Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese people's protest

Options
  • 12-04-2008 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Did anybody see any news about Chinese people's protest in front of GPO yet?

My estimation is about 1000 people attended it. No news reporter were seen at the scene.

We were told not to shout anything to do with protesting against "free tibet", in case the protest go out of control. The main messages we were trying to send included "welcome to China/Beijing", " Support Beijing Olympics","No politics", "China we love you", etc. Many other slogans, such as "we want media justice", "respect china, respect Olympics", "peace and love" etc, were considered too hard to follow therefore not used.

Most Irish people seem to be shocked. I saw one woman stick finger at us. Another one said we should march for democracy.

A very old lady took her prayer's necklace out and she was obviously angery. She said we were invaders of Tibet and shame on us. Am I wrong to think she thought we were devils and the necklace can frighten us away?

I guess many Irish would be very annoyed because we, Chinese, were demostrating and causing traffic blockage and noices. but sorry, if that is the only way that our opinion can be heard, we have to do it.

Western media has decided to turn a blind eye on us and our opinion, that is why I am here to communicate with you, to try to at least get people to consider the possibility that might be a different version of the China story.

One more link for you: http://youtube.com/watch?v=LZf_Ag7SmxI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

There was a demonstration about solidarity with Palestinians (LINK), and it wasn't on the media either. So it doesn't look like there is a bias against just you guys, but I can only assume the protests weren't of interest to the media for whatever reasons.

Still, good to see that you were able to protest without too much trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

wes wrote: »

At least they're able to protest without the fear of having the crap beaten out of them unlike in some of the countries which China supports.

At least they're able to protest without the fear of having the crap beaten out of them unlike in some of the countries which China supports.

I wonder if we could go to China and have a Pro-Tibet or Pro-Uighur protest, with the same ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

wes wrote: »
    There was a demonstration about solidarity with Palestinians (LINK), and it wasn't on the media either. So it doesn't look like there is a bias against just you guys, but I can only assume the protests weren't of interest to the media for whatever reasons.

Sorry to correct you - the Palestinian protest was mentioned on Newstalk - it had around 150 people gathered around to hear the speakers give a speech (including Senator David Norris - Newstalk informs me). On the other hand I have not heard anything about the Chinese demonstrations which were much larger.

On the other hand - I am a *journalist* working for a newspaper (albeit a college run one). I am in the process of writing up the article at this moment and have a few pictures of the day. I just spotted one incident but on the whole it passed off without any trouble.

To be fair - I didn't see much coverage of the pro-Tibetan protests that took place 2(?) weeks ago through Dawson street.

edit:
    Today seemed like THE day for protests - I saw an anti-abortion one, the Chinese one, the Palestinian one and a Cannabis legalisation one.

Anyway here's an example of what happened today (there were two groups of Chinese people on both sides of the street):
    5AC79CC227204BD5B37D2A46C8E6192B.jpg

There are more pictures if you follow click on this picture.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Sorry to correct you - the Palestinian protest was mentioned on Newstalk - it had around 150 people gathered around to hear the speakers give a speech (including Senator David Norris - Newstalk informs me). On the other hand I have not heard anything about the Chinese demonstrations which were much larger.

On the other hand - I am a *journalist* working for a newspaper (albeit a college run one). I am in the process of writing up the article at this moment and have a few pictures of the day. I just spotted one incident but on the whole it passed off without any trouble.

To be fair - I didn't see much coverage of the pro-Tibetan protests that took place 2(?) weeks ago through Dawson street.

Well, I got it wrong then. Didn't see any coverage of it.

Fair enough, maybe the op has a point then. Was the media informed of the protest btw?

I saw a lot of posters for the Palestinians one all round town for the last week, but have not see anything for the pro-China protest.

• Advertisement

I have no idea whether the media were informed or not - I wasn't informed through official media channels anyway. (Btw I'm not involved in the demonstrations at all - I'm just reporting on what happened and interviewing people there).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

At least this did not happen when you protested in Dublin

tiananmensquareherofv7.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9620/tiananmenrv4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭yawtin

A bit more information about Dalai Lama and his Democratic ruling in Dharamsala, India:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5sOm-uQH9Y&eurl=http://web.wenxuecity.com/BBSView.php?SubID=mychina&MsgID=261320

All I want to say is, if you don't really understand what you are supporting or against, don't make up your opinion too quickly.

I have no idea whether the media were informed or not - I wasn't informed through official media channels anyway. (Btw I'm not involved in the demonstrations at all - I'm just reporting on what happened and interviewing people there).

Would you mind posting a link to your article in this thread, when your done? Would be interested to read some of the details.

It's probably going to be in paper format - but they may put it up on www.therecord.ie (Trinity's local newspaper). (Might have to wait some time though).

I will not try to talk about the whole issue of Tibet (that would take a whole supplement, if not a book) but I'll try to present what many Chinese people feel about the situation (something that I had felt was lacking in the media here). An 800 word limit won't give you much chance to say everything that needs to be said but hopefully I can give a balanced Chinese view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

yawtin wrote: »
    All I want to say is, if you don't really understand what you are supporting or against, don't make up your opinion too quickly.
    I wonder if the Chinese demonstrators had a sufficient knowledge of Irish history to appreciate the absurdity of them using the GPO as a place to celebrate a major superpower.

See link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8-k6nUzX8g

The title says: "who can say the Chinese Army is ruthless?". Most Chinese people who saw it said could not believe they were fooled by CNN for so many years.

Surely you never saw any report on soldiers in those tanks been burnt alive inside, just because they were ordered not to fire.

I know students who witnessed the violence on the Square. They said they were sad about what the govenment did but if they did not crack the uprise down, China is probably using US Dollars now.

CIA is involved in Tiananmen Uprise, Darfur problem, Free Tibet and Falungong movement, and there is plenty of evidence. We are from a country that is under attack, we will do our best to protect our country's interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I was there! It was huge, and definitely newsworthy. I heard Joe Public moaning and groaning a bit, but nothing more than the usual stock lines and opinions.

A man with a Northern Irish accent passed by wheeling a breathing apparatus shouting 'Free Tibet!', and some of the crowded turned around and shouted angrily. One guy had a brief history of Tibet written on his t-shirt, and showed it to the N.I. guy (who wasn't interested).

I really got the feeling that the Chinese community feels very strongly about the anti-Chinese media campaign, and rightly so. They are not 'brainwashed' either.

3.jpg

We are from a country that is under attack, we will do our best to protect our country's interest.
    Are you aware of the significance of the GPO site?:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no, of course not. it's just a happy coincidence they are bleating the state line.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

tiananmensquareherofv7.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9620/tiananmenrv4.jpg

check this video out,
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=SbX0gAk3zRA

2 of the student leaders said they were on the square on the day of 6.4
    but they did Not see any killing.
    ps. this video was filmed outside China.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Western media has decided to turn a blind eye on us and our opinion, that is why I am here to communicate with you, to try to at least get people to consider the possibility that might be a different version of the China story.

One more link for you: http://youtube.com/watch?v=LZf_Ag7SmxI

Western medias: "China has only three major airports because China spends his money on educating young communists"

Out of curiosity wtf? This link is actually propaganda, this isn't an unbiased link explaining why we are all wrong, this is actually why the 'west' as you call us find it hard to well empatise with you.

Tomas_V wrote: »
    Are you aware of the significance of the GPO site?:rolleyes:

1916 uprising and declaration of independence.

Nowadays though it is used a forum where people can air their grievances (whether they be pro-Tibet, anti-abortion, pro-Palestinian or others) in a central place.

Unless of course you're suggesting it be reserved for declarations of independence only?

1916 uprising and declaration of independence.
    1916 uprising against a superpower (which claimed ancient rights to dominate Ireland) that suppressed the religious and economic freedom of the people. Put down with excessive force, but inspired the ultimate independence of a small nation.:D

I'm sure there are less inappropriate places in Dublin for a superpower to protest about unflattering media stories.

An 800 word limit won't give you much chance to say everything that needs to be said but hopefully I can give a balanced Chinese view.

Thanks. that is certainly needed. I suppose we just don't have enough experience on organising protests to know we actually have to imform you. I thought the media here is suppose to go to the news scene as it happens.

I wonder if the Chinese demonstrators had a sufficient knowledge of Irish history to appreciate the absurdity of them using the GPO as a place to celebrate a major superpower.

You are not convinced, are you? Tibet has been officially part of our history since 12th Century. Tibet claimed independence in 1913 as they were encouraged by the British Colonizers from India. No government in China had ever proved the self-declared independency. Tibet has never been recognized as a country internationally, not even before Communists took power.

CIA want FREE TIBET movement to cause trouble for China. Is it right to support them? Mind you, the last tool they used was Falungong, this time it is Free Tibet, and guess what, some so-called "student leaders" from Tiananmen Uprise have supported both. And CIA give them all funding.

• Advertisement

CIA want FREE TIBET movement to cause trouble for China. Is it right to support them? Mind you, the last tool they used was Falungong, this time it is Free Tibet, and guess what, some so-called "student leaders" from Tiananmen Uprise have supported both. And CIA give them all funding.

bad/evil/etc CIA !=(not equals) good China

Sure just because Irish republicans got help from the Germans you can't say the Irish were wrong(WW1 i refer to)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The title says: "who can say the Chinese Army is ruthless?". Most Chinese people who saw it said could not believe they were fooled by CNN for so many years.

Surely you never saw any report on soldiers in those tanks been burnt alive inside, just because they were ordered not to fire.

I know students who witnessed the violence on the Square. They said they were sad about what the govenment did but if they did not crack the uprise down, China is probably using US Dollars now.

CIA is involved in c Uprise, Darfur problem, Free Tibet and Falungong movement, and there is plenty of evidence. We are from a country that is under attack, we will do our best to protect our country's interest.

You are making the protest a joke with such silly statements, where is the evidence for the CIA in Darfur? What exactly would their motive be?

I am very glad I live in a country where democracy exists and you can protest so freely, about any issue just be grateful for that and the fact your own goverment does not allow it.

Yes there is a Chinese side to the Tibet issue but comments like the CIA did it all just makes your arguement sound ridiculous and like a cliche of a red gaurd.

You are not convinced, are you? Tibet has been officially part of our history since 12th Century. Tibet claimed independence in 1913 as they were encouraged by the British Colonizers from India. No government in China had ever proved the self-declared independency. Tibet has never been recognized as a country internationally, not even before Communists took power.
    You're missing the irony. Irish patriots declared independence at the GPO even though Ireland had not been recognised internationally at that time and had been part of the United Kingdom and governed by Britain for hundreds of years.

And you chose this location to assert Chinese domination of Tibet?

In politics, this kind of mistake is referred to as an 'own goal'.

Fire your media handlers.

Lets not get ahead of overselves now:

* 4,000 to 6,000 civilians killed - Edward Timperlake.[15]
    * 2,600 had officially died by the morning of June 4 (later denied) - the Chinese Red Cross.[10] An unnamed Chinese Red Cross official estimated that, in total, 5,000 people killed and 30,000 injured.[16]
    * 1,000 deaths - Amnesty International[10]
    * 7,000 deaths (6,000 civilians and 1,000 soldiers) - NATO intelligence.[15]
    * 10,000 deaths in total - Soviet Bloc estimates.[15]
    * in excess of 3,700 killed, excluding disappearance or secret deaths and those denied of medical treatment - PLA defector citing a document circulating among officers.[15]
    * 186 named individuals confirmed dead as at the end of June 2006 - Professor Ding Zilin.[17]

(from Wiki)

Oh vs:

0 deaths - two student leaders on State Tv

1916 uprising against a superpower (which claimed ancient rights to dominate Ireland) that suppressed the religious and economic freedom of the people. Put down with excessive force, but inspired the ultimate independence of a small nation.:D

I'm sure there are less inappropriate places in Dublin for a superpower to protest about unflattering media stories.

The Chinese community here in Dublin has every right to protest outside the GPO. What you said looks quite bullying TBH, especially when Chinese viewpoint does not get airtime here.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cliste wrote: »
    0 deaths - two student leaders on State Tv
    [sarc]Lets believe the student leaders, then. They wouldn't want to lie on State TV[/sarc]

Oh, and how's Google these days in China? Still controlled by the government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 lonesome

It's probably going to be in paper format - but they may put it up on www.therecord.ie (Trinity's local newspaper). (Might have to wait some time though).

I will not try to talk about the whole issue of Tibet (that would take a whole supplement, if not a book) but I'll try to present what many Chinese people feel about the situation (something that I had felt was lacking in the media here)

well, "Free Media" has right to determine what to broadcast to the public.

The Chinese community here in Dublin has every right to protest outside the GPO. What you said looks quite bullying
    Bullying? How so? I did not say you cannot demonstrate.

You're quite free to demonstrate in Dublin and equally so, you're free to choose venues that are inappropriate from a historical point of view.

Did you get a chance to read the Proclamation of Independence while you were there?

lonesome wrote: »
    well, "Free Media" has right to determine what to broadcast to the public.

Indeed - if it so chooses to self-censor itself then since we live in a more free society than in China (let us not forget that no Chinese person will argue that it's less free in Ireland) we can criticise the media and put forward our own views.

And if chooses to give half-truths and misinformation, well, we can react to that too. Chinese propaganda and "free media" (what you call it) propaganda is still propaganda at the end of the day - just because they willingly choose to distort the situation doesn't make them any less culpable (and if I may argue, they are in fact more so).

• Advertisement

Bullying? How so? I did not say you cannot demonstrate.

You're quite free to demonstrate in Dublin and equally so, you're free to choose venues that are inappropriate from a historical point of view.

Did you get a chance to read the Proclamation of Independence while you were there?

It appeared as though you were trying to intimidate them out of going there again, as the site is too 'sacred' to the Irish.

And no, I'm not Chinese. Funny, people always think I'm Muslim too when I speak out against the war or against Muslim-bashing.

I dunno, maybe it's just that I've been to many countries all around the world, and have seen that they're not as bad as we think they are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement