Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats up with Stephen Ireland?

• 12-04-2008 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

Despite being included in GTs initial squad its reported that Stephen Ireland has chosen not to join up with his team-mates. Surely the new regime gives him a chance to let bygones be bygones.

I dont think anyone knows whats going on in his head but hes a young talented player who should be part of Ireland(the football team) s future

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Despite being included in GTs initial squad its reported that Stephen Ireland has chosen not to join up with his team-mates. Surely the new regime gives him a chance to let bygones be bygones.

I dont think anyone knows whats going on in his head but hes a young talented player who should be part of Ireland(the football team) s future
    Link? If thats true thats very disapointing. Classy midfielder, but if he doesnt want to play forget about him and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Let the plank fcuk off. It's not as if he's Messi or Keane (Roy), we can easily cope without him. I mean what has he exactly done that warrants all this hype surrounding him?

He's proven all too many times that he's erratic with his decisions and not quite with it in the brains department. Not the kind of player I would want in my squad for those big fixtures where you need men and not boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wasn't he the top scorer in the last campaign?

Ireland need to pull out all the stops to get this lad playing again. He has talent, and Ireland can't exactly allow talent to go by the wayside, can they?

I guarantee that if he does play, and score goals, everyone on here who has been slating him will be creaming themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

• Advertisement

Well said Des

DesF wrote: »

Ireland need to pull out all the stops to get this lad playing again. He has talent, and Ireland can't exactly allow talent to go by the wayside, can they?

I guarantee that if he does play, and score goals, everyone on here who has been slating him will be creaming themselves.
    I agree, we dont have alot of players with his ability so we need to get him in the team however he cannot be forced to play and if he doesnt join up with the squad this time without a very good reason I think we all have to move on and focus on the players who do want to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Why is he acting like this?

FFS

Quotes from the player? None
    Quotes from his club? None
    Quotes from named Irish officials? None
    Quotes from reputable sources (i.e. not the f*cking Sun)? - None

Thanks for that.

its in the Guardian aswell..is that a good enough source for you?

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2273059,00.html

• Advertisement

its in the Guardian aswell..is that a good enough source for you?

If it's the exact same story with no named sources then no it's not enough.

EDIT: Lol as I thought. Not a single 'source' in that one, nevermind a quote.

im so terribly sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

"The paradox is that Ireland is said to be uncomfortable with the attention. Yet he celebrated one goal earlier this season by pulling down his shorts to reveal Lycra Superman pants and he drives a black Range Rover with pink wheel trims."

lol,what a tosser.Couldnt care if he plays or not.It aint gona make that much of a difference.

midfield of

Mcgeady,Reid,Carsley,Duff

sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

This thread fails. Is there a decent source or not?

I'd love to see him play again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its reported that Stephen Ireland has chosen not to join up with his team-mates. Surely the new regime gives him a chance to let bygones be bygones

its quite possible that the bloke just doesnt want to play for ireland, and thats his choice to make

im so terribly sorry.

I don't blame you, although you did make the thread. I blame the sh*t stirrers who get away with pulling articles and sources out of their hole. It's a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I have supported ireland in the past but he's grinding my nerves now.

If Roy Keane acted like this you'd be calling for his head and asking for him to be removed from the squad because his ego was too big.

Ireland is acting the nads now and shouldn't be asked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't blame you, although you did make the thread. I blame the sh*t stirrers who get away with pulling articles and sources out of their hole. It's a joke.

But its the Guardian...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Des, what do you suggest - Trap put a gun to his head and force him to play for Ireland? Because, and I'm not being funny here, this regime has done everything short of that.

Assuming this report isn't BS, Stephen Ireland is acting like a big time charlie, and I just think he couldn't be arsed playing for his country at this stage. I, for one, will not support a player who feels this way about his country.

The new regime has indicated at the outset that they would love to have Ireland, Trapattoni himself has had nothing but good things to say about the lad - and if this is how he repays the complementes, then he has a serious problem. This isn't about agendas between Givens or Kerr, or about Grannies, or about miscarrages at this stage - this is about purley deciding not to play when selected - again, assuming the report is true.

How can Ireland "pull out all the stops" on the one hand, while S. Ireland just won't respond on the other hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

dc69 wrote: »
    "The paradox is that Ireland is said to be uncomfortable with the attention. Yet he celebrated one goal earlier this season by pulling down his shorts to reveal Lycra Superman pants and he drives a black Range Rover with pink wheel trims."

lol,what a tosser.Couldnt care if he plays or not.It aint gona make that much of a difference.

midfield of

sorted.

FFS who gives a sh!te if the man wears Lycra Superman pants and his motor has pink wheels. If he ends up coming back, excellent, if not, move on, end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I think he feels hard done by by Ireland as when Ireland underage team were playing in his hometown he invited all his family but then manager told him he would'nt be starting and he stormed off. He seems a bit precious to be honest. Maybe the GF doesnt want him off on international duty as was case when he left the Euro qualifiers to be with her. Judging by previous media reports international football seemed to be important to him and his family so it's hard to see where this reluctance to represent country that helped develop him as a player comes from.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DeadSkin wrote: »
    FFS who gives a sh!te if the man wears Lycra Superman pants and his motor has pink wheels. If he ends up coming back, excellent, if not, move on, end of story.

Thats what I was thinking as well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think he feels hard done by by Ireland as when Ireland underage team were playing in his hometown he invited all his family but then manager told him he would'nt be starting and he stormed off.

