Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up a bank account in america for the J1

• 12-04-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

heading to san diego on the j1 for the summer, but instead of stuffing my pockets with about 5k of dollars, whats the various ways or best way to bring money over? i was thinking of setting up an america bank account and transferring money over before i leave, is this possible? also is using my aib card an option or will they charge me through the nose for every transaction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

You won't be able to do it before you leave. You will have to do it while over there. Since September 11th it became nearly impossible to open a US account if a non resident. When i opened mine i needed my passport, another form of picture ID and a utility bill. I had to accompany the bill with a letter from the superintendent of the apartment i was renting. I know some banks ask for social security number.

Yeah you will be charhed for every transaction if you use your Irish bank card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

You DON"T need a social services number to open an account, Bank of America will open a free student account for you with just a passpoert and college ID.

a friend of mine whos in NY since january has said

I lived over there for a few years and opened a few different bank accounts while there. Some banks do want your social security number. They all make up their own rules and banks differ state to state. You used NY as an example. I used Cali as i went to college there for 4 years. And that is where this fella is going. Obviously he just goes to a bank that doesn't need one.

The regulations 31 CFR § 103.121(b)(i)A)(4)(ii) clarify that for a non-U.S. person the
    identification number shall be one or more of the following:
    • a taxpayer identification number (SSN)
    • passport number and country of issuance;
    • alien identification card number;
    • or number and country of issuance of any other government-issued
    document evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or
    similar safeguard.”

It is important to remember that banks establish their own customer identification
    programs and may ask for additional documentation than is described above because
    they are ultimately responsible for establishing the identity of their customers.

i assume bank of america is countrywide bank with the name .. and i reckon for one they knw come the end of may start of june they have hoards of irish students looking to set up accounts as quick as possible with them for only 3-4 months and for this reason they will be happy with a student identification and passport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

OP, 5K?:eek: Hope your a student thats living at home. What I did was got a Student credit card and put a load of money onto it, Americans use there credit card to pay for everything so there is no need to worry about them not accepting it. Your AIB card will work if it has a cirrus label on it, but you will be charged rediculous amounts per transaction, so if you need to use it make sure you take out a large amount!
    Nutty wrote: »
    You DON"T need a social services number to open an account, Bank of America will open a free student account for you with just a passpoert and college ID.

a friend of mine whos in NY since january has said

Nutty thats an awful statement to make when you haven't had any experience yourself. You do technically need a SSN to open a bank acc in the US, I'm assuming your friend is an illegal over there, and probably staying in a certain Irish area that I did last summer. The Bank Manager there will give bank acc's to people without SSN but is not ment too and its kept very low key! As your goin to SD OP you'll def have to wait till you get your SSN before opening an acc.
    Also they are not happy with Students comming for 3/4 Months and closing their accs again, so tell them you don't know when or if your going back home. If they think your only going to be there for a few months they're going to hit you with as many charges as they can in that time, otherwise they're not going to make any money.

• Advertisement

sharkDawg wrote: »
    Also they are not happy with Students comming for 3/4 Months and closing their accs again, so tell them you don't know when or if your going back home. If they think your only going to be there for a few months they're going to hit you with as many charges as they can in that time, otherwise they're not going to make any money.

Yep that's what i was trying to get at. The student accounts are designed for long term students studying over there who they will make money off for 3 or 4 years. Not the person who goes over and clears the account before coming home a few months later. While they may advertise certain things you need to open an account it is always at the bank managers discretion.

Sure just email a few banks before you head over and tell them you are going over to study on a J1 visa and what the process is to open an account. Don't mention that you will only be there for the summer.

sharkDawg wrote: »
    OP, 5K?:eek: Hope your a student thats living at home. What I did was got a Student credit card and put a load of money onto it, Americans use there credit card to pay for everything so there is no need to worry about them not accepting it. Your AIB card will work if it has a cirrus label on it, but you will be charged rediculous amounts per transaction, so if you need to use it make sure you take out a large amount!

Nutty thats an awful statement to make when you haven't had any experience yourself. You do technically need a SSN to open a bank acc in the US, I'm assuming your friend is an illegal over there, and probably staying in a certain Irish area that I did last summer. The Bank Manager there will give bank acc's to people without SSN but is not ment too and its kept very low key! As your goin to SD OP you'll def have to wait till you get your SSN before opening an acc.

No shawg hes out there since febrary as part of his college course hes doing his work experience in NY.. hes living in NJ ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭big_show

thanks for the replies, so a credit card seems like a good option? will i be charged for withdrawing money from the ATM as well with a credit card?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

big_show wrote: »
    thanks for the replies, so a credit card seems like a good option?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

yeah a credit card would be the easiest option cause it'll be accepted everywhere no hassle and you can pay it off online so you won't miss any repayments.

I brought a load of travellers cheques to Vancouver 2 years ago and it was the most hassle i've ever had in a bank...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Mygsy

i just opened an account in a local bank on the cape no problemo and no SSN either cos i didn have mine yet...suppose it just differs from bank to bank??
    5 grand??? ya mustn't be planning on working at all? i went with 600yoyos!
    oh put money in yer credit card acc or else yer irish bank will charge ya 4 taking money out plus ya wont have to worry bout paying yer bills!
    most american ATM's charge bout a dollar to take out cash but look around there's those that are free also!!!:)

Advertisement