Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese people's protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Cliste wrote: »
    don't expect an entire 4 million to change their mind over the protest....

:):)haha
    i am not that naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

MasterSun wrote: »
    i believe politics is prior to eco

only in propaganda/media. to think so would be extremely naive.

same can be said for almost every country too tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

lonesome wrote: »
    we live in Ireland and we love it.
    Frankly, we never expect to change people's mind but we need to be treated equally fair by the media.
    Write a letter to the Irish Times?

But go easy on the 'Dalai Clique', 'Dalai is a Nazi', 'we own Tibet' phrases.

They like a short, calm, reasoned, logically-laid-out letter.

only in propaganda/media. to think so would be extremely naive.

same can be said for almost every country too tbh.

politics vs eco.

i think this debate is similar to
    the stakeholders theory on business ethics Vs the Shareholder's theory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

we live in Ireland and we love it.
    Frankly, we never expect to change people's mind but we need to be treated equally fair by the media.

I can't argue with that mindset, however here you need to be able to manipulate the media, and while opening my eyes to various facts you still haven't convinced me overall...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 lonesome

I can't argue with that mindset, however here you need to be able to manipulate the media, and while opening my eyes to various facts you still haven't convinced me overall...

well, just show u how we are treated by "fair" media

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

well, just show u how we are treated by "fair" media

Right, buy the Guardian!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭yawtin

Tomas_V wrote: »
    Write a letter to the Irish Times?

To be honest I did comment on BBC "Have Your Say" on boycotting Qlympics, but my letter never get approval. Most of the approved letters supported "Free Tibet", some said they think politics and sports should be seperated, but very few were pro-China.

But it is a good suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Pro C

It appeared as though you were trying to intimidate them out of going there again, as the site is too 'sacred' to the Irish.

And no, I'm not Chinese. Funny, people always think I'm Muslim too when I speak out against the war or against Muslim-bashing.

I dunno, maybe it's just that I've been to many countries all around the world, and have seen that they're not as bad as we think they are.

See Cliste, we do live in a internet age where you can watch US election in your bed or maybe not if you chose not to, but the point is that Irish economy only took off in the last ten years, the pace of people's knowledge about the world can't matched with the economy, therefore you have a lot to catch up which indicates there were lots you don't know. Just like this one, you learnt a few things today.

You do have much more wealth and should exact the maximum out of it rather than going for many holidays a year, vast majority of whom would choose get drunk in the night and recover on the beach on the next day.

I sincerely advise to travel around the world at a young age not until a pensioner, learn the fact in your own eyes, the world is much different from what you get from the BBC in your living room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jenny82288228

micmclo wrote: »
    And many on student visa's but working full-time which they are not supposed to do.
    And many attending English language schools that exist only on paper.

It's been posted here by MasterSun that the 2006 Census shows 11,000 thousand Chinese people here. Could be far higher, nobody knows.

It's a relevant point, getting 1200 people to a rally is impressive. But I realy doubt the Chinese population in Ireland is so low as around 11,000 even if that figure is two years old
    You're so wrong.Don't you know how many Chinese students are doing Masters or PHDs in Ireland? Don't you know how much the Chinese students have spent just on the tuition fees? Let me tell you something:I did 5 years' undergraduate and 1 year postgraduate, I spent at least 70k euro in Ireland. I don't see there's anything wrong to work full-time.Chinese people work hard,are not like some Irish knees down on the street and beg for food and money!

• Advertisement

Chinese people work hard,are not like some Irish knees down on the street and beg for food and money!
    Insulting us is not the way to get us to agree with you.

