Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What backpacks are you all using?

• 12-04-2008 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what type of backpacks people are bringing with them. Such as brand and model and size. Or any specs you think are relevant to the question.

The backpack issue seems to be a question a lot of people have trouble with and maybe some of the replies can give people a starting point in picking one.

The last time i traveled i used a Lowe Alpine 50 + 10 liter one. While it done it's job i found it a nuisance at times due to it's size and the fact it was top loading. I could never find what i was looking for and i could never carry it on an airplane and it nearly always got stowed on buses and such. And because i had the extra space i managed to fill it up with crap i could have easily done without.

So this time i'm looking at the Osprey Porter 46 or the the MEI Voyageur or maybe the Eagle Creek Meridian 55. These all meet the requirements for carry on luggage which means i never have to check it in. They also open completely at the front panel to allow ease of finding things. Plus i never have to worry about a big awkward pack on my back making me stand out as a tourist.

Having traveled already for 4 years on and off and the almost 2 years non stop i can wholeheartedly say that traveling light is the only way to go unless you are planning on doing major hiking and camping trips on the side. Just wash and throw away old clothes. You can pick up cheap t shirts and such while on the road.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

I agree on the travelling light thing. Last time I went travelling I brought a Riptear 60 litre backpack, and this summer I'm thinking of scaling down to a smaller bag. Useful for avoiding baggage problems in airports aswell.

That said the Riptear 60 litre bag has done its job well. It's very light, has padding for your back that allows air to circulate so your back doesn't become too sweaty, and has handy pockets. It was pretty cheap too. 60 litres holds about 20kgs as well, which is about right for airline limits on baggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i haven't got one yet. im going to pack light but plan on bringing back some things for a few friends and family so i dont know whether to get a decent sized one or just post stuff back. plus i've a very very short torso and bags are very uncomfortable so im hoping to find a short womans one.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Hey man
    I had 2 very old bags at home a 45 and a 55 .. i ended up buying a new 45 (think it was an alpine) and it was the best move i made.. Its shaped better and has airspace on the back so your back can breathe.. Its the bizz.. cuz i remember bringing the old 55 to Barcelona and my back was sweating like a bitch..
    Everyone i meet is jealous of its size.. you should see some of the bags ppl are lugging about.. It can also fit as carry on luggage on the plane (although i havnt done this yet because of liquids) but its good 2 know.. my washbag has since been robbed so maybe next time..

But yeah id recommend a brand new 45 or 55..,
    Mine was 120

happy trails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

i have a berghaus 45l. its the perfect size, plenty of room and its very lightweight. it was 75 in millets i think but i got a 30% discount:D:D
    i had a 65l before and this is much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shinnersdcu

hey I'm in the same boat of trying to pick my backpack

was thinking of the 55l+ 10l as the 10l is a daypack.i saw it on the great outdoors website

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shopping_admin/product_details/product.cgi?product=TB008&cat=Packs%20And%20Luggage&sub=Packs%20And%20Luggage--Travel%20Packs

but being 5 foot 2 should I really be going for a woman specific one and just stuffing a school bag in

my friend was told not to have anything bigger then the 45l+8l and she's much taller than me but smaller packs seems harder to come by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

hey I'm in the same boat of trying to pick my backpack

was thinking of the 55l+ 10l as the 10l is a daypack.i saw it on the great outdoors website

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shopping_admin/product_details/product.cgi?product=TB008&cat=Packs%20And%20Luggage&sub=Packs%20And%20Luggage--Travel%20Packs

but being 5 foot 2 should I really be going for a woman specific one and just stuffing a school bag in

my friend was told not to have anything bigger then the 45l+8l and she's much taller than me but smaller packs seems harder to come by

Well female backpacks are better designed for the female body such as at the hips and shoulders. So if your female you's probably be better off going for one designed for your body type.

From my experience i have decided against a daypack. I hate having to look after things while i am out in packed cities or beaches. Especially areas with high amount of theft. I had a few attempts on a daypack last time until it was eventually stolen with nothing but a towel and shorts in it. I was lucky because i had money, cameras and a mp3 player in it at different stages. I never replaced it and began using just normal carrier bags that the locals used. I never received anymore attention again from thieves.

I ended up going for the Osprey Porter 46 so i can carry onto a plane if i decide. I used to be so jealous of the people who traveled really light and i swore the next time i'd go i'd do what they done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Hey I was looking at the Lowe Alpine Walkabout Air 45 Litre Backpack as people are suggesting travel light. Im going to South America for 2 months in October and then travelling for 4 months after christmas. Will this bag be big enough?

think it's for slim line. I've only seen deuter use the term

• Advertisement

Yup slim line bag. All of the Deuter bags you see with SL are the womens version.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/c/deuter_ladies_rucksacks/

Have a look there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm not sure of makes and all that but I travelled Central America with a 45L and it was amazing. Never getting a bigger one again. Had a 70 in South America and almost broke my back.
    Right now I have a roll along. people laugh but I had to get one, I wouldn't have been able to walk after the trip if I'd kept carrying my stuff.
    And top loading ones are horrible. Never again!

Here's a picture of the one i bought.

http://www.moontrail.com/details/osprey/porter/porter-pb-300.jpg

I researched packs for months and read countless reviews and tried on loads of different ones and i couldn't find a fault or anyone criticizing the Porter 46. There are no extra pockets and all that crap on the outisde. Just pure space inside it and you can fit a lot more inside than you'd think. Anyways all them extra pockets just attact thieves. It can go from a backpack into a suitcase type of thing as well. Only thing that could put people off bringing a carry on bag is not being able to bring prohibited items onboard a plane. But i'm just gonna stick them in a mates bag or buy along the way. There are long periods between my flights.

And this time i'm only bringing one weeks worth of clothing and doing laundry. I'll throw clothes away and buy new ones every month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

north face galieo.. amazing back pack, will never need to change

GStormcrow wrote: »

bought that last night. i really like how theres a day bag attached. seems like a good size, not 45 but since this is my first long trip i dont feel brave enough to bring a smaller one yet. im only bringing enough clothes for a week anyways.

If you are only bringing enough clothes for a week it seems you have already made up your mind to travel light. So you should not have been afraid to go with a smaller pack. The problem with larger ones is that you will fill them with crap. But you live and learn and you'll find your own preference for next time.

i want room to bring things back and i'd prefer not to have to carry two bags at any stage. i just wanted spare space. well its bought now anyways :)

I really like the look of that spinandscribble

Think I'll go visit it in great outdoors on saturday :-)

yeah its nice isnt it? it arrived today while i was in college. cant wait to go home and have a look. im terrified its going to look massive!! lol will report back after. tbh i looked at some in town today and kept thinking i prefered that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Last time I travelled I had my old backpack which was within one good bump of splitting at the seams. I filled it up with clothes I no longer wanted, flew to Bangkok, gave all the clothes and the backpack to the monks in Khao San Rd and then bought a fake North Face for around 12 euro. Went down to the night markets and bought a few tshirts and jeans, etc. I then brought the backpack into a tailor who reinforced the straps with some fishing line for a few baht.

It did me for the whole of the Annapurna trek in Nepal as well as another 6wks around Asia. Beats paying over a 100 euro for some branded pack that can pack in just as easily......

• Advertisement

that's a great story RATM but in my case just not realistic i think, would love to have the balls though

I'm not going till the end of sept and i'm already packing in my head.It has taken me months to realise I do not need a million mini dresses and seriously the thought of a year without heels is going to kill me, but lugging it for a year would be worse so i'll have to deal

So I need a bag i can fit a lot into with room for prezzies...serioulsy half tempted to buy the boyfriend a massive one he'll never fill and keep adding to his in every country,but everything has to fit in mine leaving dublin

yeah its lovely spinandscribble, most prob will get it on saturday
    :-) o the excitement

You should consider shipping gifts home when possible. Something here and there eventually adds up in weight and space. And everytime you move on everything isn't going to be all neat and nicely packed the way it was when you left home. The worst thing about traveling other than being mugged or having something stolen is a heavy backpack. Doing the whole Australia thing may be grand with a big pack as you would be stationary more so but if anyone is including South America, Central America or Asia on their travels the only way to do it is as light as possible. The heat can be unbearable in certain parts and there will be times when you just want to fukk the thing away. I learned my lesson from the first time. I know all you hear about when looking up backpacks is how precious a light pack is and it sounds like a broken record. But once on the road you'll realize why it was repeated so much.

Follow the general rule, pack away what you think you need. Then stand back and remove half of that and bring more money if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Would well agree with travelling light. My first time travelling I lugged 20-25kgs, bad mistake, I was sweating carrying the thing in Asia. nowadays I keep it down to 12-14kg, an ideal weight, makes for a much happier holiday:-)

so would a 45l be considered light for a woman?

thinking i might need to be able to leg it just in case some weirdo comes after me or something,hearing well dodge stuff about trans siberia

o scary excitement :-)

Well it depends what you are putting in it and how heavy the pack is empty. The Deuter Traveller 55 + 10 mentioned in here is 3 kg's when empty. That is heavy in terms of an empty pack. The one i got is less than 1.2 kg's empty. I know it doesn't sound like much when you consider how light 3 kgs are. But when it's on your back and you are adding stuff to it, it can become burdensome. Try the packs on in a store before buying them. Even if you don't intend on buying them from the store. Certain places will have weights to give you a feel for it. And then when you find one order from the net as they are usually cheaper. I got mine 80 euro cheaper from the US. And then when you get your backpack you can always do a trial run. Pack it with what you intend to bring and then walk up and down the stairs a few times with it. If you are out of breathe and tired after walking up and down the stairs about 10 times imagine how it will be when you are walking in blistering heat at over 3000 meters above sea level depending on where you are.

Well it depends what you are putting in it and how heavy the pack is empty. The Deuter Traveller 55 + 10 mentioned in here is 3 kg's when empty. That is heavy in terms of an empty pack. The one i got is less than 1.2 kg's empty. I know it doesn't sound like much when you consider how light 3 kgs are. But when it's on your back and you are adding stuff to it, it can become burdensome. Try the packs on in a store before buying them. Even if you don't intend on buying them from the store. Certain places will have weights to give you a feel for it. And then when you find one order from the net as they are usually cheaper. I got mine 80 euro cheaper from the US. And then when you get your backpack you can always do a trial run. Pack it with what you intend to bring and then walk up and down the stairs a few times with it. If you are out of breathe and tired after walking up and down the stairs about 10 times imagine how it will be when you are walking in blistering heat at over 3000 meters above sea level depending on where you are.

poop, i hope i wont have buyers regret.

had a good investigation regarding the bag today. nice bag, im really impressed with it. the day bags a lovely size and very secure when on the bigger bag. can pack the straps away so it can be carried on a shoulder strap or as just luggage. didnt realise how big it would be so im going to avoid filling it just for the sake of it. got sandals at the same time i ordered it but they sent me the wrong size, grr. rang up and its alright they'll pay for the return. :) cant wait to pack.

Yeah make sure you don't fill the extra space. But that's easier said than done. Once space exists one tends to fill it.

i dont actually have enough summer clothes to fill it tbh. im bringing, one pair of jeans, one long skirt, one combats, one long shorts, one light long sleeved top, 2 tshirts, one pair of runners, one pair of sandals and a hoodie. then some knickers/socks. then some shower stuff, a few books (was told to bring them by the village im going to), juggling clubs and thats it.

