Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was that snow on the Wicklow hills?

Options
  • 12-04-2008 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

Looked out the window late this arvo after a day of reading on the couch and swore I saw snow on the Wicklow hills (I guess that is them!) over to the West of Dublin. Sure it wasn't water with light shining off it. Seemed to be very white patches.

Internet has been stuffed this week and today so haven't been able to get temp checks all day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I saw it as well, fairly low down so I think that was probably lying hail. I couldn't see further up as they were shrouded in clouds, but it could have been snow and hail at the tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Id say it was hail from that storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Ta. Musta been heavy to see it so white from Dublin 4

BTW, I hate that low, lying hail...nearly as bad as cheating chilling winds ;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Well both yesterday afternoon and this evening Lugnaquilla was white looking from the west, the mountains to the north were clear but its peak was visibly white.

If its reasonably clear in the morning I'll try to get a few pics.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Id say it was hail from that storm.
    The bit on the hills probably was hail.
    But they panned to Kippure mountain and that was whiter and almost definitely was snow.
    Lugnaquilla as artic tree who can also see it has been snow capped for months on end now.
    It's firmly flying the flag I think for the mosts persistant snow cover on the island at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

If you can see from the loop before it expires, that orographic lift from a N NW wind blowing over or shrouding mtns and hills of Ireland NB Wicklow range, the snow would be produced for the higher peaks ie Lugnaquillia (or drizzle lower hills) not always as snow falling but more of crystallisation giving the appearance of snow. Think of it as freezing fog but shrouding the mountain. It can also give the same appearance as snow too.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭CM21

Have a look at the photos at the end of this page
    http://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?p=245181

Well based on that I think we can safely conclude that the whiteness on the low hills behind Tallaght and on Kippure and on Lugnaquilla is definitely snow.

I knew what was on lug was a good cover of snow anyway as through binoculars it looks thick and wavy.Lug is completely covered this evening.
    I wish we were keeping count of the number of days continous cover,it's surely a couple of months up there now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was up the Dublin Mountains today. 'Whiteness' today up there was most definietly hail and only to the Dublin side. When I went 'over', there was nothing on top or around Kippure. Took a few photos - will post later.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

I was up around Verschoyle and Saggart Hills yesterday evening after the major TS and it was also only hail up there too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement