Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Millwall coming to town in July

• 12-04-2008 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/244/

Shelbourne FC and Bray Wanderers have both confirmed friendlies with the South East London team. Millwall currently lie 6th from bottom of their league, two points above the relegation zone. They currently have three Irish players on their books, Alan Dunne, Andrew Callaghan and Ross Gaynor.

The matches are scheduled to take place on the following dates:

Shelbourne FC vs Millwall FC - 14th July - Tolka Park - KO TBA
    Bray Wanderers vs Millwall FC - 16th July - Carlisle Grounds - KO 7:45pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol curfew in the surrounding areas me thinks. Wonder how many fans will travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I have no interest TBH, I would not imagine they would get a lot of revenue for the two clubs so whats the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

I have no interest TBH, I would not imagine they would get a lot of revenue for the two clubs so whats the point.

Match practice for Millwall FC and a European trip for their fans.

raheny red wrote: »
    Match practice for Millwall FC and a European trip for their fans.

I was looking at it from an Irish soccer perspective. I think it is silly to get such a non-event as a friendly. Why would one want to pay loads of money to see a team that could be in league 2 next year. Derry city got Barcelona to come over for a game, and thats a nice money spinner, well worth the money. Millwall are rubbish, I'd never pay 20 euro to see them play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Why would one want to pay loads of money to see a team that could be in league 2 next year.

Loads of money? Hardly, by anyones standards.

It's a friendly, big deal! Shels have played Middlesborough, Leeds, Sunderland and tonnes more in the past few years. Just because they're playing Millwall doesn't mean they're looking to put it forward as a huge money-spinning glamour tie. Just because we can't get Barcelona to come over doesn't mean we shouldn't play friendlies.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Loads of money? Hardly, by anyones standards.

It's a friendly, big deal! Shels have played Middlesborough, Leeds, Sunderland and tonnes more in the past few years. Just because they're playing Millwall doesn't mean they're looking to put it forward as a huge money-spinning glamour tie. Just because we can't get Barcelona to come over doesn't mean we shouldn't play friendlies.

IMO Shels and Bray will have played half a season of football so its not as though they will need tuning up. More than likely the game will be played in the league break of 2-3 weeks that happens half way through the season. They dont need a friendly, they need to rest, thats why they have the break. I understand why clubs play the money spinners, I dont understand this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

They will be playing UCD as well, hasn't been confirmed yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Cue Danny Dyer to shoot an episode of Real Football Factories in Dublin, biggin the city up as being a propa naughTy little town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Cue Danny Dyer to shoot an episode of Real Football Factories in Dublin, biggin the city up as being a propa naughTy little town.

Amazing.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I went to see Milwall and Palace about 3 years ago a derby I think, I was with a girl who was a season ticklet holder of 13 years, I used her da's season ticket so I was among the hardest of Milwall fans and I have to say that I was very surprised despite many stories of Milwall fans I found them good crack and there was no hassle at all.

They like the Irish I wore an Irish jersey to the game because the girl I went with wanted me to! I thought she might have been setting me up but all the fans around me were shaking my hands and talking about Mick McCarthy as if he was some sort of legend and Richard Sadlier was been touted to make a comeback at that time but sadly that didn't happen. Cahill played that day and was excellent and Paul Ifill also, don't judge Milwall on old folk stories no doubt like every club they have some bad fans but I found them very easy going and friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Bushwhackers don't like the Irish afaik.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Was in Manchester a few years ago when Milwall were in town for the FA cup semi final, most pubs shut up shop for it...

That said, I know a pretty hardcore Milwall supporter with the skinned head, the tattoos and what have you and I have to say he's a fairly bang on guy. Having said that though, he is banned from going to see Milwall at the Den... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Bushwhackers don't like the Irish afaik.

I don't think thats true based on my first hand expierence of hardcore fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What the hell will this do for Irish soccer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

Jesus Christ, what's so hard to grasp about the fact that Millwall have decided to come to Ireland for a pre-season tour:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Nobody has actually expressed any interest in seeing what kinda football Millwall will play. I for one would be interested in having a look at such teams who may come over for a friendly or two!
    Surely there is more to be interested in, other than fan debates...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cork City turned down a request from Millwall for a friendly.

cheesedude wrote: »
    What the hell will this do for Irish soccer?

Nothing, which is my sentiments exactly. Fair play to Cork for turning down their friendly request, the game will do nothing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'll never have an interest in the LOI if they do **** like this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sh*t like what? Organise a friendly? What difference does it make to you if they play it or not?

Maybe Shels feel that it would be good for their now young squad to get a bit of experience against rough and ready lower English league side. Let's face it, if any of their players do make the trip to England that's the level they'd be playing at so why not give them a heads up?

I really don't see the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What the hell are you on about?

Shít like what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

DesF wrote: »
    What the hell are you on about?

Shít like what?

Is the objection LoI clubs hosting middle division English sides or this particular team?

Milwall are on tour and Shels, Bray and UCD, not three clubs associated with having loads of money make a few quid. So what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

A nice one to add to your portfolio of getouts from actual football that's not on in an 80,000-seater.

Grand job, I look forward to your next amazing comment.:rolleyes:

It's a friendly for Christ sake. As a matter of interest did you happen to go to the Sunderland or Burnely friendlies against Bohs, Leeds friendly against Shels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Hilarious, i can imagine the post Euro 2008 summertime slump in football news being enlivened with hilarious reports out of Dublin, Ireland (Reuters), of a London football team and its supporters getting into all sorts of trouble with Irish football supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Irish football supporters.

Woah... this is Shels and Bray we're talking about. They'd probably take pity and leave a few hardcores behind out of sympathy!

Let me rephrase:

"Eircom League of Ireland supporters!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mid season freindlies are gay, we trying to get 2 BIG teams, irony we trying to get Cheesedudes 2 clubs albeit one wont be played in Ireland.

Wonder if he give a **** then.

kdjac

Let me rephrase:

"Eircom League of Ireland supporters!"

Do you write for the Herald? What sensationalist garbage.

Milwall have been over to Ireland on a number of occasions and never a sniff of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'm pretty sure nobody cares if people like you have an interest, if thats your attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Maybe Shels feel that it would be good for their now young squad to get a bit of experience against rough and ready lower English league side. Let's face it, if any of their players do make the trip to England that's the level they'd be playing at so why not give them a heads up?

spot on. as unglamorous as Millwall sound for friendly opposition, these friendlies are ideal for the likes of Shels and Bray as they come just straight after when the transfer window opens in July so in theory these matches provide a great opportunity to blood new signings and prospects against a relatively stellar opposition who might be about the same level as Pats or Drogheda. this would hardly be possible if Ireland was still playing winter football. for pure footballing reasons, i think its a good move by Shels, Bray and UCD. if clubs wanted to make megabucks they bring in Man U or SunderIreland not Millwall

Do you write for the Herald? What sensationalist garbage.

Milwall have been over to Ireland on a number of occasions and never a sniff of trouble.

what the **** is the Herald?

what the **** is the Herald?

Crawl back under your rock before you make a bigger fool of yourself.

Shels are also due to announce another friendly in Tolka Park for the 24th July in the coming days.

Be sure to check www.shelbournefc.ie for more info.;)

Leeds are coming back to Tolka again this season, this time on Thursday the 24th July at 7.30.

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=891

• Advertisement

UCD-Millwall confirmed for 21 July.
    http://www.ucdsoccer.com/index.php?a=27

More info one the 2 Shels fixtures.

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=919

UCD also playing Dundee Utd on Monday, 14 July.

UCD also playing Dundee Utd on Monday, 14 July.

Anytime confirmed? Most likely me and a few Shels lads will go to cheer on Sean Dillon "Me Softly"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Don't give Ciano ideas!

• Advertisement

hunter164 wrote: »
    Don't give Ciano ideas!

We've already discussed the matter.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

On tour over here same time as Leeds, playing the same teams within a day of each other :)

FUN FUN FUN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

We've already discussed the matter.;)

Ah jaysus Gav.

Anytime confirmed? Most likely me and a few Shels lads will go to cheer on Sean Dillon "Me Softly"
    7.45pm.

UCD vs Millwall scheduled for the 21st July has now been cancelled.
    http://www.millwallfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10367~1342446,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

im staying out of this one

Anyone go to UCD-Dundee Utd tonight?

Shels - Millwall was an alright match, first half wasn't great but some nice football played in the 2nd half. About 100 - 150 Millwall fans over.

Advertisement