Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42 inch lcd hd tv from aldi

Options
  • 12-04-2008 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

anyone else buy one of these monsters. i bought one and only have it three days and its broke allready picture is mixed up and blurry and also wistleing noise comming out of it. gonna bring it back and see what i can do im gonna get a replacement and check it out. after that im gonna take back my money and look else ware ( good things aint cheap & cheap things aint good) just to inform you if any of you were tempted to buy.:(:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

freebird23 wrote: »
    ( good things aint cheap & cheap things aint good)

That's not necessarily true. I bought a 32" LCD from Tesco last year for €399 and it is still working perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

what make is your tv. maby mine is just bad luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Technosonic is the badge on the front of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fair enough if this was bought in Waterford but its more of a consumer issue me thinks.

Topic Moved

(Mods, feel free to move back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ring the freephone helpline!!

as discovered in another thread aldi and lidl appear to be pretty good in replacing/repairing goods which malfunction even right up to the end of their 3year guarantee period and the collection is very fast usually next day or if not within two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

With LCD TVs, you don't necessarily get what you pay for. Expensive, well-known brands are not often better than cheaper, non-brand sets. Sony LCDs for example are well-known for not providing good pictures.

You really have to look at a picture on the screen before buying, try to see a broadcast signal rather than a DVD.

Watch a news broadcast. Look at the lines and detail on the reader's face. See how they are visible when he/she's still, but disappear when she moves? Or if its a 'piece to camera' from an outside location, look at the detail in the background (trees etc) and see how it disappears if the camera moves suddenly.

Look at a soccer match. Notice how you can see the blades of grass when the camera is still, but when it pans the grass turns to mush?

All LCDs do this to some extent. Larger screens (maybe 24" and above) do this more and its more noticeable too. Small screens handle it better and its less noticeable anyway.

Its a problem inherent in LCD technology - the latency in changing the state of the display pixels is an issue and its hard to get the processing speed high enough to present a full picture to the display panel 25 times a second.

It drives me mad. TVs that are sold as 'High Definition' really aren't when you watch them, unless its a nice peaceful picture of a fishtank or trees gently swaying. Any fast movement and the definition is worse than a tube-type TV.

The best large TVs are still Plasmas, Panasonic do a 37" one which is really good.

Not many companies actually make the display panels, so its quite possible that whether you buy a well-known brand or an Anytronix, you'll in fact be getting the same insides.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

You really have to look at a picture on the screen before buying, try to see a broadcast signal rather than a DVD.
    Good luck in Tesco where you have to buy some in a box, with only the illustration on the outside to guide you.

Advertisement