Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

internet connection issues wii60!!

• 12-04-2008 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

i dont know if this is the right place for this (maybe there is a network forum?) so mods can move it if necessary.........

ok so i have a wii and a 360, im trying to get both connected to the internet (wii shoping channel & xbox live) using my 3 data modem on my laptop- i know about the lag etc....all im gona use it for is downlading demos/updates & virtual console titles.

so i got connected to xbox live no problem, and using my 1month free xboxlive membership downloaded a few demos and played a few games online & everthing was working well.

then i bought a nintendo wifi usb adapter, had a load of problems getting it set up but after upgrading to service pack 2 (old laptop) & a few other updates it eventully worked and i downloaded a few virtual console games, everthing going great i thought........until.

i hadnt used xbox live for a few weeks (since id got the wii conneced to the internet) then after id finished the single player call of duty 4 i tried to connect to xbox live to try out the multiplayer but it wouldnt connect. i went to the internet setting to test the xbox live connection & it failed at 'ip address'. it seems that when i connect the ethernet cable it shows up limited or no connectivity in the bottom right tray (probelm after i installed sp2) so i tried this: http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml
    i have ICS enabled etc. but it didnt work and i cant connect to xbox live :mad:

so i was busy at work for a few weeks and didnt used either for a while until today i bought mariokart wii and wnted to connect to play online, so i connected up my wifi adapter & low & behold.....it wudnt connect :mad::mad::mad:

i tried the usual unistall - re....etc. but everytime on the re-install i get this internet connection sharing error(6) and it wont install properly - this is the same error msg i got the first time i tried to install it (before i had sp2 & other updates installed)

so ive trawled the net for hrs today tring to find solutions for both connection problems, but to no avail :(

i cant get either console online at the mo & its doing me head in
    i wonder if the is some kind of conflict between the two???
    this is really pi$$ing me off at this stage any help would be much appreciated
    thanks........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Sounds like your ready to tear your hair out!

Can you check a few things:
    1) On your laptop, click Start, click on Run and in the 'open' box type the letters 'cmd' (without the quotes), then click on OK. This will open a command line window. In this new window, type
    'ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt' (again, without the quotes). Now click on Start again, click Run again and this time type in 'c:\ipconfig.txt' in the Open box. Click OK and it will open notepad with a bit of text in it. Copy that text and paste it in here.

2) Have you a firewall active on the laptop? Either the Windows one or a third party one (maybe one that's part of your antivirus software).

Some things you can try yourself:
    1)Set up one thing at a time. Don't go all out to make both work together. Get one working first and then try the other.

2)You say you tried the usual uninstall, reinstall. Did you also uninstall and reinstall the 3 modem or just ICS? It may be an idea to uninstall both, reboot the laptop and set them both up again.

2)Assign an ip address to the Wii and the 360. Installing ICS on your laptop turns your laptop into a DHCP server - basically this means it provides an ip address to a device that looks for one. By assigning an ip address to the device, you are taking one step out of the loop.
    ICS uses the ip range 192.168.0.x and your lan adapter on the laptop should be already at 192.168.0.1, if ICS is set up properly.
    You can give the Wii an ip of 192.168.0.55 (for instance) with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, a default gateway of 192.168.0.1. Set the DNS as 213.94.190.194 (Primary) and 213.94.190.236 (Secondary).

Whether that works or not, turn it off and give the 360 an ip address of 192.168.0.56, with all the other settings as above. Then see if that works.

Report back at that point, I'm off to play some Mario Kart myself now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Sounds like your ready to tear your hair out!

Can you check a few things:
    1) On your laptop, click Start, click on Run and in the 'open' box type the letters 'cmd' (without the quotes), then click on OK. This will open a command line window. In this new window, type
    'ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt' (again, without the quotes). Now click on Start again, click Run again and this time type in 'c:\ipconfig.txt' in the Open box. Click OK and it will open notepad with a bit of text in it. Copy that text and paste it in here.

2) Have you a firewall active on the laptop? Either the Windows one or a third party one (maybe one that's part of your antivirus software).

Some things you can try yourself:
    1)Set up one thing at a time. Don't go all out to make both work together. Get one working first and then try the other.

2)You say you tried the usual uninstall, reinstall. Did you also uninstall and reinstall the 3 modem or just ICS? It may be an idea to uninstall both, reboot the laptop and set them both up again.

3)Assign an ip address to the Wii and the 360. Installing ICS on your laptop turns your laptop into a DHCP server - basically this means it provides an ip address to a device that looks for one. By assigning an ip address to the device, you are taking one step out of the loop.
    ICS uses the ip range 192.168.0.x and your lan adapter on the laptop should be already at 192.168.0.1, if ICS is set up properly.
    You can give the Wii an ip of 192.168.0.55 (for instance) with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, a default gateway of 192.168.0.1. Set the DNS as 213.94.190.194 (Primary) and 213.94.190.236 (Secondary).

Whether that works or not, turn it off and give the 360 an ip address of 192.168.0.56, with all the other settings as above. Then see if that works.

Report back at that point, I'm off to play some Mario Kart myself now! :)

thanks for the reply,
    Ok sorry for the delay in replying heres my settings:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : seamus-laptop

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815/816 10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-20-22-41-AE

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-01-B1-15-F9

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter 3 DataModem HSDPA:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.206.150.233

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.206.150.233

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.31.140.69

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.11.12.13

Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.11.12.14

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

i have mcafee installed but have the personal firewall disabled whe trying to install/use these.

i have uninstalled/reinstalled nintendo wifi & 3 modem & rebooted-no joy.

regarding your coment about assigning ip addresses im afraid that goes way over my head - im not that tech savvy!! maybe you can explain step by step?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

sandt wrote: »
    i have mcafee installed but have the personal firewall disabled whe trying to install/use these.

i have uninstalled/reinstalled nintendo wifi & 3 modem & rebooted-no joy.

regarding your coment about assigning ip addresses im afraid that goes way over my head - im not that tech savvy!! maybe you can explain step by step?

Here is a good guide to setting up a static ip on your laptop. You will need to use the ip's given above.

Here is a guide to connection issues with ICS.

As for the Wii, here is a article from Wikipedia regarding the wi-fi adapter
    Like the Wi-Fi USB Connector software itself, ICS offers the user no configurable options. This means that ICS may not function as expected, or at all, in complex network environments. In addition, Windows cannot handle multiple ICS configurations simultaneously, or in other words, only a single application or network device can use and configure ICS at one time. This means that if your network is currently relying on ICS or you use software that utilizes it (such as Windows Media Center Extender for the Xbox 360),[11] you may not be able to use the Wi-Fi USB Connector at all

I don't suppose you had tried to set up windows media centre extender or something similar on your laptop recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Ok, ICS isn't set up properly, if it was, one of the adapters would have an ip of 192.168.0.1. Also, I'm interested as to how you used to have the 360 connected to the laptop before the Wii came along? I presume you had a network cable connecting to both. You'll need that cable again.

Ok, let's take this step by step.

1) Click Start, go to Run and in the box type 'ncpa.cpl' (without the quotes). In the window that opens, you'll have 3 connections, the data modem, a local area connection (probably with a red X on it) and the Wii USB jobbie. Taking the data modem one first, right mouse click on it and then click on properties. In the properties window click on the Advanced tab. If the 'Allow other network users to connect blah blah' option is ticked, click on it to remove the tick. Click OK to get out of it. Repeat these steps for the local area connection one and the Wii usb yolk.
    2) Now that ICS has been cleared, right click again on the data modem, go to properties and click the Advanced tab. Tick the box that says 'Allow other network users to connect blah de blah'. Beneath this is a drop down box, click on the arrow to drop it down, you should have 2 options in there, The Wii usb thingy and the LAN connection. Select the Wii yolk, make sure the box beneath this is ticked ('Allow other users to control blah blah') and click ok.
    3) Now right click on the Wii usb jobbie, again click on properties. This time, in the list under the heading 'This connection uses the following items', double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). If it all worked ok, you should see the ip address 192.168.0.1 entered in there. Click cancel all the way back to the network connections window.
    4) Now, right click on Local Area Connection. Again down to properties, again double click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP). Click the option to 'Use the following IP Address' and the boxes will become available for typing. Enter the ip 192.168.0.2 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Click ok and ok again to go back to network connections.
    5) Go to your 360. Plug in the cable you used to have connected between the pc and the 360. Start it up and pray to the gods of gaming it doesn't RROD. Go to the system blade and click (I will refer to pressing A on the controller as 'clicking') on Network Settings. The next section will have two tabs, Basic Settings and Additional Settings. Under Basic, click on the IP Settings section. Here you can enter values for IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway. In these enter 192.168.0.3 for IP Address, 255.255.255.0 for Subnet Mask and 192.168.0.2 for the Default Gateway. Click Done and you'll get an option to Test XBOX Live. Do this but it will more than likely fail on the DNS part. If (When!) it does, press B all the way back to the section with the Basic and Additional Settings tabs. In this section, go down and click on DNS Settings. In here you can assign Primary and Secondary DNS settings. Assign 159.134.237.6 for Primary and 213.94.190.194 for Secondary. Click Done and again, test xbox live. This time you should get 'Confirmed' all over the place with a moderate NAT. Don't worry about the moderate NAT for now, we'll worry about that later.
    At this point your 360 is now on Live. You may do a little dance.
    6) Wii time. I don't have my Wii connected to one of those USB yolks, so I can't guide you too well now. Luckily for us, some bright people invented an internet a few years ago and all the answers to life are on it. Have a look at http://wii.nintendo.co.uk/424.html, which seems to have a good guide at setting up the USB yolk. You may have to assign it an ip address but I'm going to assume you don't. Try it out, if it doesn't work, come back. If it does, you may do another little dance.

Best of luck lad, if none of this makes sense, you're screwed because that's as basic as I can make it! :)

Now, this time I'm off to play some C&C, Kane's Wrath! :)

Advertisement