• Advertisement

you seem to be packing fairly light all right. But juggling clubs??? You gonna be staying at a circus?

so the plan of extracting all the info off the greatoutdoors guys and buying on the internet for cheaper didn't really work very well

so was totally set on getting a deuter travel bag but tried on the traveller and it didn't fit at all!have a midget back apparently!so then i clearly wanted the bright yellow trekker one and nothing over 45l but ended up with a very boring black 60l lowe alpine!!!

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shopping_admin/product_details/product.cgi?product=TB0040&cat=Packs%20And%20Luggage&sub=Packs%20And%20Luggage--Travel%20Packs

the guy was so nice and I reckon i was talking to him for at least 2 hours I couldn't break it to him I really wanted the deuter quantum and since the other dueter didnt fit kinda thought that wouldn't either.

After speaking to him we're totally rearranging our whole trip so it was worth it,he was so more informative than usit and trailfinders combined!

so he was all for this bag, apparently lowe alpine totally redesigned the bag and not just the adjustable back system but i was sold coz it opens like a suitcase and can padlock it compared to the much prettier colourful trekker ones :-( coz they'd wreck my head having to repack after taking something out

still unsure though as it has no daypack and its 60l which is going to be hard not to overfill.hummm maybe i could pimp my backpack and make it prettified?

that bag can be ajusted to the length of your torso, i've a short one too so thats why i figured it out.
    juggling clubs... well since i'l be in a remote village for a month with nothing to do until 6pm each day i've been told to find ways to amuse myself. im trying to get better at clubs but dont have time at the moment with exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Heading to New Zealand at the start of June, taking this bad boy with me
    http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Bora-80#
    I very much like the Arc'teryx gear, so went for the supposed Rolls Royce of the backpacks, they hold their value very well also so the resell value on ebay (also where I bought it) should be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

so the plan of extracting all the info off the greatoutdoors guys and buying on the internet for cheaper didn't really work very well

so was totally set on getting a deuter travel bag but tried on the traveller and it didn't fit at all!have a midget back apparently!so then i clearly wanted the bright yellow trekker one and nothing over 45l but ended up with a very boring black 60l lowe alpine!!!

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shopping_admin/product_details/product.cgi?product=TB0040&cat=Packs%20And%20Luggage&sub=Packs%20And%20Luggage--Travel%20Packs

the guy was so nice and I reckon i was talking to him for at least 2 hours I couldn't break it to him I really wanted the deuter quantum and since the other dueter didnt fit kinda thought that wouldn't either.

After speaking to him we're totally rearranging our whole trip so it was worth it,he was so more informative than usit and trailfinders combined!

so he was all for this bag, apparently lowe alpine totally redesigned the bag and not just the adjustable back system but i was sold coz it opens like a suitcase and can padlock it compared to the much prettier colourful trekker ones :-( coz they'd wreck my head having to repack after taking something out

still unsure though as it has no daypack and its 60l which is going to be hard not to overfill.hummm maybe i could pimp my backpack and make it prettified?

I have that bag and I love it. I've a short back too and this bad is really comfortable! Good quality bag too... I don't think you can go too far wrong with it.

If you want to liven it up, get a badge from each country/city you travel to and sew it on :P

tywy wrote: »
    I have that bag and I love it. I've a short back too and this bad is really comfortable! Good quality bag too... I don't think you can go too far wrong with it.

If you want to liven it up, get a badge from each country/city you travel to and sew it on :P

cool thanks,yeah I'm coming around to it

yeah the badge is a great idea isn't it.Yer man in the great outdoors
    (seriously I can't remember his name but if u need to know anything you should go pretend to buy a bag off him and get info off him,he has a shaved head and loads of shell jewellery on which his girlfriend made in fiji :-) )
    anywho he was saying the lowe alpine logo can scream i've got money so he covered it with and ireland flag.he said the best idea ever as first off people know your not american/english and clearly they love you

so defo gonna do that,saw badges in O'Carroll's for like 2.99 but apparently they're dirt cheap in the army shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Hey folks

I'm heading on a round world trip next week (!) and haven't even thought about backpacks or what i was or what i wasn't bringing till it hit me reading this thread.

