Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking advice online

• 12-04-2008 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

In regard to the rag2gar thread I was just thinking about how many people would and wouldn't take advice in this situation.

You get to the final 3 of a WSOP satellite online, There is only 1 package, a few friends are railing you and in contact by phone,

Would YOU take advice from them on hands. Including telling them your holdings, exchanging notes on players etc. ???

Would you take advice from players while in an online tourney ??? 17 votes

I would take the advice from others
    0%
    I wouldn't take the advice from others
    100%
    the whole year innmdwexfordtribulusDaithioDocOThe SnapperDuff Man Jr.ArmaniJeanssboba_fett3099bopscorkie123themadchefluckyluckyGillybean72FrazzledKINGofHEARTSCourierCollie 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Exchanging notes on players can be done in live tournies aswell, cant see anything wrong with that. Id discuss hands afterwards, I might tell them what I have during the hand but I wouldnt expect them to tell me what to do - I wouldnt listen anyway, Im a better player than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

In regard to the rag2gar thread I was just thinking about how many people would and wouldn't take advice in this situation.

You get to the final 3 of a WSOP satellite online, There is only 1 package, a few friends are railing you and in contact by phone,

Would YOU take advice from them on hands. Including telling them your holdings, exchanging notes on players etc. ???

a couple of years ago i went very deep in the poker millons on stars and to be honest i ****ted myself and phone a friend when there was only 200 people left and asked for advice . i had a good few chips then and he gave me advice on wat hds to play i ended up 18th now if that was cheating then i think everyone done some form of cheating at sometime in there life .now my friend had no call on wat i did but i put his advice to good use .

at the wsop last year we were down to the last 59 people with 53 getting tickets to main event and playing hd for hd .
    we got a 15min break and when i passed the tables i saw that 20 of the 59 of us left were short stacked with 20k or less with blinds at 6k 12k .

we had all the chips on our table with the shortest at 80k . i said this to one of the guys on our table and he said it to the rest we all agreed to fold and just pass the blinds around .

we played 8 hds after that and we all got a ticket .the dealer said it was the best he ever seen . not right but not wrong either laughing .

now we saw something that played to our advantage was it wrong ?
    now what do people think is cheating

1 getting advice and using it

2 playing soft when its to your advantage

3 using poker software on line which gives u a edge

4 getting friends to rail them and advise them

they must be other stuff i have not said but is there anybody here that post here not used some of the above .i dont think so

if so then we must all be cheating :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

corkie123 wrote: »

if so then we must all be cheating :D:D:D

Yup,
    certain situations can arise where it would be idiotic not to take advantage of. I like your example of the table agreeing to fold around, and almost surprised that nobody decided to renege on the arrangment when they picked up AA. Now that would really be cheating in my reckoning( I'm quite the degen obv).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Lurker1977

Where is the Atari Jaguar option?????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

Yup,
    certain situations can arise where it would be idiotic not to take advantage of. I like your example of the table agreeing to fold around, and almost surprised that nobody decided to renege on the arrangment when they picked up AA. Now that would really be cheating in my reckoning( I'm quite the degen obv).

one guy folded showing KK i had to tell him he cant do that because we might be thrown out of tourie as none of us really knew wat the rules say about soft play :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Had a feeling there was going to be offshoots from the great debate. Personally online I can make my own decisions, 99% of the time I know the right one if my head rules...not always the case alas :o, it's when my heart or ego get the better of me that I will fook up. If i was playing a tourney online and asked for advice, it would really be more of my way of asking a question out loud to myself. I think basically you should be reliant on yourself when you play, if it was a situation like rag2gar found himself in or if a buddy of yours was interested and watching you while you were playing well it's not the stoning offense that some think it should be imo.

so basically in theory I would take advice but in reality I wouldn't be looking for it nor would i be arsed to ask for it in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

luckylucky wrote: »
    Had a feeling there was going to be offshoots from the great debate. well it's not the stoning offense that some think it should be imo.

Stoning sounds like so much fun. Though it would have to be somewhere public like merrrion square. And put on u-tube soon afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I've been following this debate for a couple of days now at it's very interesting. My own conclusion is that online poker cannot try to emulate live poker. Instead, it should try to be it's own entity, create it's own set of rules and have a whole new set of ethics.
    Essentially - become a different game.

In answer to the OP's question - If rules permitted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 sproodles

I have difficulty enough getting over it when I am the one making the wrong decisions.

Judge: "What reason do you give for repeatedly beating the victim over the head with a computer keyboard?"

Sproodles: "Well ye see I was heads up and he told me to raise your honour......."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

I see nothing wrong with it, but my ego wouldn't allow me to consider the person offering the advice might be a better player and therefore should be heeded. :cool:

Relatedly, I'd have no problem dispensing it, and indeed have on a few occasions even live, giving poker friends my read on a player and his tendencies and (very occasionally) any tells I've picked up. I've also received similar information from friends along the lines of "So-and-so never believes you have a hand if you 5 bet his big blind so if you get aces, 5 bet and watch him go ballistic all in".

I generally prefer to keep tells to myself for obvious reasons, but I remember one final table I was at where an aggressive anus had bad beat and luckbucketed his way to a monster chip lead while being generally abusive to the other players and dealers. I was short stacked and expecting to be out next, so at a smoke break (taken ironically at the insistence of the anus) I discreetly told 3 of the other players at the table I was friendly with a tell I'd picked up on the guy. I did indeed exit shortly after, but my 3 mates ended up left with the guy and he went out in 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 sproodles

Sounds more like poetic justice to me... oh the greyness of it all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

sproodles wrote: »
    Sounds more like poetic justice to me... oh the greyness of it all

Now that you've had your baptism of fire here :), who da hell are yeah? :p Welcome to boards btw.

On another note very appropiate that I got the last word in on the main thread, as it should be :D

Advertisement