Why did your ambassador decline an invitation to speak on RTE Radio's main morning news show this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

the Irishman in the street would see it as indicating that the Chinese in Ireland have a greater allegiance to their home country than to this state.
    What the hell do you expect? If you were to emigrate to the UK, would you swear an oath of allegiance to the queen?
    Mordeth wrote: »
    that is nonsense, if the olympics were being held in the states the protests would be several times larger than they currently are.
    Would they? The games were held in Atlanta in '96. The Winter Games were held in Salt Lake City in 2002. The World Cup was held in the US in '94. I don't recall any major protests before any of those events (I could be wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

A lot has changed since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dyu2

It's great that Chinese and Irish can have discussion about what happened in last weeks. Actually, if you know anything about confucius and his famous words "It is such a delight to have friends coming from afar". You will understand that Chinese always welcome all other nations to ask, to talk up with us and to visit us.

But Chinese people reject who makes indiscreet remarks or criticisms, who's tring to point and control what China should do. I believe if there isn't 100% perfect human rights in any nations of the world, then no one should be a cut above than other nations.

Each nations people can control their destiny. In China, In past 3000 years, more than 20 dynasties were builded up and destroied by Chinese people their own. We have own culture, own logic and own behavior guide line, we can take responsibility for our life and country.

At last, welcome to China, welcome to BeiJing, have a look yourself. Your supporting and understanding is still vey important to us.

Why did your ambassador decline an invitation to speak on RTE Radio's main morning news show this morning?

Why has he to go when he was invited? He does not need to take orders from you media.

humanji wrote: »

Exactly, but China was and is always part of China (well to whom did not learn Chinese history from the biased western media, press and database), that hasn't change.

So, what are we expecting on 2012, or the forthcoming Olympics?

Here is another one, during 2012 we may protest for the freedom of Falkland, and the next US Olympic, we may protest for the freedom of Hawaii, here is the fact:

Falkland, 300 miles from Argentina, 8,000 miles from England,

Hawaii, 2,000 miles from North America,

And the history of indepence of those were all from your own creditable source, wiki.

Does that mean, whoever invades a place it become his? So, just say the Chinese invaded Tibet in 1950, by your western logic Tibet is justified to be part of China then, let alone Tibet was alway part of China.

If the western is doing wrong, don't criticise others until correct your own act, that's mutual respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

djpbarry wrote: »
    What the hell do you expect? If you were to emigrate to the UK, would you swear an oath of allegiance to the queen?
    No, but I wouldn't march down Oxford St. waving an Irish flag and demanding that the BBC alter its coverage of Irish events either.
    djpbarry wrote: »
    Would they? The games were held in Atlanta in '96. The Winter Games were held in Salt Lake City in 2002. The World Cup was held in the US in '94. I don't recall any major protests before any of those events (I could be wrong).
    This was before the Iraq War.

The summer games were held in L.A. in '86 during the Reagan administration. Again, unless I am very much mistaken, there were no protests, aside from the Soviet-led boycott (I stand to be corrected on this - I was quite young at the time!).

My point is that since Sept 11th, George W. has helped make america one of the most hated countries in the world, with people viewing all of america in the same way they view him. There's been many protests against America since then and if they had a major world sporting event, then it's a safe bet there'll be protests too.

• Advertisement

Pro C wrote: »
    Here is another one, during 2012 we may protest for the freedom of Falkland, and the next US Olympic, we may protest for the freedom of Hawaii, here is the fact:

Falkland, 300 miles from Argentina, 8,000 miles from England,

Hawaii, 2,000 miles from North America,

And the history of indepence of those were all from your own creditable source, wiki.

Does that mean, whoever invades a place it become his? So, just say the Chinese invaded Tibet in 1959, by your western logic Tibet is justified to be part of China then, let alone Tibet was alway part of China.

Go to the Falklands and ask them who they'd want to be ruled by. They won't be begging for independence.

Go to Hawaii and ask them who they want to be ruled by. They won't be begging for independence.

Go to Tibet and ask them who they want to be ruled by (but make sure you do it in secret ;) ). Wanna guess what the answer will be? (I'll give you a hint: it's not the same as the Falklands and Hawaii!).

Now here's a little gem:
    If the western is doing wrong, don't criticise others until correct your own act, that's mutual respect.

