Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Renault VRT Rip-off begins! Who Will Follow?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JHMEG wrote: »
    Point already made several times on this thread that Renault were making money at the lower price. People like you are happy for them to make even more money.

But everyone knows car makers are making money. What about the same cars in the class that are dearer still than the upped Laguna price?

Just because they chose to sell at a lower price for a while there is something worng?

Again what about shops having sales? Should we boycott every shop that has sales and demand tehy never lower prices because we dont like them to be seen makign money on full price goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

BrianD3 wrote: »
    And who are you to decide what is excessive profit? You constantly promote/defend Honda in this forum, I suppose Honda doesn't try to maximise profits :rolleyes:

You spout about market forces and then come out with this diametrically opposed statement.

Everyone here is a consumer. We DO decide what an excessive profit is, and if that wasn't enough, we also decide (as in the case of GM in the US) when there isn't a big enough deficit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Stekelly wrote: »
    Again what about shops having sales? Should we boycott every shop that has sales and demand tehy never lower prices because we dont like them to be seen makign money on full price goods?
    Shops that have sales are usually making enough of a margin to be able to sell stuff at a lower margin in a sale. So, yes I would be dubious. OTOH, other shops never have sales cos their margins are already low.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Point already made several times on this thread that Renault were making money at the lower price....

Not a lot... poor uncle Bill is on his uppers....

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bill-cullens-car-empire-hits-bump-on-83644m-last-year-losses-1352858.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ninty9er wrote:
    You spout about market forces and then come out with this diametrically opposed statement.
    Wrong. JHMEG is not "the market" and I highly doubt that he's a potential purchaser of a new Laguna no matter what price Renault sell it for. JHMEG has shown on numerous occasions that he's a Honda fan and like to bash European makes whenever he sniffs an opportunity. This thread is just more of the same.

You don't think it hypocritical that someone who names himself after a product (the EG Civic) of a multinational, profit maximising corporation starts moaning about a rival corporation making "excessive" profit even though he doesn't know what that profit is.

Never mind the fact that as I've stated numerous times already the Laguna is one of the cheapest cars in its class EVEN AT THE INCREASED PRICE. I don't see anyone having a go a VW, Peugeot, Ford and others who are selling their competing cars dearer. This thread is a load of crap but then I'd expect that in this forum.
    JHMEG wrote:
    OTOH, other shops never have sales cos their margins are already low
    Or cos demand is high and they don't need to have a sale. Unless you have inside information on margins you're not going to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

King Kelly wrote: »

Well you must factor the €2.3 million the group repaid Bill and also the fact that this com[any is the holding company fo 6/7 other companies so not just Glencullen Distribution.

We don't know if there were exceptional IS(P&L) items which may have caused a healthy gross profit to become an operating loss.

(I'm still searching and if I find the accounts I'll report back)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

everyone knows car makers are making money

This is it, folks. Simple as. All companies strive to maximise profits and so they should. If you don't agree with this system, it's time to move to, eh, Cuba :)

Some car makers are better than others at making profits. The new VRT regime will see profits shift alright. Do people really think BMW, who were very quick and the first to promise to pass on all savings to the consumers, were just being nice? Eh no :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

"The gap between diesel engines and petrol engines in manufacturing costs has narrowed considerably, yet the purchase price hasn't. I'm not the first to bring this up, and it was brought up long before now in the press. So don't be kidding yourself or trying to kid me."

This quote is from JPMG or a name something similar

Guys, the amount of money thats gone into the development of the current "standard" common rail diesel is huge. This has to be recovered.

To say that there is no difference in price between a petrol version (engineered 10 years ago) and a diesel (development costs still being recovered) is naive.

Oilrig wrote: »
    the amount of money thats gone into the development of the current "standard" common rail diesel is huge. This has to be recovered

Allow me to slightly re-phrase that:

the amount of money FIAT invested in the development of the current "standard" common rail diesel (from the initial research way back in the 60s) is huge but it is nothing compared to the amount FIAT will reap from all other manufacturers of common rail diesel engines anywhere in the world (as license fees) :D

unkel wrote: »
    All companies strive to maximise profits and so they should. If you don't agree with this system...
    ...don't let the fsckers away with it or vote with your wallet. Is what O2 are doing in the Republic with the iphone acceptable? (€399, vs €209 with O2 in NI) They are afterall just maximising profit...
    oilpig wrote:
    To say that there is no difference in price between a petrol version (engineered 10 years ago) and a diesel (development costs still being recovered) is naive.

Who said that?

@BrianD3, I'll thank you to stop targetting me personally. Where I got my username from etc is totally irrelevant to Renault increasing the price of the Laguna.

• Advertisement

...don't let the fsckers away with it or vote with your wallet. .

The only way to vote with your wallet in this case is to stop buyign cars full stop. Is that your plan?

The only way to vote with your wallet in this case is to stop buyign cars full stop. Is that your plan?

Well what do you think we should do? Just put up with it?

Well what do you think we should do? Just put up with it?

The car companies can sell cars at whatever price they like. It's their product. Why should customers have a say in the price just because they dont like it. It's our choice whether to buy or not. Are you going to extend this idea to all walks of life and demand that producers of all goods be only allowed make a certain amount of profit on the things they research, develop and make?

Who decides whats a fair price and after that why is it fair that private companies be made sell things at a price they cant decide themselves.

If I dont like the price of something , I dont buy it, simple as. I dont go moaning and whinging on the internet or otherwise that the big bad corporation are making too much money and should be made sell it to me cheaper because I want them too.

If I dont like the price of something , I dont buy it, simple as.
    So.. what are you saying.. that you vote with you wallet? Are you suggesting we shouldn't buy cars at all?

So.. what are you saying.. that you vote with you wallet? Are you suggesting we shouldn't buy cars at all?

Yes , If you dont like the price. I have no problem with the price of cars, which is why I directed that comment when I made it at you. It has no relevance to me.

In the UK base model diesel = £16,370 = €20,770. Add VRT, final price is €25,962.

In the UK base model diesel = £16,370 = €20,770. Add VRT, final price is €25,962.

Thats the Laguna yeah? The post July price here will be about what €750 dearer? Not a lot of people would be willing to travel for a saving of around €500 (which you could easily negotiate off anyway. but obviously a discount could be gotten in the uk too) after travel expenses.

That's the Laguna... currently 3k more here for one here.

People can't buy them new in the UK and bring the back without being hit for VAT a 2nd time. Thank SIMI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

How many hondas are cheaper in Ireland than the UK(ignoring VRT) JHMEG?

Cue another: ITS NOT ABOUT RENAULT WAH WAH WAH RIP OFF WAH WAH WAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Tragedy wrote: »

I'll let JHMEG speak for himself, but it's not really fair to be comparing us and them cause currency fluctuations mean that one day our cars are a bargain and the next day they're a rip off. That goes for any car, not just Honda.

What I'd be interested in is whether Hondas in other Eurozone countries are cheaper or not pre VRT than ours.

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »

I'm actually getting fed up of W ANKERS like you, not on boards a wet week, coming on this thread and attacking me personally. I'm leaving this thread to the Renault fanboys to have a bum fest. Good luck lads...

I'm actually getting fed up of W ANKERS like you, not on boards a wet week, coming on this thread and attacking me personally.

Do not resort to personal abuse, JHMEG. You should know better than that :rolleyes:

E92 wrote: »
    I'll let JHMEG speak for himself, but it's not really fair to be comparing us and them cause currency fluctuations mean that one day our cars are a bargain and the next day they're a rip off. That goes for any car, not just Honda.

It was JHMEG that brought up the uk price comparison a few posts back

Advertisement