap, seriously, how unfair, not being able to get a car, not because you can't pay for the car itself, but because you can't pay for the insurance......... bull****!

Whats so unfair about it? Like saying it's unfair that I can't drive and R32 because I only have €40K and they cost €50K. Insurance is part of the cost of running the car. Why doesn't the original poster buy a 2005 and put the difference towards the insurance.

Don't be too jealous guys, most of the €25k will be borrowed:eek:

To be honest, I wouldn't like to pay over €1500 or so for insurance. I was kinda hoping that someone would come along and say "I'm 22, drive a GTI, have it insured with XXXX and its cheap!" but it hasnt happened and looks like I'll have to wait for another few years and build up a NCB before I can get a fast car.

Now my choice is between a 2007/New Golf 2.0 TDI 170bhp GT Sport and a 2006/2007 Audi A4 2.0 170bhp S-Line. I've got plenty of time to decide as I wont be buying until August as I'll wait for the new VRT rates and I'm going away for the summer. At the moment I think that the A4 is favourite!

FX Meister wrote: »
    Whats so unfair about it? Like saying it's unfair that I can't drive and R32 because I only have €40K and they cost €50K. Insurance is part of the cost of running the car. Why doesn't the original poster buy a 2005 and put the difference towards the insurance.

3200k to insure a golf? I could understand if it had been an M5 BMW, but a golf? you are expected to pay like 270 euro a month for a small 2 litre car.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    3200k to insure a golf? I could understand if it had been an M5 BMW, but a golf? you are expected to pay like 270 euro a month for a small 2 litre car.

Your right, it is a scandelous price! I'm currently driving a 2.8 Mitsubishi Pajero and paying €1100 fully comp. If I crash that it'll do a hell of a lot more damage to another car than a Golf GTI, possibley be more expensive to repair that a GOLF GTI, its worth a lot less than a GTI but it is substancially easier to steal. I rang my insurance company a while ago about getting a A4 2.0 TDI 170bhp S-Line worth €27,000 and was told that it would be cheaper than the Pajero to insure, if that was nicked it would be just as costly to replace as a Golf GTI.

The only reasons that I can see for the GTI being so expensive are;
    Its fairly quick
    Its likely to be nicked
    and the "GTI" badge.

But those reasons dont justify €3200!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you look at the 1.4 Tsi 170bhp Golf? Might be cheaper to insure than a GTi:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/GT-TWINCHARGED/872900/

Alternatively if the badge is not important how about the Octavia vRS, same engine and power as the GTi but not the same profile with insurance companies:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Octavia/2.0-TURBO/983118/

Advertisement