Who exactly is Ireland oppressing? Or do we have to speak for all western countries. Sure why not speak for all countries then. Can I now speak for China?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

There actually is a Hawaii independence movement as far as I know - Congress recently passed laws that dealt with the issue.

But I feel that pointing to other faults detracts from the main point of this topic. Most moderate Chinese people will say that undoubtedly Ireland is in a much better situation than China in many ways. We can have a free debate on the internet about this issue is a good example of freedoms we have that are not in China fully yet.

But what moderate Chinese people say (both in China and those living abroad) is that these kind of angry protests against the Olympics and the bias being perpetuated in the media does not help any cause as the extremists gain greater sway in China and moderates are either sidelined or converted. This is the greatest danger for China right now (from what I saw of it) - the good work of the last 30 years may be lost through external interference leading to extremists gaining the popular support. The development has been deadly at times but as the Swiss IOC member says - democracy took over a hundred years to develop in Europe, we cannot expect them to have everything perfect in 30.

So while I probably won't agree with your viewpoint humanji I as a moderate (and quite liberal on many issues actually) do not believe arguments like the ones Pro C has stated are valid in this discussion. The Falklands issue is not something we're debating now, we are looking at Tibet. Save that debate for another day.

Go to the Falklands and ask them who they'd want to be ruled by. They won't be begging for independence.

Go to Hawaii and ask them who they want to be ruled by. They won't be begging for independence.

Go to Tibet and ask them who they want to be ruled by (but make sure you do it in secret ;) ). Wanna guess what the answer will be? (I'll give you a hint: it's not the same as the Falklands and Hawaii!).

Have u ever being to China?
    Have u ever being to the Tibet Autonomous Region?
    If not, i suggest u need to pay a visit there, b4 u speak.

i lived in China for many yrs, and i had 1 Tibetan classmate.
    he told me that 95% of the people are against the Independant movement in Tibet.

Why?
    1. Tibatan do Not need to pay any income tax in the TAR, and the famers receive tax-free leases of land.
    The Central Gov in Beijing pays 90% of the expense of the TAR's gov.

if Tibet become a country, where would its gov obtain its revenue from?
    do u think tibetan would still pay no income taxes?
    do u think they would be happy to pay taxes?

Tibet Through Chinese Eyes
    http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/199902/tibet-china/2

2. frankly speaking, Han, Hui and Tibetan are not treated equally, minorty groups in CHINA are treated more favourablely.
    the 1 child policy does not apply to Tibatan and Hui, it only applies to han people.
    Tibetan are entilted to have more statutory hoildays than Han.
    Tibetan secoundary students who set their Uni entrance exams are given extra points.

3. the Central Gov had spend billians on improving infrasturtures and other facilities in TAR,
    the average life expextancy of tibetan rose form 36 years (1950's figure) to 65 years (1990)
    the poor and the olderly are properly looked after.

where b4 the Dalai's Gov was in control, there were Slavery, no one cared about the poor people.

do u think the tibetan want to go back to live in a feudalism world?

legirons-200x195.jpg
    The Life of a Tibetan Slave
    http://rwor.org/a/firstvol/tibet/tibetsd.htm

4. tibet and han had being a family for many years.

5. since the liberation of tibet,
    for the 1st time in Tibet history, ordinary residents of tibet could have a say in its gov.
    Local elections in Tibet
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/monitoring/36651.stm

do u think the majority of tibetan want to go back to the religous dectator?

Go to Tibet and ask any Tibetan if they want to be free of China. They'll all say no because they are afraid to speak out against China. Freedoms are being clamped down on. This isn't right, in any country. I honestly don't see how you can say that it is. And it's insane how much deflection is going on: "Well America/Britain/France is worse, so China is grand." Then the constantly referring to a Buddhist monk as a dictator to paint him as a villain. There are much better arguments you could make.