THats why he wouldnt play under Kerr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hope this isn't true. Someone should have been in contact with the guy months ago so that things wouldn't be allowed to fester. I think Brady should ask Richard Dunne and Sven to have a word with him and find out what's going on.

I think he's very important to us. He has a remarkable ability to cut out the opponent's possession. In some games, and the Man Utd derby comes to mind, it's like the ball is magnetically attracted to his feet.

I hope this isn't true. Someone should have been in contact with the guy months ago so that things wouldn't be allowed to fester. I think Brady should ask Richard Dunne and Sven to have a word with him and find out what's going on.

I think he's very important to us. He has a remarkable ability to cut out the opponent's possession. In some games, and the Man Utd derby comes to mind, it's like the ball is magnetically attracted to his feet.

And in other games, like today and every other day since the derby, he is absolutely wank and gets hauled off after 60 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

kearnsr wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking as well

well it does matter because it shows he is an attention seeking git.I will give him the benefit of the doubt because this could be bull but if it isnt he is a disgrace to his country imo

ANYONE from Ireland or any other country should be proud to play for their country,it is a privilage and if your asked to play,you play.end of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think the glue in his wig is finally seeping into his brain? This was a good opportunity for him to get back into the squad with this training camp but I guess he's still uncomfortable about the idea of gettting back with the guys who were taking the piss out of him and and trying to rip off his "hair" last time around.

Joint top with Keane and Doyle.

And in other games, like today and every other day since the derby, he is absolutely wank and gets hauled off after 60 minutes.

Yeah he didn't make much of an impact today. Shame he's not more consistent although he's still young.

well it does matter because it shows he is an attention seeking git.I will give him the benefit of the doubt because this could be bull but if it isnt he is a disgrace to his country imo

ANYONE from Ireland or any other country should be proud to play for their country,it is a privilage and if your asked to play,you play.end of!

If people just got on with it no one would be paying him any attention to him.

If he doesnt want to play for Ireland thats his choice. Who are we to say what he should and shouldnt do. You wouldnt stand me telling you what to do so why should it be any different for him? Because he can play football? Get over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

i think people are been very harsh on stephen ireland he might have a legitimate excuse this time....:eek:

scruff321 wrote: »
    i think people are been very harsh on stephen ireland he might have a legitimate excuse this time....:eek:
    His dog ate his wig? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well said Des

Lets be honest here. If he didnt play for City you wouldnt give a **** either way.

I dont agree with begging anyone to come and play. Just as with club football, the line that is often used and agreed with on here applies. No one is bigger than the team.
    By all means ask him to play (ie name him in the squad) but if he doesnt accep,t leave him be.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Simply summed up. Yes we need players of Stephen Irelands calibre because we have no depth in our team BUT he really strikes me as a guy that if he wasn't professional he wouldn't be arsed playing on a sunday pub team.

His antics also lead me to believe he is a tremendous tool. Leave him out. I don't care about the car or the attitude problem. He pissed in the face of something that any of us would give our right leg to do. Get called up for Ireland duty. He essentialy pissed on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

leave him be. If wants to come back grand., if not fcuk him. (not literally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Personally, I think Ireland is a disgrace. He's not necessarily to blame. He seems to me to have genuine problems which frankly, are none of my business. However, at this stage in his life and his career, I think Trap should tell him to take a running jump.

Give him a few years, maybe he'll cop on and maybe then he could be reconsidered for inclusion in the national set-up (if he comes looking) but as things stand, we should be concentrating on players who actually want to play.

• Advertisement

This is good to hear...
    Stephen Ireland has rubbished rumours that he has no intention of ever playing for his country again.

The Manchester City midfielder has not lined out for the Republic of Ireland since his controversial withdrawal from the squad for last September's Euro 2008 qualifier against the Czech Republic.

However, Ireland expressed an interest in returning to the international set-up after hearing of Giovanni Trapattoni’s appointment as manager earlier this year and has now revealed that he will meet with the Italian next week to discuss his prospects of doing so.

”I have never told anybody that I am not going to play for my country and I have an open mind going into my meeting with Mr. Trapattoni,” he is quoted as saying by The Irish Daily Star.

”Obviously, because I am meeting with the new Irish manager I cannot say a lot, but I am looking forward to sitting down with him.

”Personally, I will be happy to resolve the matter as soon as I have met with the manager and we have both discussed our situations.”

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/04/12/International-Ireland-on-Trapattoni/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/football

That sounds encouraging.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Why is he acting like this?
    He's obviously not got all of his marbles, imo.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Lets be honest here. If he didnt play for City you wouldnt give a **** either way.

Eh yes I would because I'm a supporter of the Irish national team and I don't appreciate the media purposely shit stirring and jumping on the 'Stephen Ireland is messed' up bandwagon. If people were going to make up shit about me I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to come back either.
    This is good to hear...

That sounds encouraging.

Look! An article with actual quotes from a named source. And it's the player too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

A little annoyed he didn't just come out and say that he's available for selection, whether he'll get picked or not.

This meeting with Trap suggests to me that he's looking for some sort of assurance that he'll get game time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

OR he could be looking for permission to bring his phychologist with him, he visits one 4-5 times a week in manchester and it's actually part of his training regime, the lad has some serious problems, but he's actually a nice fella, just needs to get himself sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Brilliant. Thank christ Duff isnt injury prone, and that Carsley has just turned 24 :rolleyes:

Meh, this story sounds like bull. He has seemed keen to return as long as it wasnt under Givens. And maybe he thinks this foreign training camp is too much for a friendly prep.

Advertisement