Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stereotypes?

Options
  • 12-04-2008 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

If I had a euro for every time I've mentioned my veganism at a party and some plonker has bounded over from a drum circle and started farting on about angels and Tibet...I'd have enough money to hire a **** hot lawyer when I eventually snap and deck one of the bastards. Just because I don't like to eat animals or bits thereof, people assume things about my personality that just aren't true. Anyone else find the infinite stereotypes about vegans/veggies annoying? I don't mean the "it's unnatural/unhealthy stuff", I mean the "ye're all made of hemp and sleep in hammocks and can read tarot cards" crap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

lol

Maybe girls get that more than guys.
    For guys, it can be something along the lines of questioning your masculinity, in not so subtle ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I find that you either don't mention it or just be ready to nip it in the bud if some big discussion/ argument begins. I told the last guy who enquired reasoning/about the vegan diet that I wasn't going to preach it and he could look it up on the internet.

Obviously, those who are truely curious and not about to verbally attack me, I am quite happy to discuss it with. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I find that you either don't mention it or just be ready to nip it in the bud if some big discussion/ argument begins. I told the last guy who enquired reasoning/about the vegan diet that I wasn't going to preach it and he could look it up on the internet.

Obviously, those who are truely curious and not about to verbally attack me, I am quite happy to discuss it with. :)

I have no problem explaining my reasoning (I feel healthier, have miles more energy, I love the taste of the food, and I just flat out don't agree with eating flesh, secretions and zygotes when it's not neccesary), it's just the stereotypes that get me. And it's not as if I bang on about it constantly, it's just if someone asks me if I want a Baileys or a winegum, the automatic response is "no thanks, I'm vegan". This is normally met with a look of absoloute incomprehension by non-veggies, but there's always seems to be some dirty hippy there who decides I'm a kindred spirit...ha, it was so much worse when I lived in Galway, it has to be the hippy capital of the country

Peanut wrote: »
    lol

Maybe girls get that more than guys.
    For guys, it can be something along the lines of questioning your masculinity, in not so subtle ways.

Ya, my boyfriend is more or less veggie, he'll eat meat maybe once or twice a week, and a few of his mates definitely think it's a bit suspect :D they saw him eating tofu once...he's not goin to live that one down for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

... they saw him eating tofu once...he's not goin to live that one down for a while

How effeminate of him LOL.
    His mates should go downtown Shanghai and try taking the piss there.

• Advertisement

They're not even big manly men or anything..it's a slightly homo-erotic group if anything :), they're just madly attached to their protein

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If they question my manliness I make it clear who is the man. :cool:

:-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I'm totally vegetarian except in male company, when I always make a point of gnawing on fresh roadkill so nobody gets the wrong idea ;)

If they question my manliness I make it clear who is the man. :cool:

:-p

you da man :p

rockbeer wrote: »
    I'm totally vegetarian except in male company, when I always make a point of gnawing on fresh roadkill so nobody gets the wrong idea ;)

they'll never guess!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 viggi-tea

Its more irritating to me that when you tell people ur vegan they think you're some sort of anal-out-of-control healthy person or worse, that you're somehow appointed yourself as a sort of moral angel. Thats what bothers me the most, that people assume you are a very moral person overall!

I mean, how dare they attribute such noble traits to me?? The cheek! :p

Ha I know what you mean "why are you laughing at that crying child, I thought you were vegan?"

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

The other thing is people presuming you want to debate it all then time. Like when you're out having a pint trying to have a good time or just having some lunch, and people start trying to find holes in your morals, and expect to have a big debate about it then and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

Nature Boy wrote: »
    The other thing is people presuming you want to debate it all then time. Like when you're out having a pint trying to have a good time or just having some lunch, and people start trying to find holes in your morals, and expect to have a big debate about it then and there.

Tell me about it buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tyney

my favourite is "you must be missing out on something". To which I reply, yes, colon cancer.

I do realise that there is no proof that eating meat causes colon cancer, nor does a vegetarian diet prevent it, but it's usually enough to finish the discussion. Someone smart enough to debate this would usually have the manners not to

tyney wrote: »
    I do realise that there is no proof that eating meat causes colon cancer, nor does a vegetarian diet prevent it, but it's usually enough to finish the discussion. Someone smart enough to debate this would usually have the manners not to

I thought the link between colon cancer and red meat was very well established.
    My cousin had it 15 years ago and the doctors ordered him off meat then.

Advertisement