Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer jobs at the Applied Language Centre

Options
  • 12-04-2008 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

so i applied for one of these positions and i have been called for an interview this week

i'm just wondering has anyone here worked there previously during the summer months? what was your experience like, what's are they like to work for etc.? the interview lasts for something like 30-45 minutes and includes some sort of task so if anyone has any indication of what the task may be it would be appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Did that interview a few years ago, think my task was to design a poster for an internationa; student event (table quiz or some ****e like that). They gave me crayons/markers too I think. Felt like I was 4 again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Friend of mine had a job there one time. Seemed to like it a lot, but I never heard anything about the interview process.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

betafrog wrote: »
    Yeah my Interview lasted an hour..

Then had to right out a letter to one of their students.. Was a bit weird to say the least.
    That was over a week ago and I haven't heard from them since, I wouldn't mind but It would be nice to know if I should look elsewhere.

+1 exactly

They told me on the phone and it would be 20-30 mins..grilled me for an hour and then had to do the letter writing task. (also it took me half an hour to do the letter as the mac they told me to use crashed as i went to save the letter, had to write the whole thing again) :eek:

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

+1 exactly

They told me on the phone and it would be 20-30 mins..grilled me for an hour and then had to do the letter writing task. (also it took me half an hour to do the letter as the mac they told me to use crashed as i went to save the letter, had to write the whole thing again) :eek:

Good luck!
    What exactly do these jobs involve? I'm guessing it's too late to apply this year but, well, as has been noted in other threads I'm gonna be around for a while...

random_banter, not to turn this into a computer thread, but I'm just wondering was it a modern Mac running OS X or one of those awful OS 9 ones they used to make us use back in ET? I'm just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

+1 exactly

Good luck!

:D thats just mental. honestly what are they forensically dissecting a bunch of inexperienced students about for an hour over a temporary part-time position? :confused: longest interview i've ever done is 15 minutes and that took some effort!
    Breezer wrote: »
    What exactly do these jobs involve? I'm guessing it's too late to apply this year but, well, as has been noted in other threads I'm gonna be around for a while...

its mostly language, admin and IT work. i applied for admin but they said the position my interview is for wasnt decided yet. the application deadline was a week or two ago so at least you wont be stuck in UCD during the summer months ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Speaking of summer jobs, the UCD Careers Office generally have a summer job up for grabs every year too. I did it last year.

If people want a nice job in UCD for the summer, it's a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I applied and they never called me :(

Then again I never gave in a photo or anything when I was applying for it, ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

Pythia wrote: »
    Speaking of summer jobs, the UCD Careers Office generally have a summer job up for grabs every year too. I did it last year.

If people want a nice job in UCD for the summer, it's a good one.

Do tell?

What does this involve?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Breezer wrote: »
    pretty*monster, not to turn this into a computer thread, but I'm just wondering was it a modern Mac running OS X or one of those awful OS 9 ones they used to make us use back in ET? I'm just curious.

:pbreeze,i was thinking exactly like you,thought she is pretty*monster lol

in reality(the internet forum),i am afraid she/he is named random*banter and using the same avatar like pretty*monster:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Do tell?

What does this involve?

Inputting paper responses to the graduate survey that's done every year into the computer and making follow up calls to non respondants.
    Also some general Careers Office duties like sometimes manning the front desk.

I loved it last year.
    Nice conditions and decent pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

seraphimvc wrote: »
    :pbreeze,i was thinking exactly like you,thought she is pretty*monster lol

in reality(the internet forum),i am afraid she/he is named random*banter and using the same avatar like pretty*monster:D
    Woops, apologies to both random_banter and pretty*monster :o
    The machines were iMac G3 but they were running OS X, I'm pretty sure it was 10.1...

But you could tell they'd been screwed around with cause everything was a mess..
    Ah, explains a lot. 10.1 didn't need much screwing around with to get messed up. It was pretty much a beta. OS 9 would've been preferable to that. Meh, curiosity satisfied, thank you :)

I'm waiting to hear too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I'm waiting to hear too...

Expect a rejection letter in the post soon :(

Why do you say this... did you get one? I'm not being nosey just trying to understand your reasoning behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

i worked in the alc during summer 2006. was really good. got to work with other ucd students but also meet aload of international students who were here studying so was good fun. yes the interview was a bit weird and got a bit of a grilling but the people there are sound and its a cool place to work.
    any questions post up and ill answer (or try)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 heidi123

Hi snack.ie I see you post a reply aaaggges ago but I thought ask a few q's now anyway & see if you could help me ;-)
    I applied for a job at the Applied Lang Centre a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything back yet...just wondering whether to move on and try somewhere else or to wait and see what happens with this one first...
    first of all -what are the hours like? are they flexible regarding study hours etc and time off for deadlines etc?
    also do you have a choice what job you do there - any ideas about the variety of jobs...im an english language teacher and i hate hate hate teaching so i want to avoid that if at all possible!!
    and most importantly what is the pay like!?

thanks a mill for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

betafrog wrote: »
    Anyone heard back from these yet?

Typical UCD... It's been three weeks and still no word!
    It's been about 50 weeks since I was interviewed: no reply at all.

Oh well, that seems to be the way things are done these days. No matter how easy we make email, it's too hard to put a bunch of addresses in the BCC field, a subject line, and a few lines of "sorry, but we'll keep you on file" to the body of a message.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement