Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese people's protest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jenny82288228

humanji wrote: »
    Go to Tibet and ask any Tibetan if they want to be free of China. They'll all say no because they are afraid to speak out against China.

I was wondering if you ever were in Tibet? It sounds like you were born there, you knew everything better than Chinese people! The most important thing for Irish people is to get back "Northern Ireland" but not to mind other country's business!!:)

No matter what you say or think, the fact is always the fact,Tibet is a part of China and people in Tibet are living happily!:)

Tomas_V wrote: »
    Since when is an invitation an order? Although I must say that in Western society, it is polite to accept invitations as a gesture of respect to the people who offer the invitation.
    This thread is all about China not getting an opportunity to put its case through the media.

Chinese people only accept friendly invitations!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Pro C

Since when is an invitation an order?

Since people drawing conclusions about the reason why he does not accept your invitation gives you impression that he is afraid to defend his position. This is from Thread #103 "He was invited to speak on radio this morning to discuss Mr Gormley's statement that his embassy was aware of the content of the speech, but declined the invitation. Thereby missing an opportunity to put China's point of view on our national media and giving the Irish people the impression that he is afraid to defend his position."
    This thread is all about China not getting an opportunity to put its case through the media.

Then, when a a really good opportunity is offered to speak on a reputable program with a large audience of mature and reasonable Irish people, he turns it down.:rolleyes:

Yeah, right. RTE, the national televison is not towards mature and reasonable audience? We did invite RTE to come along and see our protest, did they come? Do we need to notify the journalists the protest just because it is on saturday in case it is their day off? Isn't it their job to be there at first scene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

Do we need to notify the journalists the protest just because it is on saturday in case it is their day off?
    Yes, that's how it works. I've known people to organise events specifically to maximise the news coverage. And, the golden rule is never to pass up on an invitation to be heard on a national news program.
    Chinese people only accept friendly invitations!:)
    Very funny. But, the job of an ambassador is not about fun. It's about work. I am sure that our state broadcaster would have issued an invitation in a professional and businesslike manner.

Perhaps he'd prefer a spot on a children's TV show or maybe a one about cookery?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

MasterSun wrote: »
    i brought the paper, it's a bit disappointing, the editor only published 15 words and a single photo about the march. ( I was expecting more)
    the rest was about the walk out on the green party.

what did the Irish times say? any1 know?

IT is not published on Sunday. The protest made page 5. today.
    Good pic there of hyper-nationalist Chinese roaring at some braveejit who went up and brandished a "Free Tibet" sign at them!

Article reports on the protest, says it passed off peacefully, describes complaints that the "western media" (as opposed to say, the "Oriental Media" LOL) do not seem to lick China's bottom to everyones satisfaction...

• Advertisement

Yes, that's how it works. I've known people to organise events specifically to maximise the news coverage. And, the golden rule is never to pass up on an invitation to be heard on a national news program.

Either you are wired to the moon, or the journalists?
    Very funny. But, the job of an ambassador is not about fun. It's about work. I am sure that our state broadcaster would have issued an invitation in a professional and businesslike manner.

Perhaps he'd prefer a spot on a children's TV show or maybe a one about cookery?:D

Exactly, and that's why we can cook, and you need Marks & Spencer, or maybe, ahhh I will have a roll instead :D, typical.

Pro C wrote: »
    Either you are wired to the moon, or the journalists?
    You're new to media relations, aren't you?

The world doesn't owe you a living and it certainly does not owe you free TV time. You need to work hard to get either.

The world doesn't owe you a living and it certainly does not owe you free TV time. You need to work hard to get either.

The same to you unless you are somebody who gets money from women or men (gay):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Somebody above pointed out to speak with proof, where do you get the idea of people in Hawaii or Falkland will not beg for independence, where is your proof then.
    You are aware that it is not illegal to campaign for independence in Britain and the US. The Scottish National Party openly campaigns for Scotland to be an independent nation.

You're new to media relations, aren't you?

Fortunitely, I do know quite a bit of that. I personally, along with many Chinese people here genuinely regarded Irish paper showed high level of professionalism and objectivity before last Saturday.

I know, in fact, in Ireland good journalists are hunting for news, lazy journalists are waiting for news, crazy journalists are making up news, and the middle ones are not bordered by news as they know when they get the news, it won't end up in the paper anyway as the editors are clearly biased which was demostrated by the none explosure of such a hugh event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

it won't end up in the paper anyway as the editors are clearly biased which was demostrated by the none explosure of such a hugh event.

don't you mean the protest by a minority which received front page coverage on one of the Sunday papers, and was on page 5 or something of another one today? if that's not exposure then what is? a feature length film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fortunitely, I do know quite a bit of that. I personally, along with many Chinese people here genuinely regarded Irish paper showed high level of professionalism and objectivity before last Saturday.

I know, in fact, in Ireland good journalists are hunting for news, lazy journalists are waiting for news, crazy journalists are making up news, and the middle ones are not bordered by news as they know when they get the news, it won't end up in the paper anyway as the editors are clearly biased which was demostrated by the none explosure of such a hugh event.

Maybe most Irish people have absolutly no interest in the subject. Newspapers have to sell so if few people care then why bother printing it?

Sure it's posted above:
    The most important thing for Irish people is to get back "Northern Ireland" but not to mind other country's business!!

If you wanted media coverage, you should of started a riot :D

micmclo wrote: »
    Maybe most Irish people have absolutly no interest in the subject. Newspapers have to sell so if few people care then why bother printing it?

Sure it's posted above:
    The most important thing for Irish people is to get back "Northern Ireland" but not to mind other country's business!!

If you wanted media coverage, you should of started a riot :D

It is a contradiction, isn't it? You are or you are not interest?

That's off the line to say that we start a riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

What a laugh that protest was on Saturday, like come on, why weren't the Chinese demonstrating for something productive, like democracy in their own country?

Its a great thing that the Chinese community can protest here, unlike their friends and family back in China. Like get with the programme lads, its the human rights of your own people back home you should be demonstrating, not the feckin' Olympics or perceived media bias.....

The same to you unless you are somebody who gets money from women or men (gay):D
    :confused:Sorry, I'm not familiar with Chinese debating etiquette. Is this a traditional insult of some kind?

Why not just walk out instead?

RATM wrote: »
    What a laugh that protest was on Saturday, like come on, why weren't the Chinese demonstrating for something productive, like democracy in their own country?

Its a great thing that the Chinese community can protest here, unlike their friends and family back in China. Like get with the programme lads, its the human rights of your own people back home you should be demonstrating, not the feckin' Olympics or perceived media bias.....

Yeah, freedom of protest here, productive my axx, your media and people are not fecking interested

:confused:Sorry, I'm not familiar with Chinese debating etiquette. Is this a traditional insult of some kind?

Why not just walk out instead?

to this extend, agree to debate by principles

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

yawtin wrote: »
    D

A very old lady took her prayer's necklace out and she was obviously angery. She said we were invaders of Tibet and shame on us. Am I wrong to think she thought we were devils and the necklace can frighten us away?

I tell you what, regardless of whether I am pro-Tibet or anti-Tibet this here was completely out of order. I was near enough this when it happened.

The woman was at least 75 years of age and regardless of what she was saying the man that was screaming at her was a disgrace. He was lucky there was big crowd between me and him because i have never had such an urge before to break someones ****ing jaw. The man was about 20 to 30 and was screaming in her face. He was was being extremely aggressive and kept walking forward causing her to walk backwards which was giving her problems. She would had have fallen only there were so many people behind her. The people that were with him relaized what a complete c**nt he was being and two or three of them had to get him to stop. He disappeared into the crowd because i think he knew they were a lot of people around who were none too impressed. It was only after this that she took out her rosary beads.

What dont you post up the footage of this, I saw at least 4 or 5 protesters taping this or are you as good at censoring your news as your government?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yeah, freedom of protest here, productive my axx, your media and people are not fecking interested

Look, isn't that a bit churlish?

The main story on p.5 in the national newspaper. Big photo (the photo and article are almost 1/4 of the page). Quotes from the angry and aggrieved? Why aren't you happy?

Let's be honest here. I'd be skeptical that most people at the protest could give a fart in the wind what Irish people really think (or if they care/don't care). Your govt. doesn't care what we think either and the Irish govt. will expected to mind its own business on the wider issues.

The "protest" basically had nothing to do with Irish people at all - we've been told to butt out - so why not be happy with the, IMO, pretty decent coverage you got for it and stop whining about the fact the protest didn't lead off the 9oclock news.

Even superpowers and their citizens can't lead the news in every country when something happens which involves them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Errrm it was in the Irish Times today, didnt you see it? And you might be surprised to learn that a lot of Irish people are interested in China and the Tibet issue, they are just disinterested in a protest that involves supporting a vicious government that sees fit to suppress its very own people.

I'll ask again -why is the Chinese community in Ireland not doing something productive like protesting at the Chinese Embassy about the brutal regime that is in operation there? You guys are so dam lucky to be able to stand up to your government whilst also enjoying the protection of Irish law. Your brothers and sisters in China don't have that same luxury, why cant you stand up for your own people ? Wouldn't protesting against your government and the Communist Party be the patriotic thing to do ?

• Advertisement

Have you got a brain?!:D Do you normally use your ass to think!:D:D:D
    People back in China don't need to protest, because they are very happy with their lives, they love their country,so do the Chinese people in here.:)They're very happy to see their home country getting better and better.You just are afraid of China and are jelous of China.:)
    Let me tell you something, you poor non-educational pig, you are like a frog sitting just in your hole, can't see anything outside your world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

People back in China don't need to protest, because they are very happy with their lives, they love their country,so do the Chinese people in here.

you poor non-educational pig, you are like a frog sitting just in your hole, can't see anything outside your world.

Let's keep it clean.

However- anyone Tienanmen???:confused:That was a protest that was allowed:rolleyes:

...course they didn't want to protest:rolleyes:

enjoying the protection of Irish law.

It seems you really don't know anything of your country. Are you really Irish? I doubt it!

"Irish law"??? You have "IRISH" law, you copy everything from Great Britain, you have no laws of your own!!! Go to some web page and check it! You are a big laugh!!!!:D:D:D:D

It seems you really don't know anything of your country. Are you really Irish? I doubt it!

"Irish law"??? You have "IRISH" law, you copy everything from Great Britain, you have no laws of your own!!! Go to some web page and check it! You are a big laugh!!!!:D:D:D:D

You know becoming a 'martyr', getting banned for the cause- 'proving' there's no free speech, you will lose support from the Irish, I don't know the Chinese might love ya...

but hey you're a big girl aren't ya- coming over here, posting your comments.:rolleyes:

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Let's be honest here. I'd be skeptical that most people at the protest could give a fart in the wind what Irish people really think (or if they care/don't care). Your govt. doesn't care what we think either and the Irish govt. will expected to mind its own business on the wider issues.

Good talking, after all, if we all care our own business, it wouldn't be any non-sense here anyway.

But your people pointing your finger to us first, ist't it?

Cliste wrote: »
    You know becoming a 'martyr', getting banned for the cause- 'proving' there's no free speech, you will lose support from the Irish, I don't know the Chinese might love ya...

but hey you're a big girl aren't ya- coming over here, posting your comments.:rolleyes:

No need your support!!! Really!!!

Ireland
    too small to support other countries, while you are being supported by the other countries!!!:):D

Good talking, after all, if we all care our own business, it wouldn't be any non-sense here anyway.

But your people pointing your finger to us first, ist't it?

Actually I would have put it that the Tibetans raised a point, and as part of the international community (Who has a trade deficit with China of 3bn) has taken an interest in the situation, and despite our best efforts in finding the truth we come up against pure propaganda from the Chinese side,

Listen we don't want injustice, that is all.

Just watched questions and answers on RTE, like it or not?

Tibet is always part of China at any point in time, their own currency and language does not constitute a country and not recognized by 200 countries in the world nor the UN,

China will host a good Olympic, IOC set terms and conditions for the 2008, how many people can remember the 2000 Olympic should be ours without the 2 fraud IOC members, is it treating China fair?

China has human rights issues, so does where it was originated, Guantanamo Bay detention camp, so what the f?

Mr. Liu walked out the Green's party conference, he has all our support and we did boycott Sony for years, it might just be a bullying tactic but the truth is we would cut the trade or at any expense,

Last point to make, we don't need the Olympic to show how great China is, as we are great already, Chinese abroad feels proud what China has achieved.

If the west are not happy about how the Chinese government's rule of the game, then learn to deal with it

No need your support!!! Really!!!

Ireland
    too small to support other countries, while you are being supported by the other countries!!!:):D

are you trying to insult us?

Yes we do rely on foreign trade as a means to keep are economy at such high levels, but sure your country does well off Ireland (they get more money from Ireland in trade then they spend on Tibet(according to one of the links I was sent to it was US$40million))

Not to sound racist or anything, but there are plenty of Chinese here for work...

As for not supporting other countries, do you mean we don't own and control a region the size of tibet (for example) well no, we don't. But we have more peacekeeping troops then the US for example.

This isn't a competition. Show me concrete proof that the Tibetans don't want freedom, and I will gladly cross the barricades...

• Advertisement

where it was originated, Guantanamo Bay detention camp, so what the f?

Mr. Liu walked out the Green's party conference, he has all our support and we did boycott Sony for years, it might just be a bullying tactic but the truth is we would cut the trade or at any expense,

Last point to make, we don't need the Olympic to show how great China is, as we are great already, Chinese abroad feels proud what China has achieved.

If the west are not happy about how the Chinese government's rule of the game, then learn to deal with it

The problem is of course that the people under Chinese rule aren't happy with that rule.......

This isn't about America, this is about China, set up another thread to discuss America, I will gladly America-bash with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement