Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

supplier removing packaging

Options
  • 12-04-2008 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

Just received an order of a new table and chairs from Dublin based furniture company.

Anyway they left all the packaging, I asked at the time of ordering and I was told that the packaging “should be” removed. Anyway I was stuck with it, the delivery men said they don’t take it away and when I rang the shop I was told something similar.
    The person in the shop told me that they meet their quota in the factory for recycling.
    I told her that it was my understanding that packaging has to be removed by the suppliers, she told me that I could return it there, but that they had met their obligation , and also added that customers are “ entitled to ask for it to be removed, but they are not entitled to remove it”

Is this the case I should I just let it go? I have bags of packaging to get rid of, I know in my job that our suppliers have to remove any packaging from large bulky items, we use to fight it but European law hammered this down I though about 3 years ago?

Anyway should I just let it go, or have they pulled a fast one on me, and can I at least drop it off where I bought it?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I don't know it appies to this situation, but if businesses are part of "Repack" thay don't have to accept any packaging back.

It's along time since I've seen the sign members have to display but that is the jist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

You can check the Repak website for a list of members. If the company is not a member you should get on to the Environment section of the local authority the shop is in as they are responsible for enforcing the packaging regulations. They will be able to tell you the company's obligations with regard to take back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Stoner wrote: »
    Is this the case I should I just let it go?
    Why does everything have to be an ordeal.

Can you just bin/recycle it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Bluetonic wrote: »

I'm normally a stickler for consumer rights, but I have to agree here, if your willing to drag it back to the store why not just drop into your nearest 'bring centre' for recycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

many companies will offer to remove the packaging at time of delivery and others take back old fridges televisions etc when they are not obliged to so they are not all sticking to the letter of law on this,

it would appear the company you bought from if they are a member of re-pak do not have to remove packaging and the responsibility to dispose of it is yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bluetonic wrote: »

They had a truck outside my house, with space to take it, I offered to load the truck, they could have just taken it.

Now I have to get a van from work (would take 3 trips in my 2 door car, my recycle bin wont take this waste and there is far too much for a bin anyway), I now need take some time off bring it to a recycling center, drop it off and head back to work.
    It's also environmentally unfriendly, and companies, like my own, need to meet their environmental obligations. And no its not an ordeal, but it is hassle that I had planned to avoid.

This is my first ever post in this forum BTW, I'm not one for generating ordeals, I was just looking for informed advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

How large was the order, and are you likely to be placing another similar order in the near future? You could try getting back to the company, tell them you were told that the packaging would be removed by them , and that the order was on that basis. If you have more orders to be made, tell them you will be taking your business elsewhere unless they sort out the packaging.

Advertisement