Stop blindly backing a corrupt government, there's no reason to. Think about what is right and what is wrong. Should every one be equal, or should the few look down on the many? The whole point of the Olympics is to bring people together, to create a spirit of unity and equality. So how can these games be held in a county who's government spits in the face of this goal?

Every country has problems with their governments (I'd say Ireland has more problems than most :D ), but we can do something about it. We don't have to just point out flaws in other governments to try and make ourselves look better. That achieves nothing.
    do u think the majority of tibetan want to go back to the religous dectator?

They should be free to find out and choose for themselves.

No, but I wouldn't march down Oxford St. waving an Irish flag and demanding that the BBC alter its coverage of Irish events either.
    You could if you wanted to, but you would have little reason to. However, I don't think this was the principle motivation behind the demonstration.

People are free to hold demonstrations in Ireland to draw attention to just about anything, regardless of their nationality. Long may it remain so.
    This was before the Iraq War...
    ...but AFTER (or during) military involvement in Panama, Grenada, Honduras, El Salvador, Lebanon, etc.
    My point is that since Sept 11th, George W. has helped make america one of the most hated countries in the world, with people viewing all of america in the same way they view him.
    America was hated in many parts of the world in the 80's too, especially in Latin America.

I should make it clear that I am not defending the actions of the Chinese authorities, merely pointing out inconsistencies. For example, it has been pointed out that the US is none too popular at the moment, due mainly to their invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan. But Britain is also involved in these conflicts and I am not aware of too many objections to their staging of the 2012 Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Nice article there MasterSun.
    Doubt many around here will bother with it though.
    Certainly puts a big hole through the propaganda that China is planting Han Chinese into TAR; which some posters here have actually compared to the Ulster Plantations!
    One thing people fail to comment on is the sheer arrogance of western countries to advocate redrawing China's borders.
    China is a huge country that is a super power, they are not going to redraw their borders to suit us, period.
    If anything, they will draw the conclusion that greater freedoms foster seperatists, therefore those freedoms should be withdrawn.
    I could imagine them starting by shutting down some of those temples.
    The monks via connections with the Dalai Lama group are obviously in league (with seperatists). Infact arms were recently found in one such temple.
    Just like when guns are found inside mosques in Iraq.

Go to Tibet and ask any Tibetan if they want to be free of China. They'll all say no because they are afraid to speak out against China. .

ask them in privte, if u think they will not speak the truth openly.
    as u have said in ur post prevoiusly.
    make sure you do it in secret
    Freedoms are being clamped down on. This isn't right, in any country. I honestly don't see how you can say that it is.
    what freedom?
    rioters are not freedom fighters
    no gov would allow riots .
    1206024611560_1206024611560_r.jpg
    t1home_1400_tibet_afp_gi.jpg

Stop blindly backing a corrupt government, there's no reason to. Think about what is right and what is wrong. Should every one be equal, or should the few look down on the many?

i agree there are many offcials in the Chinses Gov are corrupters, so are the rest of the world,
    [mod snip]

from most Chinese i know, they dislike the corruption in the Gov, but many are still supporting the Gov, because corruption is unavoidable in any types of gov.

plus, it is a fact that
    the Chinese Gov did alot of good things for the Tibetan people.

1 question for u
    when dalai was in power
    did he do anything or make a tinny effort to free the slaves in Tibet?
    did he spend much money on improving the life of ordinary Tibetan?

