Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rings for centrefire?

Options
  • 12-04-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

What type of rings do all ye people think are the best for a centrefire rifle?
    Weaver, warne etc?

Thinking of buying a nightforce scope and i want the best foe it!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

What type of rings do all ye people think are the best for a centrefire rifle?
    Weaver, warne etc?

Thinking of buying a nightforce scope and i want the best foe it!:)

hi pestshooter7 i was in island sports looking at scopes. price of scope was
    155.00euro great. plus mounts were 80euro:eek: bushill dusk and dawn scope 4x16x40 i only have a .22lf rinfire man in shop said good mounts
    will last a lifetime.this is my penny worth.steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Island sports one of the most expensive shops I've ever been in.

I use Warne mounts on mine, not had a problem with them so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

johngalway wrote: »

+ i on that warne are excellent mounts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Get mounts with that:
    1. Has 2 screws that hold the mounts to the rifle.
    2. Has 2 screws that hold the 2 halves of the rings together. It will be far more secure that way.
    MAKE SURE you get the correct size dovetail on the mounts that fit your rifle.
    CZ centerfire guns are 16mm wide whereas most others are 11mm. Sako, Tikka and others are different also.

I'm still waiting for my license to come through yet 11 weeks so far for a Mossberg 88 5/6 shot pump action shotgun and 5 weeks for my CZ Style 22lr.
    I have all the gear but no guns yet. I have brought a Nikko scope 8-32x60 IR £180 and have a pair of Sportsmatch UK ATP61 Ex High 30mm mounts for that £45. Will use the gun for target and some bunny banging.
    My son is in the process of getting license for a CZ .223 BUT this gun has a 16mm dovetail so he requires special mounts to fit the rifle. I have a pair of Warne Maxima Brno 16mm for a 30mm scope mounts got for him £35 part #15B1M. He will get a Nikko 6-24x56 IR or 4-16x50 scope for his gun. He will use his gun for fox's and bunnies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

johngalway wrote: »

are they standard warne mounts or the tactical ones?
    How much? I intend to but of the internet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

if you are putting a nightforce on then go for the creme de la creme,badger ordanance rings and bases,they're not cheap (about €500 for bases and rings)
    but you will never have to buy anything else again,top quality glass needs to be matched with top quailty set up.
    if you dont have the cash bite your lip and wait it out it will only pay off with the end result

.243 wrote: »
    if you are putting a nightforce on then go for the creme de la creme,badger ordanance rings and bases,they're not cheap (about €500 for bases and rings)
    but you will never have to buy anything else again,top quality glass needs to be matched with top quailty set up.
    if you dont have the cash bite your lip and wait it out it will only pay off with the end result

:confused::confused::confused: Lets be honest here who would pay €500 for a pair of mounts. How much better can they be? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

are they standard warne mounts or the tactical ones?
    How much? I intend to but of the internet!

Not got a clue, I bought them in the gunshop along with the scope.

Pestshooter7 what is the centerfire gun that you are thinking of getting as this would help with what type of mounts you should be getting for your gun;)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

i have burris signature zee rings.not an expert on set ups, as this was my 1st, but the idea seems to make sense. plastic inserts to protect the scope from any scratching, and more importantly bending, from the actual rings. i think they're still not available here yet but i got mine from the US.
    if ya wanna read more on it, the burris website explains them a bit better than i can, http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html . im happy with them!

• Advertisement

dos29 wrote: »
    i have burris signature zee rings.not an expert on set ups, as this was my 1st, but the idea seems to make sense. plastic inserts to protect the scope from any scratching, and more importantly bending, from the actual rings. i think they're still not available here yet but i got mine from the US.
    if ya wanna read more on it, the burris website explains them a bit better than i can, http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html . im happy with them!

sako make similar rings/mounts- I have them on 2 sako rifles;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Throw S&K scopemounts in Google and have a look. Bought their Skulpted Bases and split rings. Find them absolutely brilliant and they're extremely knowledgeable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

clivej wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused: Lets be honest here who would pay €500 for a pair of mounts. How much better can they be? :confused::confused::confused:

i did and never regretted it for a second,you are buying top class quaility(all their rings are even serial numbered for quailty control)because when a shot goes wrong you wont be questioning yourself as to "i wonder could the mounts be the problem".buy good once and you'll never buy twice"

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

I am using warne - no issues here

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I Have a set of Burris mounts on my remmy 700(220 swift), and a set of Warne mounts for my T3(.308). both are excellent and are not prone to becoming loose.

Its good pratice to check your mounts very so often anyway, so buying massively over priced mounts is not necessary.

Hezz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I have a nightforce extreme 12-42 x 56 on my tikka t3 .223 varmint

using sako high mounts and they are perfect. Have never let me down. Scope is awesome. Not the best light performance but as a functional target scope its class.

Shooting apples, oranges and eggs at a ranged 317 yards is no bother to it.

Vegeta wrote: »
    I have a nightforce extreme 12-42 x 56 on my tikka t3 .223 varmint

using sako high mounts and they are perfect. Have never let me down. Scope is awesome. Not the best light performance but as a functional target scope its class.

Shooting apples, oranges and eggs at a ranged 317 yards is no bother to it.

yeah got the 8 -32 +56 nightforce extreme on my 243-class :)scopes

Advertisement