Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discrete Dunmore Road housing estates

• 12-04-2008 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

It appears that each of the housing estates between the Dunmore Rd and the Williamstown Road is isolated from the next. Was no provision made for non-motorists? For example look at this 4km detour: http://tinyurl.com/45vbol for the sake of a gap in the wall.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mimiraffo

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    for the sake of a gap in the wall.

I live in Collin's Avenue and as far as I am concerned they didn't build the wall high enough!! Thank god a Gap in the wall was never built!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

no harm there';s no through roads or people would just use them for shortcuts off the main road,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It's ridiculous how so many estates end like that in a cul-de-sac. Whatever about not letting cars through, it's ridiculous that people can't walk through. Why is this? I know that in Farmleigh they're trying to close off the walkway into the Paddocks (Williamstown Road), which I think is ridiculous. What if one of my friends buys a house there? Why don't people want the likes of me to be able to nip up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

ill never understand why they rebuilt the wall in norwood, handy shortcut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Lep over the wall boy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fricatus wrote: »
    It's ridiculous how so many estates end like that in a cul-de-sac. Whatever about not letting cars through, it's ridiculous that people can't walk through. Why is this? I know that in Farmleigh they're trying to close off the walkway into the Paddocks (Williamstown Road), which I think is ridiculous. What if one of my friends buys a house there? Why don't people want the likes of me to be able to nip up there?

Maybe its because of scumbags coming from one estate to another and the residents not wanting them?

Just a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Cabaal wrote: »
    Maybe its because of scumbags coming from one estate to another and the residents not wanting them?

Just a guess

might be a good guess, in the estate i live in(on the dunmore road)i have noticed more and more teens(i dont know if they are scumbags!) hanging around and the residents of the estates are not happy with this afaik.

there was a walkway beside my house that connected to another street for years, however it was also a haven for gangs of teens to hang around.My neighbour applies for the walkway to be knocked and a wall was put up, result = no more gangs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

BazBox wrote: »
    might be a good guess, in the estate i live in(on the dunmore road)i have noticed more and more teens(i dont know if they are scumbags!) hanging around and the residents of the estates are not happy with this afaik.

there was a walkway beside my house that connected to another street for years, however it was also a haven for gangs of teens to hang around.My neighbour applies for the walkway to be knocked and a wall was put up, result = no more gangs!!

That might seem like a nice solution to your problem, but solving this one problem now creates two more:

1. Those scumbags are now hanging around somewhere else, but of course our attitude in this country is that somebody else's problem = no problem.

2. Anyone who might legitimately have wanted to go from one estate to another, say to visit a friend or relative, to cut through to the shop or just take the kids for a walk, can't do so now. They have to get into the car and drive all the way around... as if there wasn't enough traffic already on the Dunmore Road/ORR/Williamstown Road.

Just an idea: maybe if we didn't have narrow, dimly lit walkways sandwiched between houses, just normal-width roadways connecting estates, plus normal footpaths and verges, albeit with a couple of removable bollards to stop cars, maybe that would discourage the scumbags?

I've always felt that those narrow walkways are an extremely bad idea, because ordinary pedestrians are funnelled into them, and because they're generally hemmed in by high walls, the scumbags can easily sit up on them and "control" them from there. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought they were designed with the scumbags in mind... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

A lot of this is down to the fact that these developments were built and different stages and under different planning applications. A developer would not apply for planning and leave a gap into what was possibly a field. If building adjacent to an existing development the developer would have no right to apply to remove a wall between the two to create a walkway.

There is also a security issue here. A walkway/path between 2 developments attracts anti social behaviour and potentially an escape route for would be thieves. Going back 10 years Lisduggan had the arches "infilled" with houses because of anti social behaviour and Ballybeg/Lismore Park/Norwood also had several alleys blocked up because of same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

tonc76 wrote: »
    A lot of this is down to the fact that these developments were built and different stages and under different planning applications. A developer would not apply for planning and leave a gap into what was possibly a field. If building adjacent to an existing development the developer would have no right to apply to remove a wall between the two to create a walkway.

There is also a security issue here. A walkway/path between 2 developments attracts anti social behaviour and potentially an escape route for would be thieves. Going back 10 years Lisduggan had the arches "infilled" with houses because of anti social behaviour and Ballybeg/Lismore Park/Norwood also had several alleys blocked up because of same.

There is a walkway between Ardkeen Village and Grange Manor which is as described in that it is the width of a normal road, except for the bollards which stops vehicular traffic. - Pity more Estates didn't have this as there is never a problem with anti-social behaviour near this walkway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

fricatus wrote: »

I've always felt that those narrow walkways are an extremely bad idea, because ordinary pedestrians are funnelled into them, and because they're generally hemmed in by high walls, the scumbags can easily sit up on them and "control" them from there. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought they were designed with the scumbags in mind... :rolleyes:

Completely agree with this - there's a few of those types of walkways on my estate and if I go out walking I stick to the main routes alongside the roads rather than take a shortcut through these laneways.

Personally speaking, I prefer that the estates are separate entities, as it reduces through traffic and makes the estates quieter (ie if you live on a cul de sac chances are the only people using the stretch of road outside your house are a few neighbours living on the cul de sac).

I had the misfortune to be renting a house in Collins Avenue a few years ago who's garden backed onto the estate to the rear, and we'd often be startled by idiotic youngflas strolling casually up our drive at all hours of the day or night, cross in front of the downstairs bedroom window, down by the side of the house and through our back garden to get to the estate at the rear, damaging our garden by making a hole in the boundary hedge and trees that were there as a dividing line between the two estates, and which was also the boundary of our garden, meaning our dogs could escape through the holes they had broken down in the hedge.

Had to resort to scaring the bejaysus out of a few of them to get the message across that no, our back garden wasn't a public thoroughfare.

Whatever about opening up a wide, public path for pedestrians, the thoughts of opening up a through road for traffic would be a definite no-go personally speaking - imagine the amount of gob****es using all the estates as rat runs, like they did the outside row at Viewmount for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

fricatus wrote:
    They have to get into the car and drive all the way around... as if there wasn't enough traffic already on the Dunmore Road/ORR/Williamstown Road.

You don't HAVE to get in your car and drive the whole way round that's just lazy. why don't you just walk. It's healthier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

trishw78 wrote: »
    You don't HAVE to get in your car and drive the whole way round that's just lazy. why don't you just walk. It's healthier.

It's generally safer for me to drive round from the Dunmore Road to the Williamstown road as I normally have children including smallies who wouldn't be able to walk that far. I wouldn't want my own children walking on the Williamstown Road while all that road building is going on.

I wish there were more walkways like the ones between Mount Pleasant and Viewmount and there's rarely any trouble close to the walkways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

knock the walls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

Bards wrote: »
    There is a walkway between Ardkeen Village and Grange Manor which is as described in that it is the width of a normal road, except for the bollards which stops vehicular traffic. - Pity more Estates didn't have this as there is never a problem with anti-social behaviour near this walkway

I live in Grange Manor, and I saw in a residents letter at the start of the year, they are planning on building a wall to seperate Ardkeen Village and Grange Manor. So that short cut will be soon a thing of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The Dunmore Road housing estates are the result of incredibly poor planning decisions made by unqualified people in the city hall. A little forward thinking (when the land was being rezoned as residential) wouldve seen another link road built by the relevant builders as a condition of the planning permission (i.e. like Frisby did in front of Ardkeen Village).

The result??? Well we can all see it...traffic funnelled along an inadequate road. Will the new "green route" proposal help? I'm not so sure!

How about knocking down the old Grantstown House gate lodge between the Earls Court and Viewmount entrances, join these 2 estates together through the green areas and then feed them into the top of Island Lane with 1 roundabout? Between Glenville and The Cove roundabout...a barrier in the middle of the road to prevent right-turns. Clear out the dangerous Viewmount ditch and put in the bike lanes. To finish...a TWO lane roundabout at Oskars and the Woodlands/Farmleigh roundabout to finally get underway??????????!

Any takers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Glengooly-Guy

wellbutty wrote: »
    The Dunmore Road housing estates are the result of incredibly poor planning decisions made by unqualified people in the city hall. A little forward thinking (when the land was being rezoned as residential) wouldve seen another link road built by the relevant builders as a condition of the planning permission (i.e. like Frisby did in front of Ardkeen Village).

The result??? Well we can all see it...traffic funnelled along an inadequate road. Will the new "green route" proposal help? I'm not so sure!

How about knocking down the old Grantstown House gate lodge between the Earls Court and Viewmount entrances, join these 2 estates together through the green areas and then feed them into the top of Island Lane with 1 roundabout? Between Glenville and The Cove roundabout...a barrier in the middle of the road to prevent right-turns. Clear out the dangerous Viewmount ditch and put in the bike lanes. To finish...a TWO lane roundabout at Oskars and the Woodlands/Farmleigh roundabout to finally get underway??????????!

Any takers?

I think you could be being a bit harsh on the 'unqualified people in the city hall', most of the planning decisions (because of our planning system) are influenced by 'even less qualified councillors/TD's ' making representation on behalf of 'unqualified joe soaps from the public' who have only selfish objectives...........!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Yes it's these "even less qualified councillors/TD's" I was referring to...sorry about the mix-up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Glengooly-Guy

wellbutty wrote: »
    Yes it's these "even less qualified councillors/TD's" I was referring to...sorry about the mix-up!

Thanks for the clarification, I think we have some common views, I would in general be 'pro' linkages between estates with Grange Manor/Ardkeen Village (GM/AV) being a good example, can't for the life of me think of a good reason to close it, I'm sure I'll be given loads of reasons re anti social behaviour etc which I could understand if it was only an alley way type linkage but the GM/AV and the soon to be closed Paddocks link into Framleigh I can't see how they would encourage 'anti-social' behaviour or loitering by teenagers etc

Advertisement