Video by Monarex Hollywood Corp.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsoc4-QnplY
    http://www.monarex.com/chinacol.htm

all of a sudden,
    after he fled to India in 1959, he became a good guy in ur eyes?!
    he is an human right supporter now?
    this is the greatest Irony in the last 2 centurys

extracted from http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A34385367
    In 1965, 80 industrial enterprises were established in Tibet. Employing close to 10,000 workers, they covered the building, power, motor vehicle repair, lumber, tanning, borax and coal industries. The total industrial output value reached 28.83 million yuan that year. The government has paid close attention to the development of the national handicrafts. In 1965, it had widened to encompass 33 trades and its total annual output value rose from 1.24 million yuan before the Democratic Reform to 8.9 million yuan, showing a 7.2-fold rise. Tibet was short of petroleum and coal, and energy supply was inadequate in the past. To change the situation, a power station was built in Lhasa in 1956. It was the first public power enterprise in Tibet. Tibet is rich in geothermal resources and the state invested in building a geothermal power station in Yangbajain with the biggest generating capacity in China. In 1991, the installed power generating capacity of Tibet reached 140,000 kw and the annual output of generated electricity came to 400 million kwh. After 40 years of construction, Tibet boasts a dozen or so modern industries such as power, mining, building materials, lumber, wool textile, printing and food. Employees of state-owned enterprises total 51,000. In 1991, the total industrial output value came to 403 million yuan, a rise of 5.3 times that of 1959. The output value of the handicrafts stood at 46 million yuan.

Tibet had no regular highways in the past. After the peaceful liberation of Tibet, the first large-scale construction project was to build highways from Sichuan and Qinghai to Lhasa on the high mountain ridges with an average elevation of 3,000 meters. The Sichuan-Tibet Highway is 2,413 km long and the Qinghai-Tibet Highway 2,122 km long. Since then, the Xinjiang-Tibet, Yunnan-Tibet and China-Nepal highways have been built one after another. Currently, there are 15 arterial highways and 315 feeder roads, with a total length of 21,842 km, throughout Tibet. Except for Medog County which is located deep in the mountains, highways provide access to all the counties and 77 percent of the townships in Tibet. A highway network, with Lhasa at the center, consisting mainly of the Qinghai-Tibet, Sichuan-Tibet, Yunnan-Tibet and China-Nepal highways, has taken shape. In order to solve Tibet's fuel supply problem, the state allocated funds to build a refined oil transmission pipeline from Golmud in Qinghai Province to Lhasa. This 1,080-km-long pipeline has played an important role in guaranteeing energy supplies for Tibet in its economic construction. To meet Tibet's need to open to the outside world, since the start of an air route from Lhasa to Beijing in 1956, domestic airlines have offered services from Lhasa to Chengdu, Xian, Lanzhou, Shanghai and Guangzhou. International air links have been inaugurated between Lhasa and Kathmandu, Nepal.

Modern science and technology did not exist in old Tibet. The period since the Democratic Reform has seen the establishment of agricultural, animal husbandry, communications, power, construction, geological, water conservancy, meteorological, public health, pharmaceutical and educational research institutions in Tibet. They have trained Tibetan scientific and technical personnel. The Academy of Social Sciences of the Tibet Autonomous Region was set up in 1985. Currently, Tibet has 17 special scientific research institutions with 26,900 technical personnel. Over the past 40 years, 347 scientific and technological achievements have been awarded prizes at the autonomous regional level. Of these, 21 scientific research achievements such as "the comprehensive development and utilization of solar energy resources in Tibet" have been honored by state prizes.

The snowy peaks, famous monasteries and relics of historical interest on the Tibetan Plateau have attracted many adventurers and tourists from other countries. In opening up, Tibet's tourism industry has gradually flourished. At present, Tibet has 11 travel agencies and 19 tourist hotels and guesthouses with 3,600 beds for foreign guests. The autonomous region has opened over 60 scenic spots to the public. Between 1980 and 1991, Tibet received 150,900 overseas tourists.

