Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time,undergraduate

Options
  • 12-04-2008 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Im looking everywhere trying to find part-time undergraduate degrees which are NOT for mature students. Im 19,did well in my leaving cert last year but cannot see myself doing a degree full-time for four years. I work in childcare and would eventually love to become a primary school teacher, however i do not want to go and study a full time four year degree to get there. Im from galway and was wondering does anybody know of any part-time undergraduate degrees which I would be eligible for, preferrably in early childhood eduation or something in that sector. I then intend to complete the hibernia online teaching course once I have obtained my degree.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Here's one. You could have a proper search on the qualifax website for courses to suit you. www.qualifax.ie

http://www.qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=31154&CSH_ID=18

Or try the Open University, they have some courses on Childhood and Education, and you could do the work from home

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/childhood-and-youth/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

the-furbo wrote: »
    Im 19,did well in my leaving cert last year but cannot see myself doing a degree full-time for four years.
    Be aware, though, that due to the current completely unjust (imho) government stance, if you are undertaking a degree part-time you will be caught for full fees ... and they tend to be prohibitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Also while the Open University degrees are now officially recognised in Ireland I don't know if having one will allow you to apply to Hibernia. If you get in touch with Hibernia they will be able to tell you and could you post here if / when you get an answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Be aware, though, that due to the current completely unjust (imho) government stance, if you are undertaking a degree part-time you will be caught for full fees ... and they tend to be prohibitive.

This may change in the coming year though. Towards 2016 has a government commitment to addressing this issue and it is also targeted in the programme for government. Given the need for up-skilling in the economy this will be a priority in the not too distant future.
    hayser wrote: »
    Also while the Open University degrees are now officially recognised in Ireland I don't know if having one will allow you to apply to Hibernia. If you get in touch with Hibernia they will be able to tell you and could you post here if / when you get an answer?

Both OU and Hibernia have a number of their qualifications recognaised by HETAC and therefore aligned on the national qualifications framework. As such transfer and progression shouldn't be too much of an issue. Getting into Hibernia is no easy task though, they have far more applications than they have places currently.

Advertisement