The problem points for me are:
    1. Different climates. As it round world trip i'll be hitting different countries at much different climates (i.e. hot in oz to freezing in america). Is it best just to buy most of your clothes along way depending on the weather?

2. Dragging it around. As i'll be touring asia for a few weeks i don't want to lugging around a big backpack in 30 degree heat.

I'm terrible at packing so know i will bring too much that i don't need so was hoping some can point in right direction with above points in mind.

Thanks for any input.

Unless you are going to be in exteme cold temperatures all you have to do is layer rather than bringing big jackets and heavy clothes that will take up loads of room while in the warmer climates. A lot of the Southern states are still warm in winter in the US. So unless you are gonna be north most of the time i wouldn't worry about the freezing temperatures. And if you find it too cold just put up a cheap heavy jacket and drop it into a salvation army or something before you move on. I always buy my clothes along the way except for the weeks clothing i originally brought with me.

Buy a travel pack that passes regulations for carry on luggage on aircraft. They are small but spacious and will save you from dragging a large pack around. The one i bought for my next trip is the Osprey porter 46.

Just pack a weeks clothing and do laundry or buy cheap clothes as you go along.

Hi Neamhshuntasach thanks for the input.

Yeah will def look into packing light as will be a big help in long run. Any ideas what type of prices I'd be looking at for backpacks around the size of Osprey porter 46?

The weather is dependent on time of year we get around to going to america, had intended to go sking in new zealand as well but once again that will depend when we leave oz. As you can tell there is no real timeframe on the trip so thats why i'm finding it hard to plan!

Thanks though for advice.

The Osprey Porter will cost you 99 dollars if you buy it from any US online store. And the delivery cost should be around 30 dollars or so. And if you go to here www.retailmenot.com and search for the name of the store you'd be buying any backpack from you can see if there is a voucher for it. I got mine from REI and got a 25% discount using one of the vouchers. Only thing with buying from the US is that you have to be lucky if you are to avoud customs charges over here.

Thanks for the links though my problem is that I'm flying out in just over a week so I doubt they would deliver it in time to me especially with customs so it would seem I would have to get one locally.

Was looking at the Lowe Alpine Amazon Carry-On 40 Litre Travel Pack on greatoutdoors webiste but there only seems to be one choice but was hoping for couple more choice in the 40l or that size range (i like idea of skipping baggage claim!)

• Advertisement

Having the option of just going straight onto a plane without checking anything in is great. Especially when you land and you don't have to worry about your bag ending up miles around the world. The amount of people i have met who had their bands end up elsewhere in unbelievable.

If ordering from the net is outta the question due to time contraints. Check out 53 degrees north. They have stores out at the Blanch center and in Carrickmines. I've never been in them but i've heard people recommend them.

The Lowe Alpine Amazon Carry-On 40 is supposed to be a decent backpack. It's light when empty and has a fair amount of space in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Was looking at this pack.

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shopping_admin/product_details/product.cgi?product=TP001&cat=Packs%20And%20Luggage&sub=Packs%20And%20Luggage--Backpacking%20Packs

Looks light without too many things hanging off it.
    Might be a bit too big though.

Seems a bit on the big side all right. It's light which is a plus but it's size and the fact that it's a top loader would put me off it. Top loading packs suck. What you are looking for always ends up at the bottom somehow. Murphy's law i guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It has compartment divider thing. So you can divide the backpack in 2 and you can open it from the top and bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Guys, any suggestions on good places to look around town for a backpack. I'm in the market for something around 50/60l and want to get it tomorrow. Travelling for 3 1/2 months. Thanks for any advice

Just have a look around capel street area. There's 2-3 shops in the area that sell backpacks/camping stuff.

Advertisement