Due to efforts made in the past 40-odd years the living standards of the Tibetan people have improved markedly. Most farmers and herdsmen have adequate food and clothing and some have attained relative affluence. In 1991, the average net income of farmers and herdsmen in the region was 455 yuan. Allowing for price increases, the figure was 2.6 times higher than the 159 yuan of 1979. In the Zholgyur Village, Yadong County at the foot of the Himalayas, the annual income of the 75 households was 361,600 yuan in 1986 and 74 households have built new dwellings. The per-capita income of residents in cities and towns is 2,120 yuan a year, 3.3 times higher than in 1981. By the end of 1991, savings deposits of city and township residents totalled 492.4 million yuan, over 500 times more than in 1959. Farmers and herdsmen have obtained considerable amount of means of production. Each household owns 6,021 yuan worth of fixed assets for production purposes and 75 head of cattle. For every 100 households, there are nine motor vehicles, six tractors, three power-driven threshers, and 12 horse-drawn carts. The average per-capita material consumption of farmers and herdsmen has increased enormously compared with the period before the liberation of Tibet. In 1991, the per-capita consumption of grain was 183.6 kg. Other figures were 3.6 kg for edible oil, 14.7 kg for meat and 50 kg for milk. While retaining their traditional diet, Tibetans have expanded it to also include more vegetables, eggs, wine, sweets and pastries. The living conditions of the people have improved markedly. According to statistics produced by the local government of old Tibet, of a population of 1 million in Tibet in 1950, some 900,000 lacked real housing. Currently, except for the pastoral areas, all households have fixed housing. In 1991, the per-capita floor space of city and township residents reached 13.7 square meters. In Gyangze County of Xigaze Prefecture, which has a population of 56,700, over 80 percent have moved into new dwellings, with a per-capita floor space of 40 square meters. The traditional way of life of the Tibetan people has been somewhat modernized. A sample survey shows that for every 100 urban households, there are 212 bicycles, 88 color televisions, 84 radio cassette recorders, 42 washing machines, 24 refrigerators and 26 cameras. The construction of various cultural facilities has increasingly enriched the ethical outlook and cultural life of Tibetan people.

Due to Tibet's extremely harsh natural conditions and its extremely backward social development in history, the level of economic development and the living standards of the people are still lower than the nation's average. In 1989, the government of Tibet Autonomous Region formulated the Strategic Ideas for the Economic and Social Development of Tibet. It has implemented the policy of opening up to the rest part of China and the outside world as well; exploring the regional, domestic and foreign markets; developing advantageous resources and stepping up development of key areas and key industries. The goal is to narrow as soon as possible the gap in economic development between Tibet and other areas of the nation in order to lay a solid foundation for the common prosperity of Tibetan and other ethnic groups.

Why has he to go when he was invited? He does not need to take orders from you media.
    Since when is an invitation an order? Although I must say that in Western society, it is polite to accept invitations as a gesture of respect to the people who offer the invitation. In this case it was our national broadcaster which has a very big support in this country. If your ambassador prefers to insult us, we can understand that message. That said, if it is the case that he is embarrassed about making a mistake at the conference or on account of not speaking English very well, that is understandable that he would prefer not to talk about it.

This thread is all about China not getting an opportunity to put its case through the media.

Then, when a a really good opportunity is offered to speak on a reputable program with a large audience of mature and reasonable Irish people, he turns it down.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jenny82288228

I never wanted to insult you Irish people, I just said the fact. Chinese people have better education and China is getting stronger and stroger. :)

• Advertisement

Now here's a little gem:

Who exactly is Ireland oppressing? Or do we have to speak for all western countries. Sure why not speak for all countries then. Can I now speak for China?

Somebody above pointed out to speak with proof, where do you get the idea of people in Hawaii or Falkland will not beg for independence, where is your proof then. The message I am trying to confer is that in our belief, the integrity of our motherland has the highest priority, even higher than Human rights if needed to. That's how much we will fight for. China will never tolerate and give any part to the British government not like some country did.

Let's focus on this point, do a survey here if you like in your way as a vote, ask as many Chinese as you like include the tibetans, if your rule is majority wins, then the vast majority will prefer China's Integrity than Human rights issue, simply because if you do nothing wrong in China, you won't be jailed or tortured, the Chinese government are not as crazy as your media portrayed. If you ask proof for this, you must have missed the protest on Saturday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement